• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you think cheating is a good way to get most fun out of the game?

Do you think cheating is write?

• yes

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • i want nothing to do with it

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Cheating to me is bad. But Id be a hypocrite if I finished my post there desu~

Ive cheated for one shiny Latias, but I never use her for competitive play or even casual games. For one thing, she started at level 5, so that meant that once she got to level 100, well... her stats would be way beyond even a correctly EV trained, legit one caught at good ol' level 40 (which I also have, and use)
    I have also had some of my friend's cloned PP Maxes traded to me, but I suppose, since I willingly and knowingly accepted his trade, that means I cheated too right?

But to answer the first question: NO, (exessive) cheating ruins the game and removes the competitive, lucky, and skill elements to the game =O

True fun comes from knowing that you whipped your friend's butt really badly with your own, legit team that you raised from the beginning! ^_^

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2007
    It's really unfair to say that everyone is like that don't you think?

There are some of us who play the game fairly and properly, just because you've had bad experiences doesn't mean you should tarnish us all.

I should have chosen my words correctly. "an super-majority of the people" would have been more fitting. I had no intention of tarnashing everyone's name...

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
    I don't think cheating is right at all. Think about it.

You could get one person asking to trade a shiny Skorupi for a shiny Drifloon and someone else catches the Drifloon on AR, which is not legit and took 2 minutes, and trades it for the Skorupi, which is legit and is worth much more, it's just not fair, especially if the person who caught the Drifloon lies and says it is legit.

Also think about this one.

You could get someone wanting a Mew and wants it so much they offer their best shiny for it. If the owner of the Mew then clones it, the owner of the Mew will get both a Mew and the shiny, whereas the owner of the shiny will have got the Mew but lost their shiny. This isn't the point of trading!

It's just my opinion.

Jolt

Legit Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2009
    I think cheating is horrible and it clearly destroys a lot of the point of the game for the rest of us. I came on this website in hope that id find people to make trades with in a reasonable manner, and it turns out everyone here clones their pokemon before trading them. Is this cheating? obviously. Just because it is in the game and you dont need a second device to do it doesnt mean it isnt cheating. cloning items and characters is just as bad as AR hacking. I have no purpose in trading with people here because whatever it is that im offering to them, they have an infinate supply of, and I dont.

Its too bad, because half the reason i was excited about this game was the online play. Online battle mode seemed like fun, as did the GTS. Too bad the GTS is clogged with a bunch of clone hackers and the battle center is full of AR hackers. I still enjoy this game, but it becomes clearer and clearer to me that the 30 bucks i spent on a nintendo wifi connection was flushed down the toilet because people are too immature to actually be willing to lose anything they have in order to gain something.

What is the point of trading with people if neither person loses anything? Theoretically you just catch 600 bidoofs (with your 600 cloned master balls), trade them all to your friend who has all the event pokemon, and, there you go. Want to EV train your shiny mew but you still want one to keep untouched? why not just clone him? god forbid someone makes a decision.

You don't know how much I agree with you here. I had thought Wifi would be a blessing - it turned into a nightmare. WiFi trades are just a way for people to massively trade their clone/hacked Pokemon. I find no satisfaction in cheating in any way or form (except the whole Save-SoftReset thing occasionally.. yes, I consider that cheating. Shame on me. *slaps self*) My sig should pretty well describe the kind of trainer I am.

Years
    I have to say that I agree. I did a wifi battle and ended up against a shiny Lugia with Sacred Fire. And after I ko'd that, there was a Spiritomb with Wonder Guard...

Not to mention that probably most trades on the GTS are either...

1. Cloning attempts. (Offer: anything. WANTED: Mew, lvl 9 and under) 50%

2. Unreasonably stupid. (Offer: Bidoof lvl 3. WANTED: Palkia lvl 100) 30%

3. Stupidly stupid. (Offer: Scyther lvl 55. WANTED Scyther lvl 70+) 10%

4. Good trades. (Offer: Munchlax lvl 5. WANTED Riolu lvl 9 and under) 10%

As for the second one, the guy had to have SEEN Palkia to even ask for that. And I've definitely seen trades like that. What a noob.

Last edited:

Znale

Disturbed Morphing Jar
    Years
    I personally don't cheat if cloning doesn't count. I understand people who claim that cloning is cheating but I don't. Unlike AR or some other cheating device you take advantage of the actual coding and do not modify it in any way. The only bad thing about cloning is that if the Pokemon is a shiny or extremely rare in any other way, they lose their total value, making them nothing to be proud of. But using cheating devices is 100% cheating in my opinion.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    The only time I cheat is if I'm really despite and so far I haven't so far so I'm not using it. But its stupid for people to cheat for like rare Candies or Master Balls or even Shiny Pokemon. Those are stupid.

I have to say that I agree. I did a wifi battle and ended up against a shiny Lugia with Sacred Fire. And after I ko'd that, there was a Spiritomb with Wonder Guard...

Not to mention that probably most trades on the GTS are either...

ultimate Spirtomb I love that :D it won't really have super effective hits since its not weak against anyone
    but thats so weird though

:t354:TG

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    ultimate Spirtomb I love that :D it won't really have super effective hits since its not weak against anyone
    but thats so weird though
    :t354:TG

Kangaskan and Miltank with the ability Scrappy can hit it... Foresighter could probably do the job too. And I'm sure Spiritomb can't survive too long on bad status conditions, weather, etc. So no hack is invincible unless it has 999 stats. Every pokemon, ability, and move have a flaw. My brother just loved his ol' Tri Attacking Jirachi until I burned it. And I swear I came up with the Sacred fire Lugia first. Who copied meh? D8 Though, I only use stuff like that in Colosseum and/or Sapphire since I don't ever take the risk if something ever happens to my good save files such as Emerald. And I couldn't ever allow myself to battle/trade with any sort of hack on wifi with another person, a mere stranger... So the majority of my reason is just being bored with the game. And still being too lazy to hatch or earn money since I don't have the time to catch a dozen Ditto or beat E4 twenty times. Bah, it's a game. And btw, anyone whining about cloning and getting ripped off should stop. Sorry, but it's not the end of the world if someone scams you in pokemon.. I know some are pretty passionate with the amazing series but it's just silly to get worked up... Just be glad it wasn't some car salesman giving you a busted car or whatever. Nah, be happy with your naughty strips of data and learn your lesson and take your business elsewhere (even spread the word to staff and other traders too). Just my thought on this.. Still can't answer poll since cheating can't be "write" mkay..

Dymin

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2007
    I recall reading that cheats were only put in a game to test it or something, and the developers just leave it there. I don't think cheating makes the game at all fun but if you find it fun go right ahead.

Xoo

bam, baby!
    Years
    I don't really mind it. Even the best of the best use it sometimes. I'm talking about everyone in general, not just certain groups.

NytewolfAU2k7

Game Modder & Creator
    Years
    I believe that cheating is wrong, however I will if there are no events for certain Pokemon in my country. An example is Celebi, Mew and Deoxys, all unobtainable. I had to cheat to get mew and deoxys. Though I asked a mate of mine who lives in Japan to give me some Celebi goodness (I used to have a box full of them (legit), now I have 3 remaining...)

Back