• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Does pressing B while catching a Pokemon really help?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It DOES NOT WORK. PERIOD. It only seems like it works because if you belive (Yes, I know I spelt it wrong) something is real enough it will SEEM like it is, but sadly it isn't.
    Quoted for truth.

Go learn some psychology, everyone.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I just tap a... or was it b, I can't remember it has been a while. Anyways, the more rapidly I tap the better I feel.

LMAO I do the same thing. I keep on pressing B just so i can calm my nerves. lol.

But I dont really think that increases your chances of catching a pokemon.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    Oh wow, I remember my brother telling me this over a decade ago, and me rolling my eyes when I said that there was no chance. But nonetheless, he still did it, and I always insisted that it was a waste.

And to this day, I always keep my fingers off the A + B buttons when throwing poke balls. And believe it or not, I still manage to catch them more often than not! :P

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I did it for a while, realized it didn't work, then just watched the telly while the ball shook.

I press and hold L+R+START when catching Pokemon it catches most of the time,

xD

You're one button off from accidentally soft-resetting your game. :3

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Honestly, no button combination will help you catch a Pokemon.

Nor does going abutton!abutton!abutton!abutton!abutton!abutton! when running through grass increase your chances of running into a Pokemon. xD;

All you can is press the button to throw the ball, and then hope..
    buuut if bashing the B button really fast 50 times helps you get through those 6 seconds of suspense, then bash away.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    PRESSING BUTTONS DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! It's just a rumor that is as absurd sounding as yelling into the DS mic to increase the chances of catching a Pokemon or waking up...
    But I can't help but find myself doing it out of habit, even though I know that it doesn't work. Just gives me that false sense of confidence. When it "didn't work", I just tell myself that I didn't press it at the right time. Basically, it "works" because you make yourself think that it worked. IMO, anyway.
    Lol waking up.. next up u see urself shouting "WAKE UP YOU STUPID PIPLUP S**T" XDDDD

ha instead of pressing buttons just do the formula of catching (available at bulbapedia)

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    It's just a rumor.

Actually, I've tried this once and caught myself a Zapdoes. XD

...I think it's still a rumor, though.

Years
    Well, I highly doubt it works, but pressing Up + A helped me Catch Mewtwo on my first try with a Masterball....wait...no, lol I used to do it all the time, even now I'm tempted too. Who knows if it really works.

Years
    It has no effect on your catching a pokemon. The chances of you catching the pokemon are determined by the game, and you pressing buttons doesn't do anything to help.

That being said, I remember this rumor from when I was a little kid, and I still find myself holding down B a lot when I'm trying to catch a pokemon. I know it doesn't do anything but I still do it anyways.

Back