• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokémon is childish?

Do you think of Pokémon as a kid's series?

• Total voters

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
Years
  • Well, there are a few different dimentions when you ask this question. First we will start the games

I don't believe the First 2 Generations of games to be all that childish (red-crystal). Sure they might be clean games and they can be corny at times, but then agian so is Mario, but no one thinks of Mario as a kid's game

Now the Advance Generation games are harder to argue for the sake of not being childish
    The level of difficulty in Ruby and Sapphire was fairly easy in comparison to Silver/Gold and much easier compared to Red/Blue/Yellow. Also to note that they had a much more "friendly" opposing team. By friendly I mean that their intentions weren't nearly as cruel as Team Rockets intentions were. I still havn't played the 4th Generation games yet, but I don't think I will, because alot of my friends (who also play) say the game is a totally flop, one of the reason is because most of the new pokemon seem "too childish" (that was one of there exact words too)

When it comes to the Japanese Anime, and the U.S. Japanese Manga, It would be very hard to convince someone that the series was intended for children. The series was intended for pre-teen/teenagers, but the U.S.(4 Kids Enteratainment/Viz Media) toned it down to the point were yes...it was very childish, and it's only getting worse as the series progresses down the line.

Dark Rhyperior

Rhyperior used Earthquake
    Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2009
    Well, the television show is slightly childish, but the games aren't. Most people think Pokemon is childish, but they never heard of the competitive battling before.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • Childish my ace

You capture wild animals against their own free will.. You make them fight eachother; you can gamble, you can trade them, etc. Sounds alot like animal fighting to me, which is generally aimed at an older audience. So naw!, it cant be childish!

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    Only the anime is childish, really. If you can't convince them otherwise with the games, then show them the manga.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2009
    lets have a look at the pokemon world.
    first there's the thing that somehow pokemon training is a 'profession'. and that 80% of the world's population goes out and train pokemon, and only the sane 20% stay behind to get real work, run the cities, make business, open up restaurants etc, which explains why cities in the pokemon world are so small with so few buildings. and somehow these 20% of the population are able to work enough to not only take care of themselves but also have enough to sustain the 80% freeloaders taht just train, battle, sleep, and goof off, and crawl into a pokemoncenter when they are hungry. also that you can freeload in any town you arrive in. then there is that thing where all the villainous groups (team rocket, etc) they never are smart people, if 5% of their brain was functional, they would know that rather than battling pokemon and giving up when they lose, they can quite easily pull out a knife/pistol, shoot, and end the 'meddling' of the kids once and for all. and tehn you have the game corners, places to throw away money gambling..... without any consequences for gambling it all. have a look at teh pokemon descriptions,

Arceus: It is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed. It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
    Dialga: A Pokémon spoken of in legend. It is said that time began moving when DIALGA was born.

lets be honest here. these stories are badly thought out and contrived. just how would anyone know ANYTHING ABOUT THESE POKEMON AND THEIR ABILITIES if they were true? when the universe was created, or when time started moving, no one would know, because no human would exist at that time and place to see and tell the story.
    the stories look just as credible as a toddler's imagination of Darth Maul would become if he became friends with the Barney the purple dinosaur. they just have nothing to base the stories on if they were true. THEY ARE STORIES ONLY KIDS CAN BELIEVE.
    another question is how pokemon just never attack humans even though humans have pokeballs, bait, pokeblocks, and rocks in their arsenal.
    if pokemon were a little more real (adultish), all the female trainers traveling by themselves would be disappearing and getting kidnapped, those in groups unharmed, and those kidnapped girls would end up in brothels. the fact that young boys and girls can start their journey at a young age, training and freeloading, just adds up to this a kiddy game.
    if you guys wanna play pokemon i say just stop worrying if its a kiddy game or not and just enjoy it. it is a kiddy game, not as kiddy as the anime but still no way for you to say its mature. alrighty then, lets get FREELOADING!

NDS525

-NO SIGNAL-
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    Animals beating on each other for satisfaction from there master. No, it is not childish. The anime is childish but the game isn't...

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • It depends on which "Pokemon" you're talking about...

I think the anime is definitely childish. Always has been, always will be. From what I've read of the manga I don't think it's that childish (though Magical Pokemon Journey is, in my opinion). And as for the games no, I don't think it's childish. :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    To be honest,at times I do think it's childish.

Like in the anime for example,not everyone is nice and helps you.
    Well other than the rivals/villains...But that's not the point.I loved Pokemon as like I would for a childhood friend.The manga and games on he otherhand keep me hooked.Specially shippings^^

Back