• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone actually program their games?

bigplrbear

C# programmer for the IAPL
Years
  • What I'd do is create a pointer to access a certain memory location that you want to check, then perform a catch of some sort, to see if any data was changed in memory by the end user. If it detects such data change, the game would work as normal- but saving would be disabled.

Code:
    //maybe something to the tune of...

byte catch_code(int **pointer_to_check, byte saving_disabled)
    {
    if (**pointer_to_check == &correct memory location or correct variable)
         {
         return saving_disabled = 0; //don't return an error
         }

elseif (**pointer_to_check == &incorrect memory location or incorrect variable)
    {
    return saving_disabled = 1; //return an error
    }

}

Personally though, I would actually welcome cheaters/people who like to find bugs in games. Part of the fun in playing pokemon games, especially in older ones, is finding glitches (such as Missingno.).

In fact, our programming team has actually considered loading battle data in such a way that could possibly allow the formation of a missingno. if certain conditions are met (no pokemon data in a certain area, for example) by essentially loading junk data (random sprites/random pokemon data) from memory instead of what it should load. Of course, bugs like that really effect stability, so it's pretty iffy, but still ;)

edit- wow, I'm really derpy tonight. I've edited that code like five times because I got 'correct' and 'incorrect' mixed up. I need some coffee >.>

Last edited:

Ryan Hekk

Game Developer
    Years
  • I created a game using C# and XNA, I'm going to be editing it for a release and then publishing it here on PokeCommunity. It's not Pokemon related though, it's called CATastrophe and it's an action-platformer similar to the original Frogger.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2011
    Why use C#, whats the point!!!! ...

Go java or actionscript3 (flash) or even HTML5 (I am thinking you saw the google pacman with html5 on their homepage), you would still need to use flash for the music and sound.

Invokez

Formerly Known as SytheXP
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    Have you ever tried programming java or c++ its very difficult.... I do a fair bit of coding in those languages but I am no where skilled enough to code anything close to pokemon. Not to mention a fan game can only be done for non-profit reasons. If someone was to put the time into programing in Java or C++ I am sure they would want to sell the game instead of giving it out for free. Most of us simply do it as side projects or hobbies as mentioned earlier in this thread. However I would love to see what one would turn out like coded in java as it is simply an amazing programing language.... Difficult though.... Many times have I just wanted to throw the computer out the window...

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    I know I don't know well enough to really be commenting but...
    If someone were to code a fan game in C#, C++, Java, they would benefit from understanding the game mechanics from a different perspective, the ability to readily recognize similar systems in other games, appropriately gauge development skill, and be able to create their own in depth variable based systems of the knowledge they learn. You could also translate the 2D game into a 3D game using something like Unreal Developers Kit or Multiverse. Regardless of it being a fan game and unable to sell, that doesn't mean as a Game Developer you wouldn't be reaching your goal. Seems to be they want passionate hard working goal oriented individuals, who tend to be people who spend their time modding and honing their craft. If you create a fan game that sticks to their basic principles, adding in some extra functionality, have an inviting GUI, and with what I'm referencing, A replica of a 2D game that's got improved features in a fitting 3D environment that's gaining popularity and a fan base of it's own, that's the person they'll want to hire. Not someone who's paid enough money and spent the time to get a degree.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    I see all this mention of games created using RPG Maker or Game Maker, but not so many games created with a real programming language like C++ or Java.

I don't see any rule against games like these, so I'm wondering why they have so little representation in this forum.

I program from scratch all the way!

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    I am currently making an Online pokemon game using java, its tough, I just need to get the engine running then it should be easy from there.
    I'm calling it project Opal, which stands for Online Pokemon Adventure Land =D

Check it out: pokemonopal.informe.com
    It's a brand new project and i need more people so come join!

Back