• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname your Pokémon?

Do ya?

• Yes

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 32 39.0%

• Total voters

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeeep... I nickname pretty much every Pokemon I get.
    Unless its a Pokemon that I catch just for the purpose of filling my Pokedex, and I don't really like it... ^^; Then I just leave their names be...

Shruikan

Demented Artist.
    Years
    Yeah, I name all of the pokemon I catch. The nicknames I give them are usually retarded though.. A Psyduck I caught on Pokemon Red was called Wallyduck *hides in shame* I was a pretty odd kid when I was younger.. Some of the newer ones have slightly more original names though, mostly from books, movies, or music.

Kozah

Kozah. Nuff Said.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2007
    i always nickname my starter pokemon but not any other ones =3

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    I nickname any Pokemon I use in battle frontier, or in my in game team. Usually I name my starter after myself, and then I just nickname my other Pokemon based on a common theme. However, this time around Emerald my starter was female (I wanted to breed...), so I began my theme nicknaming slightly earlier. Originally, my plan was to name all of them after Japanese flowers, starting with Sakura (Cherry Blossoms), my Grovyle. Unfortunately, I forgot all of the other flower names I was going to use. 0_o

Of course, I guess I could always just change my mind and name the rest of my Pokemon after Anime/Naruto characters, but that would be like weasling out, and it's probably an overused nickname idea anyway...

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Sometimes!

Pichu - Lily. :D~
    Vaporeon - Orange/Artemis/Myst
    Jigglypuff - Pura-Pura
    Articuno - Frostweaver xD
    Charizard - Ryuu
    Pikachu - Dusk, Iris, and something else I forgot..
    Dugtrio - DeeDee
    Espeon - if it's male, which always happens to be my case, Apollo
    Cyndaquil - was Krafty. Once. :x

..and more.

Last edited:

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
    Wow, Im now starting to realize why lots of people name their pokemon. I used to think it was immature, but now I realize that its not. Its a way of showing affection for your pokemon, and making it different from all the rest. Showing that you care, and think about that specific pokemon.......................Now I wish I could change my vote.........
    From now on, I willl name my pokemon.

Ahegil

The Breeder Chick
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2016
    im guess no body knows this but giving you pokemon nicknames gives it in-game bonus's im not sure what they are but ill look um up again

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Nope, not me.
    I kinda find it stupid in my opinion because I think its just wierd. Like if some trainer went into battle with a Tangela, thew the ball and announced at the top of thier lungs " Bunch O Hair, I choose you?! If that were me, I would feel so dumb I would have my pokemon attack me just for being that stupid. In fact, if I ever named my Tangela that, I would never let it see the sight of battle again.

LOL who'd use that nickname?! You gotta admit, its relative. But Im sorry, thats the funniest thing Ive heard today!

Years
    I usually tend to just let them be and keep their own names unless I feel strongly about giving them my own, which is hardly ever. The only ones I really name are ones that I don't like and get tired of seeing.

Years
    I've never nicknamed them before, but after reading this thread I've become inspired to. XD

DaVinci

Le Da Vinci Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2007
    I nickname only one pokemon. Smeargle. And he is nicknamed. Da Vinci

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    In the first Pokemon game I ever had (Yellow), I only nicknamed a small handful of my Pokemon. But after that, I nicknamed every Pokemon I had in every game I had. Sometimes I would name them after characters I created, quite a few in G/S/C are named after Digimon, and quite a few in Sapphire and Leaf Green have names in a language some people say I made up...

For example:

-In Gold and Crystal, I have three Jumpluff nicknamed Leafmon, Palmon, and Vegiemon.
    -In Crystal, my Alakazam is nicknamed Mewtwo.
    -In Silver, my Meganium is nicknamed Loatifir, after a Pokemon I created.
    -In my old Sapphire game, my Kadabra was nicknamed Espa Roba, a minor charcter in Yu-Gi-Oh.
    -In my current Sapphire, I have a Wobbuffet named Jessie and a Chimecho named James. (So I guess I have to one day rename my Beautifly/Skitty May and my Pikachu Ash.)
    -In Sapphire, my Cacnea is nicknamed Ouch. In Gold, my Pinsir is nicknamed OUCH!!
    -In Sapphire, my Banette is nicknamed Deatheater. In Gold, my Noctowl is nicknamed Voldemort.
    -In Leaf Green, my Raichu is nicknamed Kazuminari, which in Japanese means "thunder mouse".
    -In Sapphire, my Relicanth is nicknamed Baaransu. Relicanth's actual Japanese name is Jiiransu, but the "Jii" refers to an old man. Since my Relicanth is female, I changed the Jii to Baa, which refers to an old woman instead.
    -In Yellow, I have a Lapras named Flipper. In Crystal I have a Lapras named Flipper Jr.
    -All the Koffings and Weezings I ever had were nicknamed Cigarette, Marijuana, and Weedy.
    -In middle school I hated a girl named Yesenia, so I named my Muk after her.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    In gold and silver i used to nickname pokemon a fair bit not so much in the advanced generation maybe I'll start when I finally get E/FRLG

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2006
    >.> I always want to nickname my Pokemon but I get stuck between using lowercase when needed or going to uppercase for everything.

Uppercase looks better compared to all names in-game, but lowercase is correct.

GAH what a dilemma.

mew2_v1

The Unknown
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 14, 2010
    When it comes to Blue Version i first nickname my spearow as "Butt" kinda funny i dont like the sprite of spearow in that Blue Version

Right now, usually i nickname my pokemon such as Mewtwo as my Username, Mightyena as in "Mighty" and Manectric as in "Magneto"

Back