• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does some Ecchi turn you off of a good anime?

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    I've started an anime and thought, "Wow this seems pretty good..." and next thing I see tons of panty flashes or inappropriate falls that show panties. I understand fan-service is there for the fans but sometimes I think it's a bit too much in some anime. Love Hina is a good one that comes to mind.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • In most cases ecchi destroys anime...
    Though there are some exceptions...
    For example 11eyes was really good even though it was ecchi.

But you are right, if ecchi is the main purpose of anime, it can never be good...

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Meh, I don't really mind Ecchi that much. If it's in there, and the anime is good, I don't really mind watching it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Yes. It can definitely ruin it.

:( Supposedly High School of the Dead was really good but I couldn't even get through the first episode because of all the panty shots and gratuitous boob jiggle. A little fanservice is fine, but when it distracts me enough that it's all I can notice, I completely lose interest.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I don't really care one way or the other. It's not like I'm actually going to get anything from ecchi, if you know what I mean, but it doesn't really take anything away from the anime either. It seems that the best comedies usually have ecchi in them too. To Love-Ru and Umisho for example.

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
    Years

:( Supposedly High School of the Dead was really good but I couldn't even get through the first episode because of all the panty shots and gratuitous boob jiggle. A little fanservice is fine, but when it distracts me enough that it's all I can notice, I completely lose interest.

^THIS.

Most folks who watch Ecchi anyway are one of two types. Lonely, or, well, a little perverted. (At least in my observations, anyway) The story isnt what matters. It's how many times can I see a little T & A?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I don't mind a few boob-smushing hugs, but anything more than that (and excessive jiggling) is a bit too much.

Most of the time it's just in a comedic way, at least in the things I watch, so it doesn't last long as in reasonably good taste... :L

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Ecchi in anime only makes me want to watch the stuff more nowadays, if only to laugh my ass off at the bouncing breasts that resemble 2 bags of wet sand the more I pay attention to them.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • It really annoys me because it bothers me to see women pictured as sexual objects in general... Sexy is fine, but sometimes it's too much -like ecchi.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Why not?

Sure, it may have things you may not like in it, but what's stopping something that has any of that in it from having pure gold comedy? A deep storyline? Or anything else along those lines..?

I have never seen it, but judging a full anime based off of one thing you don't like about it seems a little shallow if you ask me.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    Yes. It can definitely ruin it.

I can vouche for HOTD. Although there are a lot of fanservice, and I mean a lot, it has a really good storyline.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • HOTD had a good storyline? I guess if you class a generic American Zombie survival films as good storyline then maybe. I always thought the main draw to that series was the boobs, then the action, then the music and then perhaps the dorama. Is it bad that my favourite bit about the series was Rei getting slapped?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I wouldn't stop watching a series because of the fan-service alone, but I do sometimes find it annoying the amount of it - and the unrealistic situations that result in those scenes happening in the first place. I'm not a huge fan of bath/shower themes either... if they have to include steam that looks completely unnatural and out of place, maybe that scene shouldn't be in there at all...

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2019
    WTF? I'm not gay nor a prude, so why on Earth would Ecchi turn me off an Anime? If anything, it IMPROVES a good Anime.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Some Ecchi is fine, but when it's overdone and that's the whole point of the anime, I lose interest.

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years

The amount of ecchi in it goes down later on.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It depends on how much there is and how they use it. Some anime use it for unique artistic direction or for story directions such as foreshadowing and implication (like Bakemonogatari), and that's fine. Also, if it ties into the show's story or comedy (such as in Baka and Test), I'm also okay with it. Finally, if it's there but they don't go "Ikki Tousen" on it, I'm fine with that as well. Having said all that, if an anime has gratuitous ecchi for no reason then it'll lose points with me- unless it's by Gainax, in which case I'll expect it.

Back