• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS games to have DSi exclusivity features.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    It depends on how the games are coded. I'd like to see Nintendo insert some code at boot-time for each cart to determine what system is being used, if it's a DSi then all the DSi exclusive features would be available.

I'm not saying we can't have some games that are exclusively for the DSi, but I do want 100% backwards compatibility too, so that way you can still play DS games with embedded DSi functions.

I'm wondering if the DSi carts will be compatible with the DS or not. I wouldn't complain if some DSi games were DS compatible, without the DSi functions avalible. (Basic gameplay only, no camera, no SD card functions, using a DS compatible game engine)

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Haha oh wow Nintendo. Never failing to amuse me.
    I swear that if the next Pokémon game is a DSi exclusive, I'm so selling my Wii. And not to buy a DSi.

I'm wondering if the DSi carts will be compatible with the DS or not. I wouldn't complain if some DSi games were DS compatible, without the DSi functions avalible. (Basic gameplay only, no camera, no SD card functions, using a DS compatible game engine)

They talked about two kinds of DSi cards- the one with 'extra' DSi stuff, compatible with all DS, and the 'DSi exclusive' ones.

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
    Wait until for it to actually happen before making bane accusations, Nitrous Oxide.

On a brighter note, I can't wait to see what Nintendo has offer us with the DSi. Hopefully they'll make games that utilize all the features - more than what the article is pointing out.

Based on the demo at Gamestop, messing with DSi's features alone was amusing to mess with; not to mention the addition of the SD card slot adds more potential.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Hooray for Nintendo gimmicks. Just when we thought we were safe, they throw us more.
    At least nintendo are trying to get somewhere with gaming...not just give you a bog standard controller and some games to press some buttons with.

Even though I don't think this is going to be too much of an amazing thing..They're basically editing old DS games that people already have, so that they can buy them again and therefore ninetendo make more money.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I wasn't looking foreward to the DSi because of the fact of it's inability to play GBA games. New games with new DSi features would be nice, but don't try to give me a reason to throw away my Lite. In fact, I play GBA games more often than DS games on my Lite *coughGoldenSuncoughhackcough*.

So, if they were exclusive to the DSi, I would not be happy, mainly because after a while ALL games would be exclusive to it. Meaning my Lite wouldn't have much of a purpose.

I don't see why Nintendo is doing this other than to try to make us feed them money into their already wide financial stomach.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I wasn't looking foreward to the DSi because of the fact of it's inability to play GBA games. New games with new DSi features would be nice, but don't try to give me a reason to throw away my Lite. In fact, I play GBA games more often than DS games on my Lite *coughGoldenSuncoughhackcough*.

So, if they were exclusive to the DSi, I would not be happy, mainly because after a while ALL games would be exclusive to it. Meaning my Lite wouldn't have much of a purpose.

I don't see why Nintendo is doing this other than to try to make us feed them money into their already wide financial stomach.

You're going to have to accept the fact that someday, developers are going to start neglecting the original DS in favor of the DSi. It's all part of the transition to the next generation.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    At least nintendo are trying to get somewhere with gaming...not just give you a bog standard controller and some games to press some buttons with.

Even though I don't think this is going to be too much of an amazing thing..They're basically editing old DS games that people already have, so that they can buy them again and therefore ninetendo make more money.

Instead Nintendo gives us a fall finished remote and some games for us to wave it at.

I think this is a ridiculous idea. I mean, DSi itself is just a mix between DS and PSP.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    You're going to have to accept the fact that someday, developers are going to start neglecting the original DS in favor of the DSi. It's all part of the transition to the next generation.
    Would they? What exactly can it do that the DS can't? There's no boost in power or graphics or anything. It's a DS with a camera that doesn't do much of anything gameplay wise.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Yes, TRIFORCE is right. They've done this once with the Gameboy Color too.
    Mmm...well, eventually there were GBC-exclusive games. But, there was a point to these. For example, more available colours or colour-based puzzles.

The DSi is just the DS with a Game Boy Camera attached

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Which annoys me and pretty much everyone I know. Most people I know that the lack of a dual slot feature can destroy some important game play features, such as Pokemon's PalPark. And the whole "yay it's Golden Sun OH WAIT THE STYLUS DOESN'T WORK FOR GBA GAMES" experience is too much to let go of. I know that some day this technology will become obsolete, but admit it - who here stopped playing Silver/Gold/Crystal solely because the DS couldn't support it? You played it on an older version of it, namely the GBA.

It's really the consumer's choice that tells which way for Nintendo to go. If the DSi is a flop, then that will tell Nintendo something.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Which annoys me and pretty much everyone I know. Most people I know that the lack of a dual slot feature can destroy some important game play features, such as Pokemon's PalPark. And the whole "yay it's Golden Sun OH WAIT THE STYLUS DOESN'T WORK FOR GBA GAMES" experience is too much to let go of. I know that some day this technology will become obsolete, but admit it - who here stopped playing Silver/Gold/Crystal solely because the DS couldn't support it? You played it on an older version of it, namely the GBA.

It's really the consumer's choice that tells which way for Nintendo to go. If the DSi is a flop, then that will tell Nintendo something.
    Then keep playing your old systems. Why should they continue to support games that they no longer sell or manufacture. What input from the consumer could they possibly get that would tell them to have a GBA slot on future system? The GBA is over, it's not like GBA game sales are going to tell them something.

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    No, that's not what I meant. I meant that if people do NOT buy the DSi, but rather buy the DS lite or something they will most likely notice that something's causing the consumers to prefer the lite.
    Dual slot, mebbe?

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    I've known this since I first saw someone say DSi. It would be pretty stupid if they didn't have features only available on DSi. It's like creating the Wii and not using the wiimotes to their full potential. Ever.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    This is very reminiscent of the early GBC days. Super Game Boy enhanced titles retained most of their limited colour palettes on the GBC. Games were released to work on both the GBC and the original Game Boy save for a few features - i.e.: Link's Awakening had a Colour-only dungeon with colour-based puzzles.

When the GBA came along, some games had exclusive features when played on the GBA. Play the Zelda Oracles game on the GBA and you have access to an extra shop.

That's about it really. You're not going to miss much of anything. If you really want to take a picture to use as your emblem in a future Mario Kart game than go buy a DSi.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Then keep playing your old systems. Why should they continue to support games that they no longer sell or manufacture. What input from the consumer could they possibly get that would tell them to have a GBA slot on future system? The GBA is over, it's not like GBA game sales are going to tell them something.

Playstation3 plays PS1 games. So i don't see why DSi w/GBA slot would be unwelcomed.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Playstation3 plays PS1 games. So i don't see why DSi w/GBA slot would be unwelcomed.
    But all the PlayStation consoles use discs. So, for it to be backwards compatible it only requires one loading area for all the different kinds of disc.

Mind you that's also not always the case. It depends on the hardware. The original DS wasn't backwards compatible with GBC games as it lacked the processor that was present on the GB through to the GBA.

The 360 cannot play original Xbox games unless you download a patch that makes it emulation compatible.

In effort to add cameras and make the device slightly smaller you lost the ability to play old games.

It's not like you have to get rid of you DSlite. If you like playing GBA on it, then keep doing so.

I mean, I think it's stupid too. Lots of accessories use it, but whatever.

Years
    Seeing this still doesn't perk my interest in getting a DSi. I still don't know ANY of the features it will have. I would like to get another DS in case my current one decides to die on me, which will never happen because I take care of my systems.

I don't know about this. I'm still up in the air regarding the DSi.

Back