• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DSLRs

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
  • So.. My parents are amazing and told me last night that they're getting me a DSLR for my birthday! I've wanted one for a long while, and they said that if I did the research of which one I wanted they'd get it. And I'd think if it was a bit pricey then I'd want to pay them some sort of difference..

But here's the question:
    I love people photography.. can any of you recommend some different DSLRs that I can check out? (I'm also torn between a Nikon or Canon)

What is a camera that YOU have? Or what is the perfect camera that you'd LOVE to have?

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • What's your budget first off?

I'm a Canon user, so I'm definitely biased towards them. And I'll be talking about their entry level DSLRs

Lower end of price spectrum I'd suggest a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS w/ 18 - 55mm kit. This is a crop sensor body that's pretty cheap and quite good, then kit lens is decent. However I'd suggest putting money into a 50mm f/1.8 lens as well, this is an amazing lens for the price and is probably the best lens to learn on.

If you've got a bit more money to spend look into a Canon EOS Digital Rebel T2i with 18 - 55mm kit. This a better body than the XS though is still a crop sensor, but with better ISO and HD Video.

Really though, look at those two bodies choose one and invest in glass (lenses), good glass will make a much larger difference to your quality of photos than a higher end body will do. Basically you'll need high end glass for a high end body, so if you build up your high end glass collection you'll be ready for when you need a high end body.

That being said, this is my dream camera, a Canon EOS 5D Mk II, it makes Canon's cheapest full frame camera and in my opinion the best or second best camera on the market at the time.

Also I currently have a Canon EOS 10D which is discontinued as of this time, and it could be argued that new Rebels are better than my current camera, however I haven't amassed enough cash or a good selection of lenses to justify upgrading to a 5D Mk II, but that'll be the next camera I buy.

EDIT: Didn't catch the first time through that you're interested in portraiture, in that case definitely still go with one of those two bodies, but definitely and I mean definitely get the 50mm f/1.8 and probably even the 85mm f/1.8 if you have the money for it. But those two lenses are amazing for portraiture.

Anyways, any questions feel free to PM me or anything and I'll be glad to help. Especially with learning the basics behind Aperture/Shutter Speed/ISO and how that relates to exposure and depth of field. =)

Last edited:

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    I'm an avid Canon user, although Nikon is quite amazing, aswell. I can't offer you anything firsthand, because I just tend to test out cameras.

Although when you are searching for a camera - keep it mind the purpose you're getting it. I highly suggest that you buy a seperate lens of preferably a different size.

My ideal camera is the http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_253359_-1

It also matters is what you plan to use it for.

Depending on how often you'd have the time to take out your camera. If you just want to take in amateur photography or possibly professional, you'll want a camera fit for that purpose. But if you just want to recapture memories and such, also keep that in mind.

You're wanting a DSLR.

Anyway, go to Best Buy/Circuit City and ask a few professionals. Tell them what you're looking for and why and how you plan to use it and I'm sure they'll give you an answer.

I hope my terrible help assists you! ;)

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • I'm an avid Canon user, although Nikon is quite amazing, aswell. I can't offer you anything firsthand, because I just tend to test out cameras.

Although when you are searching for a camera - keep it mind the purpose you're getting it. I highly suggest that you buy a seperate lens of preferably a different size.

My ideal camera is the http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_253359_-1

It also matters is what you plan to use it for.

Depending on how often you'd have the time to take out your camera. If you just want to take in amateur photography or possibly professional, you'll want a camera fit for that purpose. But if you just want to recapture memories and such, also keep that in mind.

You're wanting a DSLR.

Anyway, go to Best Buy/Circuit City and ask a few professionals. Tell them what you're looking for and why and how you plan to use it and I'm sure they'll give you an answer.

I hope my terrible help assists you! ;)

Bolded for emphasis. An amazing resource, as lots of times they are photography majors. Otherwise look for a local camera shop as well if you want in person expertise.

Also, she had mentioned she liked 'people photography' which is why I recommended a 50mm f/1.8 and a 85mm f/1.8 which are amazing lenses for portraiture.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Yeah I've been comparing the Canon T2i and the Nikon D90. Tough choices because they both ranked really high.. but the T2i is basically better if you want to shoot video, but the D90 (although can also shoot video, isn't as good as the T2i) The good thing about the D90 is that it's image quality and setup basically surpasses the T2i.
    D90 is way better in low-light situations..

Sooo.. both good.. one's better at pictures, the other's better at video @_@ Tough choices to make! Haha.. but it's nice to know there are quite a few DSLR users on PC :3

I went to Henry's (photography store) and got some info.. and I plan on going to Vistek (really professional image-ing store) I just wanna get all my info before I blow a grand on something.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Well, by pure logic from the standpoint of someone who knows only the minimum about photography, I'd say if you like photographing people, then go for the camera which performs better at taking still images. I think still images would challenge you to innovate with how you photograph...and you might enjoy it loads unless you REALLY REALLY love video more than stills.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Yeah I've been comparing the Canon T2i and the Nikon D90. Tough choices because they both ranked really high.. but the T2i is basically better if you want to shoot video, but the D90 (although can also shoot video, isn't as good as the T2i) The good thing about the D90 is that it's image quality and setup basically surpasses the T2i.
    D90 is way better in low-light situations..

Sooo.. both good.. one's better at pictures, the other's better at video @_@ Tough choices to make! Haha.. but it's nice to know there are quite a few DSLR users on PC :3

I went to Henry's (photography store) and got some info.. and I plan on going to Vistek (really professional image-ing store) I just wanna get all my info before I blow a grand on something.

tbh, for all intents and purposes the D90 and T2i are the same in terms of image quality. You said you like photographing people, in that case low-light performance isn't going to matter as you'll most likely be shooting a well lighted area.

Also, I just like Canon's lenses much better, I think they're of a better quality than Nikons.

Also if you're interested in portraiture, consider investing in a nice flash and learning how to use it correctly, it'll help immensely when you go to take pictures of people.

Edit: Here's an interesting read comparing the d90 and T2i, by Digital Review, which is a quite good site to get reviews and information from. This should help you.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • tbh, for all intents and purposes the D90 and T2i are the same in terms of image quality. You said you like photographing people, in that case low-light performance isn't going to matter as you'll most likely be shooting a well lighted area.

Also, I just like Canon's lenses much better, I think they're of a better quality than Nikons.

Also if you're interested in portraiture, consider investing in a nice flash and learning how to use it correctly, it'll help immensely when you go to take pictures of people.

Edit: Here's an interesting read comparing the d90 and T2i, by Digital Review, which is a quite good site to get reviews and information from. This should help you.

I had been looking at many other reviews as well and all of them notioned to the fact that the D90 was, in fact, better in terms of image quality on all accounts, but the Canon was much much better at videography.

I ended up getting the D90 :3

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • I had been looking at many other reviews as well and all of them notioned to the fact that the D90 was, in fact, better in terms of image quality on all accounts, but the Canon was much much better at videography.

I ended up getting the D90 :3

Grats on the d90. Not my choice but whatever. What lens (if any) did you get besides the the kit lens?

And tbh, your lens is going to have a much bigger impact on the quality of your image as opposed to the sensor within the camera.

Years
  • Currently, I have an Olympus E-620 and I love it.
    A lot of people say that the Olympus DSLR's aren't good enough and don't stand up to Nikon's and Cannon's. I say rubbish.

Olympus, in my opinion, are one of the most underrated DSLR's out! I have taken beautiful pictures from my camera and they can easily stand up to the different cameras that are out there.

I highly recommend looking at Olympus.

Back