• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you prefer Gen V games, or Gen IV games?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    Black and White were not in my opinion, big on post-game gameplay. The Gen IV games had the battle frontier and also an another region in HGSS. That probably led me to my disappointment of B/W in general.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Thus far I would have to go the 4th gen games, simply because they had more to do in them beyond exploring different areas after beating the story.

DP had contests, berry growing, a battle tower, the game corner, the safari zone and chaining for instance, with Platnium adding the rest of the Battle Frontier to the mix. HGSS meanwhile had a BF too, as well as the Pokeathlon, a game corner despite anti-gambling laws/game ratings, a different safari zone, a second region and on top of that the Pokewalker. Both also had some sort of rebattling item (VS Seeker and the phone system), including a way to rebattle gym leaders (although admittedly not DP).

BW? Had some extra areas, and the battle subway, and... I suppose the Dream World, but that's a website activity limited to one hour a day. =/ Musicals were very uneventful too and crtainly offered less to do compared to a game corner or contests/pokeathlon. And the only people you could rebattle was the E4 and in the sports centre, far less than what the other games offered with that too.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2012
    Generation IV games were better than Gen 5.. Maybe because of the better storyline and pokemon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Gen IV is the clear winner for me, even considering the flaws and issues with HG/SS. For me, Platinum was the peak of the franchise, and it was all downhill from there. HG/SS had its share of problems, but those pale in comaprison to B/W (and what I've heard so far about B2/W2 has not been encouraging outside of the girl trainer's design.)

Gen V introduced too much that I didn't care for and took away stuff that I liked (Vs. Seeker, Gym Leader rematches). Too much of the wireless/wi-fi stuff in Gen V felt needlessly tacked on, and I never felt the connection to the region, its Pokemon, or its characters that I did with previous Pokemon games. I just never felt like Gen V lived up to its predecessors. I could go into a long rant about this, but I'll stop by saying that Platinum is still my main Pokemon game while I ended up selling my White version back to GameStop.

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    I'll put my 2 cents into this conversation.

I LOVED Gen. 3. I had over 500 hours of play time in it. And as soon as I heard that D/P Was going out, I freaked out. I obsessed about getting the game for a long long time. In fact, I bought a DS just for Diamond.

To be honest, I think GEN IV Is better. Yes, it may not be as action packed and fast, but it had the best Graphics and gameplay during it's releases out of all the pokemon games. I had about 700 hours of gameplay in my Pokemon Diamonds. It just never got boring, because everytime I'd start getting bored, I'd transfer some pokemon over from FireRed or Emerald and train them to make a new pokemon team. Plus, Shiny hunting often took up most of my time.

Now, I do LOVE Generation 5. You have to admit, it has some kick-butt graphics. Walking over the first bridge for the first time BLEW. MY. MIND. I was like "HOLY MOTHER OF POKEMON, THIS IS AMAZING. I do admit, Gen. 5 has a pretty good map, and after you
    "beat the game" You still have a lot to do.

Is it better than Gen. 4? I don't think so.

I believe Gen. 4 had better pokemon. Especially starters. I mean seriously? ANOTHER FIRE/FIGHTING? At least Infernape looked pretty cool. But besides that, Gen. 5 didn't have many pokemon I really liked. I loved Victini, Zorua/Zoroark, and Reshiram/Zekrom. But not many other's appealed to me. In fact, my pokemon team right now doesn't have any Gen. 5 pokemon besides my Serperior.

In conclusion, I think Gen. 4 will always be better to me, at least. I have way more memories, and much more fun playing it, than playing pokemon Black/white. (And i've logged a good 170 hours into black and white so far.)

It's just, I made my bestfriend with Gen 4. I had Diamond, he had Pearl. I had Soul Silver, he had HeartGold. It made Gen. 4 MUCH more fun, to have someone to play it with and experience it with. In my heart, Gen. 4 will always be the best. <3

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • I prefer Black and White to Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum just barely, but I prefer HeartGold and SoulSilver to any main series games, mostly because of their gargantuan content.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    I vastly prefer the graphics in Gen IV to Gen V (especially those unnecessary camera angle changes that are just annoying, although impressive), so for that reason alone, I prefer Gen IV.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I've never gotten into Gen IV, so I can't really judge it. I've played Diamond when it was released and I hardly remember it. I've started SoulSilver, and I like it, but it's kinda hassle playing it after White and Black 2. I like Gen V so far. Haven't explored all post game stuff since I wanted to make a new team and EV train it (never got the IVs right so I stopped playing). Since DPPt wasn't that interesting to me, and HGSS are remakes of Gen II games (great games), I prefer Gen V over it.

Back