• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does everyone hate OT fics?

Matt11

Fanfic Beginner
Years
Ive read that many ppl do them and that they are mostly boring.
But is it OT = No one reads?

Do u not even give them a chance as soon as you see it's an OT story or do you actually read it as you would any?

Basically do ppl think that no one should write OT stories ever?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
It's not the OT fic that people dread, it's the immense amount of cliches that come with it. Check out Thesis' thread on cliches (which is in this section), and pretty much all of those appear in OTs written by beginners.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Erm...yeah, like Gummy said it's not the genre that's in disfavor; just the countless poorly written and equally poorly planned, cookie-cutter fics that clutter it. A well-written OT will be accepted just as happily as a well-written fic of any other genre, and I for one actually have a fondness for OTs, so no; not everyone hates OT fics at all. xD

Matt11

Fanfic Beginner
Years
Thats good, and I have read the thesis thread on cliches.
Anyway I really wanted to write an OT but when I saw that everyone seemed to hate them it really put me off, but now that I see that you just have to work on them Im gonna try my best ;)

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
Well, I tend to look at the words on that pop-up window which appear when you hover your mouse over the thread. That, and the title.

If the title says "(Character's name here)'s Pokemon/Region Adventure", then that line puts me off. It reeks of, well, not very good OT fics.

If the first sentences of the fic are "(Character's name here) opened his/her eyes to a bright, beautiful morning/(CNH) woke up, looked at the clock and yelled 'I'm LATE!'" Or one of those old, overused beginnings... I just stay away from the story like a plague.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Damn...is THAT why everyone stays away from my FC?
I've only gotten 4 people to reply on my thread. One's a friend, the other I PMed...
Seriously, just because people's minds are too small to think of a better name doesn't mean their fic sux... X_X

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
It's just that for those who have been in the fandom for far too long to keep a hold of their sanity (that would be me), the fics that are titled "CNH's Adventure/Journey/Quest/Mystic Adventure to find all the Clow Cards Pokémon" tend to not be well-done. There are some instances where this isn't true, but the majority tends to write the stereotype more than the minority break the mold. (I need sleep.)

(Of course, dark lakitu, I had no idea you had a fic. x.x I'm so behind on reviewing.)

OT fics are genuinely what starting Pokémon fanfic writers go for. It's the same in a lot of other fandoms that I can name off the top of my head: LOTR, Digimon, OSC (;_____; Why must there be fanbrats there?), Kingdom Hearts, DragonLance, and so on. The young fans of the series want to do nothing more but be a part of the actual canon, so they create a version of themselves to insert into the world. (Usually to fall in love with a character, which gets creepy when the canon character is six, and that story made me want to die, and... *hugs the boy*) And the fanauthor really doesn't care about the mechanics of the fic, and they title it the first thing that comes to mind, and they post it. And their little friends run by and write "zomg! u rite gud! moar pease!"

But it's just that OT fics are a dime-a-dozen, or at least about as common as Rattata. You can't wade through a fanfiction section on a Pokemon board without running into at least five on the first page alone. It's just that it takes a little scrounging to find a good OT fic, like finding a good IV-carrying Rattata. They're out there. It just takes a little work to find one.

Unless you have someone to rec you some.

As for myself, I don't mind OT fics. I'm writing one myself. (I like to selfishly think that it's good.) I just want to read fics that are actually readable. And that aren't just fics where the person was writing down what was happening in the game as they were playing, with less description and more grammar errors.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 3, 2023
So what is there besides OT?

Anything, really. Action, adventure, drama etc. Any Genre you can think of can be translated into a (good) fan fic. Like I just started writing about a secret agent in the Pokemon world. I find it interesting to write (and think) about, plus it gives me a whole bunch of fresh ideas. I don't have to stick with "Gym... Gym... Trainer... Gym...".

So, basically you can write about anything! (... And, some people really do write about... anything...)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
To add to BREAKINGBEN...

So what is there besides OT?

Well, Pokemon does have a massive cast of canon characters that are never or almost never written about. You can always create a story about one of them. There's Grace, the girl with the Medicham who competed against May and who currently engages in contests, if you want someone like a trainer but still fairly different. (Because, hey, OT stories don't involve the backstage drama of a beauty pageant.) There's Domino and every other Rocket agent, who all for some reason aren't taken advantage of, even though you've got a ton of potential there with stories about thief-heroes. Heck, there's even my favorite, Bill, who's a Pokemon researcher and therefore is begging for tons of nutty sci-fi adventures. (I mean, come on. Pokemon meets Jurassic Park? Pokemon meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Pokemon meets The Blob? Why have these never actually come to being?)

