• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Drilbur EPO 54 is viable?

KenXEcker

Pokemon Professor
Years
  • So, I'm not sure if any of you have read about this, or even seen it in your leagues, but there is a pretty controversial topic about Drilbur EPO. To those unfamiliar with Drilbur, here's a summary of him:

Drilbur HP70 Fighting

C Hone Claws: During your next turn, each of this Pokemon's attacks does 30 more damage

Ft Scratch: 10

Weakness: Water
    Resistance: Lightning

Retreat: CC

You're probably thinking, "how is this viable? It has a maximum damage output of 40 before weakness, and it takes 2 turns to get there. You're silly KenXEcker"

Hold that thought, because there's potentially a lot more to it than one may think. Imagine that paired with Mew EX, whose versatile ability allows to use attacks of all Pokemon in play, provided the necessary energy is attached.

Now you're probably thinking, "so what? Doesn't change the output any. It just gives you more HP with the EX rule slapped on"

I'm not finished yet, you need to quit interrupting...

Does anyone remember Kyurem from noble victories? Glaciate does 30 damage to all opposing Pokemon for WWC? Or what about Registeel EX Triple Laser for CCC doing 30 damage to 3 opposing Pokemon.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

Everything. Here is a scenario:

Turn 1: Start with Mew EX active, attempt to get Registeel EX and at the very least Drilbur out by means of any preferred Pokemon search options. Attach an energy to mew, and use Hone Claws as your attack.

Turn 2: if you have not already done so, get Registeel on your bench. Attach a DCE to Mew EX and use Triple Laser.

What happens? Hone claws adds 30 damage to that attack, but nowhere does it specify that the effect of hone claws would only damage the defending Pokemon (like pluspower does), therefore Triple Laser does 60 damage to 3 opposing Pokemon.

Why is this so controversial? Clearly the attack does 30 more damage, and the attack spreads damage across the bench. Nowhere is hone claws limited to damaging the active Pokemon.

Is this unfair? Not at all. I think the pioneer of this strategy is a genius, and the deck will play an important role in as soon as battle roads this coming weekend.

Let me know what you think about the topic. Should it be a legal combination? What do you think would happen to the format if a strategy like this were to emerge?

(I feel as if I'm posting in the wrong area, but posting it in deck reviewing seemed like it would definitely be a wrong place to put it)

Years
  • If it is deemed a legal maneuver, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes more than a few BRs by storm, but because of the whole EX rule, it's susceptible to the same things other EX dependent decks are. Like Catcher, for instance.

I'm no professor, but the wording seems to be all there for it to be legal. might get one or more of the cards banned from the format if it's too dominant, though

KenXEcker

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • I have read it being tested on PTCGO, (using Kyurem instead of Registeel) and it does spread 60 all around. However, it's kind of tough to trust the PTCGO right now considering the prize denial by rescue scarf. I guess I'll find out for sure this Sunday at my Battle Roads.

Years
  • This is going to be one of those quick attacking decks that needs to put the pressure early on and keep it there. If it sets up too slowly, then it's a gonner because Mew EX is far too fragile to be setting up slowly. You really do need to get that triple laser / glaciate off turn two to start killing off any bench and cut the opponent off from evolving their Pokemon. It definitely does have potential though. Turn two hitting for 180 (total damage output) is no fricking joke.

I also like the way you constructed this post because I really was all like "where are you going with this, get to the point etc" haha.

KenXEcker

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • I kind of see this deck becoming more popular when the Black 2 and White 2 sets come out in November with the release of Blastoise, the feraligatr prime of BW-on, but better. However, the whole deck may flop because of it's necessary resources to be set up so quickly.

I'll build a decklist and test it on playtcg.me to see if it can consistently get the Turn 2 triple laser or the Turn 3 Glaciate. If so, then I might need to build it IRL as a backup option this Sunday.

Also I'm glad you like the post, I had fun writing it :3

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • I would definitely get with a judge on how that text would be ruled. It's an intriguing loophole in the text to say the least.

My biggest issue with the whole deck setup is that you're trusting a lot to Mew-EX. It's a glass cannon, and the cards it needs to setup with are slow and risky. The effect of Hone Claws is also nullified if Mew is removed from the active spot as well, which can easily cost you the game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    The wording is very clear, it seems like a perfectly legit strategy. I think it's balanced though, because you're gaining 30 damage every other turn in exchange for having a 70HP pokemon on your bench, a 120HP pokemon active who is susceptible to mewtwo, and two ex pokemon in play who yield four prizes in total if knocked out. Not to mention the fact that catcher can dispell the boost if it gets mew out of the active spot. It's fast, so you could probably get it to work before your opponent starts to mess with you, but I wouldn't call it broken. You may not even get the 30 damage boost twice in a game, depending on how fast your opponent's deck is.

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • After the initial boost, isn't it just more cost effective to just continuously use Triple Laser every turn anyway?
    Indeed it would, sir. The only benefit of actually getting the attack boost would be to hit over eviolite. But if that's the case you're pretty much screwed, anyways.

Back