• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS Lite or PSP Slim&Lite?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Why do you say that Waka? The PSP has some amazing games. The other features are just nifty add ons that the DS couldn't possibly handle on it's firmware.

Simply because the DS wasn't designed to be used as a media player. Sony's recent focus hasn't really been on games that much, despite there being one or two titles that really deserve the attention.

The PSP Slim isn't necessarily something worth upgrading for the appearance of the thing, but the decreased weight could tempt some people. While the PSP Slim enjoys its latest achievement in selling 2 million units only by its first two months, the DS Lite remains as a consistent top seller since 2005.

Again, Sony's managed to attract a much better lineup of games for the system, and this is probably the reason why I'd prefer the PSP over the DS. Sure enough the PSP succeeds in playing PSP games, however, Nintendo considered taking a lesson from Sony's PS2 and made their portable compatible with GBA titles. Is it really a huge deal? Probably not, but one thing is for certain, backwards compatibility is never a downfall in a console's sales, especially when it supports such a wide library. Besides that, what a lot of consumers fail to realize is the fact that both Sony and Nintendo have different approaches in the gaming industry. Sony attempts to enhance the gaming experience with astonishing graphics. While Nintendo tries to provide consumers with a whole new experience of playing games with creations such as the dual-screened DS and Wii.

...are you pretending to be a journalist or did you just copy that off of a website? XD

wizzard

im like glitches and hacks :D
    Years
  • PSP is better them NDS. you can hear music on psp. you can do it on the nds? No. you can see images and videos on nds? no. my answer is AGAIN:PSP!

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • ...are you pretending to be a journalist or did you just copy that off of a website? XD

You know what? After seeing all the non-literate people on PC, anyone who makes proper sentences and can type and use proper grammar will sound like a journalist.

Finito, home slice. ;x

In my opinion, I agree with Shiro, or whatever. I don't have a PSP nor have I ever used one before, and it doesn't interest me, at all. If I want portable music, I have my mp3, if I want to see movies on the go... well actually I don't watch movies, so scratch that. I use my DS for gaming and thats it. What do I like in my games? A good plot and decent graphics. Of course really nice graphics can be pretty hot on a game, the longer plots (such as Golden Sun) turns me on even more. You know what, I'll stay away from that BAD analagy. ;x And the DS-L can play games from past generations (not GBC though, i think?) and I think games from the GBA and some in DS have great plots, then again I don't go around getting games at every opportunity. Hell, I've only got 1 DS game, about 5 GBA games and about 6 GBC games. The games I have all have great plots, except for maybe the DS game (Pokemon: Pearl). Oh and maybe one of my GBC games (Kirby: Tilt N' Tumble).

I don't really know whats so good about the PSP, I've only read half this thread.

Oh and by the way, whoever made the thread. SIX TO EIGHT HOURS WORTH OF BATTERY LIFE WAS GOD-LIKE WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE SO STOP YOUR WHIPPERSNAPPING! >O Plus, whoever is on their PSP for 6-8 hours straight needs a life. Seriously. >.> Just charge in between times you play, I mean. I hope you don't play more than 2 hours at a time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    PSP is better them NDS. you can hear music on psp. you can do it on the nds? No. you can see images and videos on nds? no. my answer is AGAIN:PSP!

Only demented people listen to music on a brick like the PSP. Get an iPod or something.
    Besides, it IS possible to view media on the Nintendo DS. You just don't know how.

Oh, and:
    "SIX TO EIGHT HOURS WORTH OF BATTERY LIFE WAS GOD-LIKE WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE SO STOP YOUR WHIPPERSNAPPING!"

The original poster's age says 17, and your profile's says 16. Time paradox?
    Anyway, your point doesn't make any sense anyway. Sure, it might have been "God-like" some time ago but now it isn't. Consumers want more, and we get more. This is 2008, and 6 hours of battery life is just stupid.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Only demented people listen to music on a brick like the PSP. Get an iPod or something.
    Besides, it IS possible to view media on the Nintendo DS. You just don't know how.

Oh, and:
    "SIX TO EIGHT HOURS WORTH OF BATTERY LIFE WAS GOD-LIKE WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE SO STOP YOUR WHIPPERSNAPPING!"

