• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you use the same team all the way through?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    once you get your team together, do you use the same pokemon all the way until you've gotten your 8 badges?
    do you ever get the urge to switch them up midway but then realize that all the other pokemon in your boxes are way too low level & it'd be a pain in the butt to try to level them up so you just stick with your same current team?

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Usually I stick with mostly the same team, but I switch a few pokemon in and a few out constantly..and I sort of regretted it in SoulSilver cause it resulted in my having pokemon that were like in the 50s and low 60s lv. after all 16 gym badges. I should have focused on just one team but I ended up swapping out like 4-5 diff. pokemon. Now though I have my dream team set and all I have to do is train some more.

The thign I hate the most about switching out is that sometimes it's hard to find good areas to train in.

Ayselipera

I keep my Pokemon the same from the beginning to the Pokemon League. After defeating the champion then I'll change them up. The only time where I've changed Pokemon mid way was after realizing one of my Pokemon was not performing like the others or if I just became extremely bored of it. This usually happens when playing a new game since I'm not knowledgeable of the new Pokemon. The last time I remember doing this was with a Carnivine in Diamond.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • I do that sometimes. In my SS I'm doing that right now.
    In my Platinum I don't have an offical team just like 50 Pokemon all around the same level I switch around when needed.

Jarate

The Jar Based Karate
    Years
  • I usually just stick with 3 or even 2 and focus on only them. I don't even really catch stuff until after the E-4.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    i usually try to make a well balanced team, but sumtimes i just feel lik bein random

but usually my team pretty much stays the same

Kindred Sworn

トレーナーゼロ
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    I usually just train my first starter Pokemon so that it's so good it can destroy anything and then have a couple weak Pokemon to take a hit or two just in case so I can revive it if it dies.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Of course. that's my one of my rule. In every game, I must have at least one pokemon that evolve from trading

Mumfie

Norwegian penguin!
    Years
  • No, I don't. I never finish the game with my starter. I actually dump it when I get to the daycare-people in the game. I usually breed a good pokemon with a good nature and finish the game up with two of those.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I usually catch 4 or 5 core team members who are not expendable, then switch around the last few slots with temporary team members.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I always decide what my full team is going to be before I start the game, so once I get the set of six there's no changing it up. I'm always happy with my selections anyway (even if some are harder to use than others).

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
  • I always decide what my full team is going to be before I start the game, so once I get the set of six there's no changing it up. I'm always happy with my selections anyway (even if some are harder to use than others).

I do this too, I always decide which ones I want to catch before I start the game and I don't think I've ever changed my mind like half way through the game or anything. But once I've completed the Pokemon league and the after story I'll sometimes switch in new Pokemon from other games to train up (because of the extra exp. you get with traded Pokemon)

GlalieX

Ruler of Illusion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2012
    I'd usually only catch two others after I got the starter, then add three more in Victory Road.

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    I usually just train my first starter Pokemon so that it's so good it can destroy anything and then have a couple weak Pokemon to take a hit or two just in case so I can revive it if it dies.

that's what i do on my first run through a new game, as the starters are always going to work out in the end. after a couple of runs i start to get a feel for powerful combos and make my team from hence.
    I will not just take someone in mid-game. i plan my team ahead with my encyclopedic pokemon brain and go through the game. :p

Back