• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Double Battle Error

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2012
    Something very strange is happening when I set up two trainers to spot the player at the same time and go into a double battle. I read completely through the trainers page in the Wiki and its double battle section, and followed its instructions exactly. The end result is that some combinations of trainers will fight together and some will not. NOTE: this has nothing to do with number of Pokemon. All combinations I tried have fewer than 6 together.

At one point, I have two trainers spot the player. One is LADY Misdreeveus, defined thus:

LADY
    Misdreeveus
    3,SUPERPOTION
    MAGBY,28,PERSIMBERRY,BELLYDRUM,MACHPUNCH,FIREBLAST,IRONTAIL,,,,,,,,Lavvyboo
    ELEKID,28,PERSIMBERRY,SHOCKWAVE,THUNDER,KARATECHOP,THUNDERPUNCH,,,,,,,,Zappypoo
    MISDREAVUS,26,,,,,,,,,,,,,Drearygoo

And the other us TEAMMAGMA_Female Lum, defined thus:

TEAMMAGMA_Female
    Lum
    VULPIX,30,LUMBERRY,SECRETPOWER,DIG,FLAMETHROWER,SUNNYDAY,,,,,,20,200,Daji

At that point, the double battle is entered without error. But then when I replaced Lum with this trainer:

TEAMMAGMA_FemaleAlt
    Arturia
    PONYTA,30,LUMBERRY,SOLARBEAM,BOUNCE,HIDDENPOWER,SUNNYDAY,,,,,,20,200,Haizum

It broke and gave me this error:

---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 2, map 93 (Fireyay Death Mountain Upper):

Exception: NoMethodError

Message: Section068:323:in `initialize'undefined method `itemRecycle=' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::TEAMMAGMA_Female,"Lum",_I("mer"),false,0)

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

PokeBattle_Battle:322:in `each'

PokeBattle_Battle:322:in `initialize'

PokemonTrainers:369:in `new'

PokemonTrainers:369:in `pbTrainerBattle'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:788:in `eval'

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:788:in `command_111'

Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:276:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:788:in `command_111'

Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Scene_Map:114:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Hmnyoobadoo\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

When I changed Arturia from TEAMMAGMA_FemaleAlt to TEAMMAGMA_Female, it still gave the error. Then when I changed Arturia's name to Art, it worked. That made me think that their trainer definitions combined maybe had too many characters, but when I tried two CAMPER Andrews, it failed. Again, NONE OF THESE TRAINER COMBINATIONS HAVE MORE THAN SIX POKEMON.

As a side note, I ran the program the next day without changing a single thing and Arturia and LADY Misdreeveus worked. But other combinations still did not.

Now, whenever I try to pair Lum with Arturia, it gives me the same error message as before. Every instance of trainer event is identical except for the Trainer Type and Name entries. I changed these entries in the comments as well as in the pbTrainerBattle call. I made everything else, including what they say and their sprites, identical for the sake of troubleshooting, and pinned it down to the trainer type and name.

I've been troubleshooting this for hours and have tried dozens of the most obvious things to no avail. At one point, I started with two LADY Misdreeveuses noticing the player at once, and that worked fine. Then I went through and changed one detail about one trainer event, testing each time I changed one thing. I made that trainer into an exact replica of the TEAMMAGMA_Female Lum event gradually, and everything still worked at each stage. Then I started changing the second trainer, and the error first showed up when I changed her Trainer type from LADY to TEAMMAGMA_FemaleAlt and her name from Misdreeveus to Arturia. The only conclusion I can reach is that at least one trainer in all double battles must always be LADY Misdreeveus. I'm extremely confused.

Note that every one of the trainer events I'm using works perfectly on its own as a single battle, and none give me errors about the trainer definitions or syntax or anything.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    You're over-thinking it. A quick search of the "Bugs" thread will tell you that double battles are broken in Essentials v8. A solution is also in the same thread.

Back