• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dragonfree's pixel art thread... of doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
  • Since my previous thread was closed for no good reason (because somehow it really helps the forum if I make a new thread to post my sprites rather than posting in the thread I already had which happens not to have been posted in for thirty days!), I'm making a new one and thus wasting some more space in the forum database for absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

Soooo... samples...

Scorplack, fake Pokémon, © me. Created 100% from scratch.

Ninetecuno, the Articuno/Ninetales hybrid. I like it because I for example changed the shading on the tails, and I love how the scratch legs came out.

Entry for the July contest here, whose theme was a restricted palette. I think it managed third place. :3

My Eon series - pixel-overs of TCG art.

My Sugimori pixel-over series.

Some random other sprites I like that I've made:

Yay, that's all.

Now for some new stuff since I last posted in that old thread:

Two snowmen made for the December contest here.

Yellow version Cloyster revamp, done for a spriter retest on PMF. Because I never liked the original very much, it is kind of half-hearted effort, but meh.

Whee. Now comment.

Last edited:

Arlynn

Fourteen
    Years
  • You are so amazing! Your talent is unbelievable, and my jealousy is hard to contain.

Anywho, some Constructive Crit if I can manage with this great stuff;

Dragonair Sugimori Pixel-Over: Maybe it's just me, but the head looks mini compared to the rest of it. ^^;

Rapidash Sugimori Pixel-Over: It's left fore-leg seems oddly bent, like it was more noodle than bone and muscle.

Mew: The head seems a slight bit too big for it's body, and it's tail seems to not be long enough.

Pidgeot/Articuno Fusion: The head seems to be a bit lopsided, a little to the right would make it better methinks.

Dragonfree

Years
  • My sig has a link to my site, which has a spriting guide, which has an explanation of how pixel-overs are made. Basically, I shrink an image to the right size, make a new layer, draw an outline pixel by pixel on top of it, erase the original image and color/shade with colors from the official sprites.

强有力

Powerful
    Years
  • how did you do those big pixel overs? They look so professional. Did you use Sugimori art and just revamp that?! Because i want to do pixel overs!

Arlynn

Fourteen
    Years
  • Hope you don't my suggesting of doing an Absol. ^o^ Your pixels are much too beautiful not to suggest something.

Years
  • Wattsie1993: I wouldn't recommend posting your addies in public. :x Next time it would be better if you do so via private messaging. :3

And sorry about your last thread being closed, Dragonfree, but I'm afraid the revival rule is a general rule of the forum, and rules are rules. ;/

Anyway, I've always admired your work. :D I especially like the July contest entry, absolutely beautiful, the rest of your work is wonderful as well, keep up the good work~

强有力

Powerful
    Years
  • Dragonfree..... i am sorry to be bugging you like this but it doesnt tell you how to do those big pixel overs. On the eevee evolutions you say those are pixel overs. I want to do those!
    This was my first try but the outline is rubbish

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Years
  • Uh, you do them the exact same way. o_O You just shrink the art less before you begin, but that's all the difference, honestly. I can't quite figure out how you could get that result from doing anything similar to what my guide tells you to do, to be honest. It looks like you took some small Sugimori art, outlined it and then randomly enlarged it afterwards. o.o

zak

xpert trainer
    Years
  • wow

your works really amazing , i really like hte fakemon dragons theyre just , wel perfect, cant wait to see more of your work ,

强有力

Powerful
    Years
  • Well i followed your guide but some parts i didnt understand. Well here is my first try at a small pixel over. *Seemed the easiest place to start* So here is it

Dragonfree

Years
  • Dragonfree's pixel art thread... of doom.

This is my worst sprite for a long while, but it's an Eeveelution splice that includes something from each of them and uses only the D/P sprites. Five-way splices are harder than they look. @_@

Mutark, a fake Pokémon. This requires a bit of explanation: Mutark is one of those "gimmick Pokémon" - such as Ditto, Smeargle, Castform and Kecleon - that are weak, don't evolve, but have some unique random trait. Mutark's is that it grows into a bigger, stronger form at the taste of its own blood, which if it were a real Pokémon would, in the games, cause its sprite to morph into the form on the right of the current one and all stats to increase by one level at the end of any turn during which it is struck with a physical attack. All the sprites are made from scratch, although the pose of the fourth one draws much inspiration from the Gold version Persian.

Arlynn

Fourteen
    Years
  • That fake-mon is so awesome. If it were an actually Pokemon, I'd love to have it. i love all gimmick Pokemon. =D Anyways, the one that seems a little off to me is the last one - the tails seems odd to me, for a reason that I can't put my finger on, and it's left foot seems to straight and flat.

aocom

Me like pixel art
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2008
    On the second one, I think the leg is bending the wrong way. @_@

ptah

Beetles are racers.
    Years
  • *Walks around here hoping to be blessed by the great almighty pixels god* I adore all.. And i realy should attend pixel art lessons...

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Pixel Art

I love your work, its really great just a couple of questions and comments,

First the Blue Charizard Body with the dragonite head is Awesome,

Also whats TCG art? and Sugimori?

Ive had a go at your tutorial on your website (your randomness was Hilarious) , the end product wasn't to bad, but i prefer isometric pixel art, i find it easier, anyway keep up the awesomeness, RAAH!

Paranoia

dreemxweever

Full fledged auto mechanic
    Years
    • Age 31
    • U.S.
    • Seen May 3, 2010
    paranoia, sugimori and TCG are basicly japanese anime versions of sprites from the pokemon games.. www.pokemonelite2000.com has a bunch of sugimori you can check out..
    and dragonfree all of your sprites are flipping amazing, especially the mutark.. thats extremely good for scratch pokemon.. it looks so real.
    my thread: the weaver's works

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back