• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Does Crystal EVER die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
    Well, think. Gold and Silver came out somewhere around '00-'01 and the batteries last seven years. Crystal was realeased later, so it still has some juice left.

But I restarted crystal last night and set my clock. Turned it on this morning and 20 minutes had passed in the game when in real life 12 hours had gone by. That just tells me that my battery is running down. Oh well.

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
    Years
    Silver too. I bought it used with 300 hrs gameplay and it still works after I played a total of 607 hrs.
    silver fyi
    whip, i got 800 in first restart, 1200 second, and 600 thrid, recently restart again, but i have been playing pearl more i'm sorry...

Kaiyori

Godzrilla hungry?
    Years
    There's actually been reports on the 'net that, yes, it does eventually go bad. (Mine has yet to do so, personally, but then again, my copy of Silver lasted pretty much until last year, and even after it deleted its own save file, it still saves without a problem for one weird reason or another.) Crystal uses the same type of internal battery that Gold and Silver use, so it's logical that it might actually happen. It's just that it's difficult to say, as there's no specific set time for a battery to expire -- just an estimated time.

Yes i have read reports like this as well,

There is no way to tell, you'll just have to wait and find out, me personally has played for 700 hours and the game is fine.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Actually, my crystal hasn't died yet :D
    I had it since it came out and it still works perfectly.
    I think my Silver died on my friend when I gave it to him XD
    So yeah, does it die? XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2024
    It seems as if everyone who owns Pokemon Crystal, including myself, still have their saved data. Is there any reason for this?
    Better internal battery (I think I read that somewhere), plus silver and gold got a bit of a running start.

Years
    I think mine all still work. O_o

I checked them a couple months ago, and Silver & Crystal seemed to work fine. I haven't messed with gold for a while, though, so I don't know about it.

goatheart

kid@heart
    Years
    I've had two crystals (i'm sure the one was a fake!), a silver and a gold and the only one still remaining is the gold even though I got it back in 2002. Crystal always seemed the most fragile to me. My friends crystal also died before her silver did

Dave-o-rama

If you are a false don't entry
    Years
    My sister's crystal is kinda dead... but my silver is still going strong. btw, i think they were both used copies, so there :P

MightyMightyena

<== Shiny Mightyena Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2014
    I just checked my gold...no save game...but my red and blue boot and load the save with no prob
    and that backup thing I mentioned in an earlier post...still has the backups from years ago

just running gold makes me wanna play it again

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    I got silver when it came out, I clocked up 1360 hours, on my Old School Chunky gameboy (parents wouldn't buy me a color GB back then *grumble* I never played crystal though since it had an updated cartridge.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I don't have any pokemon games at the moment, I sold them ages ago. But because of the DS bringing out another in the series, it makes me want to get back into the handheld gaming again. Even though I'm going to have to find all of the GB and GBC games second hand now :p Which means I'll also have to buy an Advance console if I want to transfer between two games in a generation to get the older pokemon onto the newer games. Does that mean I'll have to trade at least 3 times in order to get a Bulbasaur onto Diamond? :o

Think on my Blue version it lost the saved game once, but never had any problem with it since then. My Silver worked fine as well, didn't die, even with me abusing it constantly with the duplicating pokemon trick and the tradings of missingno ;). The thought of buying the games second hand worries me a bit now, however if i dont pay that much for them I guess it wont be as much of a loss.

Speaking of which, while we are on the subject of Crystal, whats the difference pokemon availability wise between that and Gold/Silver? Like what pokemon can you get in Crystal compared to the others?

Years
    Hmm, everyone's crystal copy is working. Maybe i should just suck it up and buy crystal. I always wanted to play that version.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back