• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone else get made fun of for playing Pokemon?

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
  • I remember being made fun of for playing Pokemon. Eventually, I just said I quit, even though I didn't. I even told the other pokemon players that I quit, and that it was for kids. This stopped the teasing. However, I still play pokemon. And I only let my closest friends know.
    --
    When somebody else plays pokemon, I usually just stay silent...can't really say anything without it backfiring(ex. admitting that I like pokemon or hurting someone else's feelings)

Years
  • I don't tell most people I play it unless the topic of Pokemon comes up, where I have no worry or hesitation of admitting it. I've not once been made fun of for playing - in fact, a lot of people that I say it to admit to playing as well. :P

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Actually, not at all, well not really. Pokémon has became more popular at my high school. No ones afraid to admit it, few times we even tried to set up some card tournaments.

All fun and good. ^.^

RR☆Oresama

Why? Has someone died? (¬_¬;)
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 10, 2013
    HELL NO.

The people over at my school have seen me get pissed. Heck, they know that I actively pursue being a Pokémon fan for the rest of my life. Even those who plan to get back into the series ask for my 'effing help. And I've bred and traded for them as well, and one of them even asked me to get an event Pokémon for them as well. XD

Yeah, that's right. I'm the schools local Pokéxpert and they in fact praise me for it.
    Then again, I'm pretty childish as it is. Hey, at least I don't smoke/drink unlike other people at school.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    It seems that as you get older people realize everyone has hobbies and they stop caring what you do hah.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I got teased about it a lot back in grades 5-8. Middle school really blows.

Not so much now. In high school, it seems that half the class plays it, so no one really teases people about it anymore.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Currently in post-secondary school... I find it hard to find people that don't like Pokemon around here. So... No.
    It's kinda fun actually considering how much people tend to ask me about certain things in Pokemon. They seem to think I am a wizard or something.

Years
  • Nobody knows, as I don't hide it or show it. But, I know if I walked into class and said I play Pokemon, I wouldn't get too much hate, as a girl at my school (same age) always wears this Pikachu hat, and isn't really bullied.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • Im 25 now and still get the pokemon out on a daily basis, even if its just for a battle or two, I dont hide the fact that I play, but I dont broadcast it either. I have been playing since I was 10 and explain to anyone that questions me that I just never stopped playing. Most people couldnt care less.

A friend of mine's kid brother found out that I play pokemon (He's 11 or something) he was all excited so I brough my DS over and I hooked him up with some cool pokes, some of which he'd never even heard of, then the cheeky little S#!t says to me that I should grow up and stop playing kiddy games! The nerve of kids these days, honestly.

I then proceeded to tell him that I have a Blastoise that is older than him! The stunned look on his face was priceless, I think I broke his brain.
    I finished by saying come back and let me know when you're a real pokemon master.

Zeus

Last edited:
    Years
  • Im 25 now and still get the pokemon out on a daily basis, even if its just for a battle or two, I dont hide the fact that I play, but I dont broadcast it either. I have been playing since I was 10 and explain to anyone that questions me that I just never stopped playing. Most people couldnt care less.

A friend of mine's kid brother found out that I play pokemon (He's 11 or something) he was all excited so I brough my DS over and I hooked him up with some cool pokes, some of which he'd never even heard of, then the cheeky little S#!t says to me that I should grow up and stop playing kiddy games! The nerve of kids these days, honestly.

I then proceeded to tell him that I have a Blastoise that is older than him! The stunned look on his face was priceless, I think I broke his brain.
    I finished by saying come back and let me know when you're a real pokemon master.

Zeus

Zeus

Haha I would kill to watch that!

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
    Years
  • Nope. I'm in my 30s and I play Pokemon. Of course, everyone who knows me also knows that I collect Transformers and that I'm a geek at heart. So they don't tease me about it at all. (And it wouldn't work if anyone tried!)

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • Don't worry about it, dude. It happens to everybody, people are just ignorant. Go ahead and keep playing Pokémon all you like. Hell, I know people in there thirties that still play it!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Once I entered the 6th grade, people around here realized that Pokémon was cool and the ones who didn't secretly played it in there bedrooms. (When Black and White came out, nearly all of my Facebook friends were talking about it, I think...) I haven't gotten made fun of for playing Pokémon since 4th grade, and that was partially my fault because I threw it around all the time. Like when we were in the classroom at the end of the school day waiting for the bus to come and get called down to go on, I'd have Pokémon battles on the chalkboard with a friend. I don't even know how we regulated those, really? .____.

Back