• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think Unova is too small? [ #28 ]

Do you think Unova is too small?

• Yes

Votes: 65 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 11 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • I wouldn't say it was too small, more that there isn't enough to do and it's horribly linear. The fact that the map (with the exception of the route to the E4) is circular and half of it can't actually be visited until after the E4 doesn't work in its favour either. It just feels so much more empty compared to the other games to me.

Years
  • I do think it is small.
    I finished it in a couple of days and after that, there are only a handful of things that you can do.
    For me, I think they spent too much time on the game as a spectacle than the size or the Pokemon, because some of them just look shocking.

I would have liked the region to be a bit bigger, or have access to another region.​

beanzy100000

Collector
    Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2011
    i think the size is fine, the problem is the lack of things to do after game completion.

also, there's really not a lot of story line or anything like that, if you look at my trainer card you see that i got about 3 badges in each of the first two days of game play then the final two the next day.

another thing is route 17 and 18. they're pretty pointless, there isn't any storyline on it and it doesn't need to be passed through to reach there. If i hadn't been looking for certain pokemon i wouldn't even have known it was there.

Last edited:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • I reckon Unova is a perfect size, bigger than Kanto and Johto thats for sure (excluding Sevii Islands) . I would have preferred more water areas and missed surfing to towns though. But yeah it had enough grass land, cities and caves and I thought it was a good size.

FINALLY!!
    SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS ME!
    YOU CAN'T SAY THAT CASTELIA ISN'T BIG, CAUSE SHE IS LIKE 1/2 OF REGION...
    BUT THEREIS A PROBLEM: THIS IS JUST THE RIGHT SIZE!!!
    AND EVERYBODY CAN SAY THAT THE AUTHORS OF POKEMON ARE PRETTY HIGH FROM GRASS SO.....THEY DID SOMETHING GOOD THIS TIME AND I RESPECT THEM FOR THAT!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Unova? Well, I feel completely at home. Not too small like Johto, and not too large like Hoenn. The size just feels right. Dare I say, perfect? The only problem that I have with it is the fact that there are not enough things to do with the whole game, rendering its perfect size advantage moot.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • I've actually never thought about this, but now I realized, yeah, it is small.
    There should be more towns with no Gyms and more sideway routes.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Its comparative lack of water certainly changes the dimensions of the region, but to me it feels, if anything, larger because of all the extra land mass. I'd certainly have liked to see more water, and I'd have liked to explored more of it before challenging the Elite Four, but I don't think Unova is too small.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • Unova's size seems average compared to previous regions. I don't mind that considering how much better the pacing is than in previous Pokemon games. Making it larger or smaller would have just messed with that.

I have a feeling that one of the main reasons this topic is coming up is because B/W are out right after HG/SS, which were by far the longest Pokemon games in the series' history. Any Pokemon game seems short by comparison right after playing those.

Years
  • Unova's size is okay but I wish there were more cities pre-elite 4. Also I wish there would have been more cities without gyms. They act as a diversion from the main story which can be interesting. It just seems like in this game its just gym after gym after gym. Adding a break in between gyms would greatly improve the game.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I felt that Unova was smaller than the other regions but it had more events to it, I wish it was larger since it was very entertaining to play in my opinion...

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    I think its way to small. It should first have much more water routes that are conneceted to island such as victory garden. Next i wish you could branch out of the region a little. Not like being able to vist a previous region, but have something similar to the sevil Islands.

Unova need the sevil Island!!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I thought it was small at first glance, but the Routes seem to be much larger to me. What I like about it is how you're taken through the various biomes one-by-one, which allows you to fully experience the varying Pokémon styles throughout the game. However, this also has the limitation of really cutting down your options for exploration, unlike some earlier games.

But I digress. The long and the short of it is no, I don't think it's too small, just more structured than previously. The perception of that as a good or bad thing lies with the player, of course.

Last edited:

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Yeah, it's a bit small, but in a way its just right. The map may be small, but with all the caves and mountains and chazms and ruins and the few water routes, its bigger than it looks. Couldh've used more non-Gym towns, like Luxuria Town from the anime.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • It was way too small to say the least. It should have gotten longer routes, more cities/areas, and just more areas to explore.

Although suffice to say I think it is more due to the limited replay value involved in it (No Vs. Seeker, for example) and that the scenery and areas get boring and old fast, as well as being fairly forgettable. I still find it enjoyable to play, though those are flaws I've noticed.

Years
  • Unova is indeed too small, but i think its more of the lack of things to do. Musicals are garbage, Battle subways are awkword, and it just seems to lack something.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...yeah I thought it was small which is why I told you to make this lol. Buuuuut yeah, I think there's a lot that can be expanded upon possibly in a third game, but with the region how it looks now, I just want to explore more, and the game limits me. ;__;

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Unova needs to be much more spread out as many of the routes are very small and some take about 15 seconds to cycle through. Another issue is the lack of 'filler' towns/cites.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I don't really know what to answer.. maybe its big in a way but i always felt that it's too small. I can't get enough of the storyline. Maybe i'll feel satisfied if there are some stories involving the other half of Unova. That way it'll feel bigger, i think.

Back