The original poster's age says 17, and your profile's says 16. Time paradox?
    Anyway, your point doesn't make any sense anyway. Sure, it might have been "God-like" some time ago but now it isn't. Consumers want more, and we get more. This is 2008, and 6 hours of battery life is just stupid.

The PSP Slim&Lite is lighter than the DS lite, so I hardly see how it's a brick.

In terms of plot, I have never played a DS game with a plot as in depth as Metal gear Solid: Port Ops or Silent Hill: origins. Then there are the many many PSP rpgs that just happen to be lovely sprited games, like Tales of the World, Tales of Eternia, PoloCrois etc. There's also a lot of fresh new games coming out, including the Monster Hunter series, Disgea2 and FF7:CrisisCore.
    There's a load of sport games and decent FPS games. So there's really something for everyone.

And you can buy a battery for the old PSP and stick it in the slim&lite which brings the battery life up to 12-14 hours. That's more than the DS Lite, so the battery life argument can be easily countered.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I say it's a brick because when compared to casual MP3 players, it's kinda big. I wouldn't recommend the PSP as an MP3 player.

And you can buy a battery for the old PSP and stick it in the slim&lite which brings the battery life up to 12-14 hours. That's more than the DS Lite, so the battery life argument can be easily countered.

Wrong yet again. The DS Lite's battery life expectancy is from 5-19 hours, depending on the brightness you use.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Most people play it on high/highest brightness, so it won't last the whole 19 hours generally.

There's a battery that used to give the old PSP like 12 hours, so I am interested to see what that will do with a Slim&Lite.

ChildishEnvyx3

r-r-rawr?! ♥
    Years
  • I own both a DS (Albeit an older one) and a PSP Slim&Lite.

I find both have pros and cons.

PSP sl
    Pros:

Amazing media features
    Great quality UMD films
    Lovely wide screen
    33% lighter than the PSP
    brilliant lighting
    A lot of good games recently
    Can do absolutely loads with custom firmware
    Great graphics

cons:

Only about 6-8 hours battery life
    Easier to break than a DS
    Still has a few problems with loading times.

DS l

Pros:

Compact
    Bright screen
    virtually no loading time
    lots of nifty features
    Some great exclusives
    durable
    good battery life

Cons:
    A lot of really bad games released recently
    Internet expansion is slow and rubbish
    the need for friends codes
    games seem to focus more on gimmicks than actual gameplay
    graphics are a bit 'last gen'
    Not much more on it other than the gaming aspect.

Those are just my opinions. What are yours regarding the two? And do you think that the respective updates are really worth the extra money?

I've had both, I traded my PsP in for my DS Lite, haha! Shows how much I thought of my PsP. Watching movies on it was awesome though, the quality was fantastic!

Apart from that I much prefer my DS.

Rose

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Most people play it on high/highest brightness, so it won't last the whole 19 hours generally.

I don't. I guess I'm just a minority, huh?

...I really don't want to go through this whole thing here, as well, so I'll just quickly summarize my thoughts:

DS Lite >>>>> PSP. Why? Games, controls, and focus. The PSP focuses on games, movies, music, internet...that's way too many things at once. DS focuses on specifically games, so it doesn't have to worry about all that other stuff (yes, this is a good thing). DS also gives the touch screen (and an easy sleep mode without having to let the unit just sit there), so we have more innovation in the games...just look at Phantom Hourglass, for example. Of course, the PSP might have better graphics, more FPS and the like, but to say that the system's for the more "serious" gamer...ugh, just look at the sales charts.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I say it's a brick because when compared to casual MP3 players, it's kinda big. I wouldn't recommend the PSP as an MP3 player.
    Oh? I already use my (not slimline) PSP as an MP3, WMA, M4A/AAC, and WAV/PCM player. :D
    I don't think they're heavy or large at all... I think all the light things are too small and light, though, so I've got a different standard on these things really.

Anys,
    Like the PS2 Slimline before them, I find the lighter versions of the PSP and DS unnecessary — a marketing gimmick, if you will.

I've still got my original black PSP and silver DS. I've always preferred my PSP though. Only downside I see to the PSP is that most of the PSP games I want aren't in shops here... :(

Back