• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone actually program their games?

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    I see all this mention of games created using RPG Maker or Game Maker, but not so many games created with a real programming language like C++ or Java.

I don't see any rule against games like these, so I'm wondering why they have so little representation in this forum.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I see all this mention of games created using RPG Maker or Game Maker, but not so many games created with a real programming language like C++ or Java.

I don't see any rule against games like these, so I'm wondering why they have so little representation in this forum.

They have little representation on this particular forum because most people developing games here have no intention of becoming a game programmer, or the like, as their career. This is a hobby for most members that they do in their spare time, and learning a programming language just to have a little fun making a game isn't really worth it in the long run.

I do in fact know how to program, I haven't used this knowledge to make a game - as of yet - because I have very little free time. Though I am hoping to have the free time to develop something during the holiday break.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 5, 2021
    I know a robotics programming language, similar to C, which got me interested into software programming and I started learning C++. My knowledge of C++ is limited but I'm fine with programming logic. I made a text game once though :D I'm sure with plenty of time I could learn to apply that to a game or whatever, but really RMXP is easier and faster for what I need to do. Even making games with rpg maker, game maker, sphere and the like, already take a good deal of time. Most of us are high school or college students, so we don't have the time if we wanted to.

Post college, if I have the time, I'd like to see if I can make something cool, even if it's not a game.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    So it's just because it's too hard (given people's time constraints) to actually program something and have it turn out well?

Understood. Now I know where my project is headed. I'm creating an engine in C++ because it would take too long for me to learn how to use RMXP/Game Maker and create the game there. :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2010
    Me, in Java ^^

Most people dont have knowledge to do it or are too lazy to learn something new..

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • So it's just because it's too hard (given people's time constraints) to actually program something and have it turn out well?

Understood. Now I know where my project is headed. I'm creating an engine in C++ because it would take too long for me to learn how to use RMXP/Game Maker and create the game there. :P

Yes it is, plus most people here just want to create a pokemon fan-game, and they don't think it's worth their time to create an engine while there's already one available. The battle system would remain the same, so why bother?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I have limited knowledge of it, but many people here are interested in things otherwise- besides, ROM hacks are easier and in general turn out better.

We aren't comparing it with ROM Hacking - that's in an entirely separate section of the forum anyway. We were comparing it with making game using pre-made engines, such as RMXP and Pokemon Essentials.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Yes it is, plus most people here just want to create a pokemon fan-game, and they don't think it's worth their time to create an engine while there's already one available. The battle system would remain the same, so why bother?

News to me. I thought RPG Maker and the like were for all RPG's in general. I don't think they have a built-in system for Pokémon.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • Like Yuoaman said, most people just use RPG Maker XP and Pokémon Essentials since it's just a hobby for them. From what I've seen, some members actually do know how to code, but just prefer to use RMXP with Essentials since it's easier.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    The Pokemon Essentials starter kit however, does have most of the built-in systems necessary for a Pokemon game.
    Ah, so that's what it is.

Alright then.

But I'm still using C++ because I want to customize everything XD

I do in fact know how to program, I haven't used this knowledge to make a game - as of yet - because I have very little free time. Though I am hoping to have the free time to develop something during the holiday break.

Well, I don't think the holiday break will be enough to make a complete game...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2011
    YEAH,
    this rules!!

some one talk about udk, and know u about a complete new engine!!!

yeah, i am with u

what are your skill? we can use a uml create the structure of the game and after write all.

i use gcc, try to be compliant!

Then, if u want a man (computer Science engineer student) u find it!

pm me

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 5, 2021
    Most people dont have knowledge to do it or are too lazy to learn something new..
    I don't think it's fair to say people are too lazy to learn something new. Minus the one days noobs who believe they can make a Pokemon game over night. Making a game with PE, game maker etc etc, is still learning something new. Time is definitely the deciding factor.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    I do:

Woah, I haven't written a single line of code since Summer... I have been caught up with Football and school, now football season is over for me, this weekend I'll program a simple cannon simulator for AP Physics. I want to try SFML instead of SDL this time, obviously rendering with OpenGL

I know C++, I better get back into "programming shape" I have a big project ahead of me for Robotics. I'm a little rusty right now. But I'll get back into shape in no time

Last edited:

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    YEAH,
    this rules!!

some one talk about udk, and know u about a complete new engine!!!

yeah, i am with u

what are your skill? we can use a uml create the structure of the game and after write all.

i use gcc, try to be compliant!

Then, if u want a man (computer Science engineer student) u find it!

pm me

You certainly don't talk like one lol.

It really varies on the persons skills to what they do and the wants they have in the game they are making. If someone wants to make their game more independent and out there they would probably learn to code in RGSS if they are using Rpg Maker XP.

mad.array

Eeveelutions... need more...
    Years
  • As with the other people that have posted a response here, I think that the main reason for a lack of representation for independent engines is down to the fact that RMXP, alongside Essentials, has a lot of the code already implemented. Should any developers want extra features, these can be made by modifying/creating scripts. The hobby element/time constraints means that people are reluctant to start from scratch, especially due to the intricate complexities of the pokémon games (which so many non-PKMers don't seem to get).

All in all, RGSS is a fairly friendly language to learn and, when structured properly, can be picked up quite easily.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Well, I don't think there are too many complexities programming-wise.

But just to be clear, games actually programmed from scratch instead of using an engine are allowed here, right? Because these forums seem to assume that any fanmade game must be created using a pre-existing engine, just because that is the case almost all the time.

Back