So, really, you don't even have to create an original character if you don't want to. Pokemon's one of those odd fandoms where people tend to be shy around using the huge cast of characters canon already gives you, unlike in every other fandom where most people cling like none other to the canon cast and maybe insert one or two original characters (who are often Mary Sues anyway). Pokemon canon doesn't even bother trying to give a number of the characters it creates solid characterizations, so you actually have plenty of freedom of choice and creativity -- more so than a lot of other fandoms out there. It's just that a lot of people don't even consider that there are untold stories in the Pokemon fandom and attempt to create a new puppet for a new OT story.

Otherwise, as BREAKINGBEN said, there's a lot of other genres that the Pokemon fandom can cover. Your original character might not even need to be a new trainer. Like characters, Pokemon canon offers a lot of flexibility with occupations as well. Not only are there coordinators, thieves, and researchers, but there's also breeders, watchers, gym leaders, collectors, hunters/poachers, nurses, and even occupations that don't actually work with Pokemon directly but instead maybe on the side, like construction workers directing a bunch of Fighting-type Pokemon. And even then, there's also the possibility of working with older trainers -- people who are already established as trainers and are simply going on an adventure other than your standard journey. At the risk of ego tripping, all of the characters in my pet fanfiction (in my sig) are original trainers, but they're all also established. Thus, the fic isn't about a journey where someone starts off from a town with a new Pokemon by their side. It's about how they use Pokemon to accomplish what it is they set out to do. So, yes, it's perfectly possible to write original characters in the Pokemon universe, but you just have to stretch your imagination with it and will yourself to find something else for a trainer to do besides start a journey with their starters by their sides.

Likewise, varied occupations come varied genres. A scientist, as I've said before, might open up a world of science fiction for you. Romance may come from coordinators (and often does, actually), breeders, what have you. Mystery for police officers like Officer Jenny.

Really, the world of Pokemon fanfiction is vast and full of variety. All you need to do is think outside the box by looking at just the basics that you have to work with. For a Pokemon fanfiction, you only need one thing after all: Pokemon. Figure out where to go from there by looking at what you can do with Pokemon. You can get some hints by looking at canon -- specifically, the people Ash or so-and-so meets along the way.

Last edited:

Dr. Mack Foxx

Veteran Trainer/Mad Scientist
Years
Hmmm... I'm not familiar with the fan-fic community jargon. May someone please enlighten me as to what exactly an "OT Fic" is? Original Trainer?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Hmmm... I'm not familiar with the fan-fic community jargon. May someone please enlighten me as to what exactly an "OT Fic" is? Original Trainer?

To be specific, yes, it's short for "original trainer," but it often refers to not only original trainers but also new trainers and the genre that surrounds them -- as in, fics about trainers who start off on their journeys through X region, following a gym circuit and raising a team -- as well as sequels to new trainer fics. In other words, the genre usually refers to journey fics, not just any fic with an original character who happens to be a trainer.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
oh, i thought it was any story that had a made up trainer in it...

Technically, you could call any story with a fan-created trainer an OT story. However, most people really just stop at journey fics because almost all (or at least a large number of) writers who write OTs put their OTs in those kinds of fics, whereas the people who write original trainers that aren't just going on the badge collection tour or the save-the-world tour or the mystic quest tour or whatever else that a journey fic entails generally don't label their fics as OTs to avoid being lumped with the majority of journey fics.

Dr. Mack Foxx

Years
To be specific, yes, it's short for "original trainer," but it often refers to not only original trainers but also new trainers and the genre that surrounds them -- as in, fics about trainers who start off on their journeys through X region, following a gym circuit and raising a team -- as well as sequels to new trainer fics. In other words, the genre usually refers to journey fics, not just any fic with an original character who happens to be a trainer.

Ah, ha! I see. Thank you very much for the explanation.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
He doesn't have to. :|

To add on to Jax's and Ben's answers, you don't even have to write about humans in the Pokemon world. People have taken the plot of Mystery Dungeon R/B/T/D and used that to write fics about. No humans there. Also, there are fics out there that just take Pokemon and have them live their lives or try to get away from humans.

Really, the Pokemon canon is a vast canon with a lot unexplored yet. There's a lot to write about other than a new trainer challenging the gyms.

Dr. Mack Foxx

Years
Aren't you going to answer the original question?

I shall. To be honest, I rarely ever read fan-fictions. I stick primarily to writing as my huge stories tend to take a lot of time to complete. There have only been a handful of fics that I've read through over the years. However, the OT genre does seem plagued with a lot of bad stories and the whole OT concept seems to be overused. Still, it's always worth it to find the gems in the junk.

Astinus said:
Really, the Pokemon canon is a vast canon with a lot unexplored yet. There's a lot to write about other than a new trainer challenging the gyms.

Indeed, indeed.

Back