• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone?

Do you like or dislike black borders on maps?

• Total voters

FinalEclipse

Learning to be a Tile Artist
Years
  • I would like to know if, personally, you dislike it if connected maps are different sizes, thereby creating black borders. I dislike them, so I keep my maps to one size, 30x28. But please, tell me what you think.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • If you can ever see black borders outside of buildings you are definitely doing something wrong... Your maps should have a 'buffer zone' of trees and such to block off access to the borders.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Diamond, Pearl and Platinum do this: all their maps are 32x32. Try moving 32 tiles in one direction; I guarantee that you'll move exactly one space on the Town Map.
    Technically, the maps are split into smaller 16x16 chunks to save the DS's memory, but it's the same concept.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Confusing question.... I use RM2k/3.the camera wont pan if theres no more map. so you never see black borders unless you manually place them in (EG: Interiors.)

EDIT: I just saw some maps with black borders in towns and caves. yeah... I dislike them now.

Last edited:

Dragma

Trainee
    Years
  • I never really put much thought into it; I just do whatever.

Maybe it's time for me to edit my black borders... :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2021
    Hmmm I always though about making some panoramas of trees so that borders aren't a problem but it only works if there isnt any trees near it otherwise it looks liek crap because its not in line.

Back