• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dungeons And Dragons

Kobold Asylum

It's Trolling Time
Years
  • Discuss the awesomeness of the old game of DnD.

Dungeons and Dragons is a Role Playing Game with a heavy use of Dice. You take the role of an adventurer in a medieval fantasy universe. You can fight the forces of evil, play a mercenary group, be pirates, or even be a power hungry mage. The possibilities are endless.

I usually play thief.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • You mean Rogue. They're not particularly the best.

Spellcasters, specifically the Cleric, Druid, and the Wizard to a certain extent as well, are the best of all classes in Dungeons and Dragons.

Unless you play 4th edition; I don't know very much about 4e. >_> 4e is bad. WotC could've just made more 3.5e sourcebooks...

Cirrus

Years
  • 4e was broken before it was released.

I am also rather outraged at the underpoweredness that spellcasters have evolved into...

Of course 4e is playable, but it's not really the awesome that is 3.5e (and to a lesser extent Pathfinder as well I guess, though I haven't tried too much out). It feels like World of Warcraft in tabletop RPG form. It's okay-to-fine for casual players, but...

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2010
    Hey that was really awesome game, I am very glad that you have remind me the old days. Actually you are the best person who know all the things about the game. I am very happy to see that.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I haven't played 3.5 but I like 4e a lot. I play as a PC and as a DM in a couple different games.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Dont comment on Versions you haven played. Out of 3.5 and 4E I prefer ... 3.5. I really want a 3.75, or something to that effect.

And you play THIEF! Have you played nothing but the original?

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Dont comment on Versions you haven played. Out of 3.5 and 4E I prefer ... 3.5. I really want a 3.75, or something to that effect.

And you play THIEF! Have you played nothing but the original?

Actually, there IS a 3.75 to a sense. It's called Pathfinder, and was made after D&D 4.0 came out. It's commonly known as 3.75 and is backwards-compatible with all the D&D 3.5 material.

I play 3.5 myself.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    I know what Pathfinder is ... Its not what I want :-/

Its the closest thing though ... I like 4E, but all the classes are, if you ignore the fluff, the exact same. Sure, their abilities are different, but their abilities are all mechanically the same

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • I don't have any 4e books... So I'm good!
    From what I hear 4e isn't that great.

ALSO, I just decided a few days ago that I'm going to play DnD for the first time.
    As thinking of making a Half-Elf Bard...
    I'm having a hard time choosing there is literally a million choices. (So long as DM allows for races not found in the normal player handbook.)

So... any tips? Pointers? I don't exactly live in an area with other DnD players... everyone here is pretty superficial...

Cirrus

Years
  • 1. Bards are pretty bad.

2. Half-Elves are quite bad unless you're going for some silly build (Diplomancer et al).

For everything else there is Google.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • Okay well thanks for shooting me down a notch.
    Plus you must realize, a lot of the game is chance, and how you role play yourself.
    Much like how people are convinced on most games if you don't play a certain way, you'll suck.
    It simply isn't true, especially with DnD of all games.

I'll probably make a rouge... I just hope I can find a DM that will let me be Catfolk...
    Other than that, anyone have any cool campaign ideas?
    We should get this thread booming!

Cirrus

Years
  • Okay well thanks for shooting me down a notch.
    Plus you must realize, a lot of the game is chance, and how you role play yourself.
    Much like how people are convinced on most games if you don't play a certain way, you'll suck.
    It simply isn't true, especially with DnD of all games.

I'll probably make a rouge... I just hope I can find a DM that will let me be Catfolk...
    Other than that, anyone have any cool campaign ideas?
    We should get this thread booming!

Well, Bards are relatively bad. They're not the best choice out of all the classes. As you said, the game is chance. Therefore you have to make sure that chance leans on your side really heavily, or you can win without using chance at all. I have never said that you would suck if you played a Half-Elf Bard. I am simply stating that those two things - your race and class if you play a Half-Elf or Bard - are bad. This is truth.

I will hereby explain why Bards are bad (at least mechanics-wise; roleplaying is irrelevant because you roleplay at the same level whether you play a bad or good character).

1. Bards don't progress well at spellcasting. They hit 2nd level spells at level 4, correct? 3rd-level spells at level 7 or something? And that is only if your stat is high enough to allow bonus spells. Bards simply don't progress very well spellcasting-wise, and spells are very powerful tools. Bards as spellcasters are typically outclassed by the Wizard and the Sorcerer, as well as other classes of that sort (save for some spontaneous spellcasters, such as the Warmage and Beguiler, but even those are arguably somewhat better than the Bard in terms of spellcasting).

2. Bards don't have any real power. They boost their party, basically. However, when you consider the fact that the spellcasters of the party don't need such boosts (Divine Metamagic for Clerics, wildshape for druids - example: Venomfire is silly, polymorph for wizards, et al.) the Bard quickly becomes a supporter for tier 4 and 5 characters such as the Fighter and the Monk. That is not a good party niche to be in and you would serve the party better if you were a Binder instead, for example, or one of the other powerful classes, instead of being a Bard. If you want to buff people, be a Marshal, because their buffs are all day long, have almost no limit on their usage, and aren't hindered by the fact you have to actually use an action to play music. If you want to counter slash buff, be a Cleric or Wizard or something like that because their spells pretty much outclass the Bard's options. If you want to skillmonkey or use Charisma for stuff like Diplomacy, be a Warlock or Rogue, because those actually have some combat ability.

That is about it. It's not that "if you don't play a certain way, you'll suck", but more of "if you play a certain way, you'll be worse than other people". This is true for a great number of things, and the same for D&D. There are many ways to craft a good character, but being a Bard isn't typically one of them. (Of course you could try some Prestige Classes to mix things up, but the power originates from those PrCs and not the Bard.)

As for Half-Elves, well... I'll explain in detail if you ask for it, but I don't really want to write another two paragraphs at the moment.

Most DMs allow Catfolk. You just lose a level because of LA+1, though that's typically not an issue because Rogues don't care THAT much about level...

Speaking of campaign ideas... I want to run a party through Ravnica: City of Guilds. I have some ideas on how to adapt 3.5 to my purposes. Failing that I want to run a party through Tomb of Horrors or Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, as those are the two favourite premade adventures that I have.

There isn't really a custom world I want to run my players through other than Ravnica at the moment.

We could probably campaign on PokeCommunity, actually... I just have to get permission to use either the Other Roleplays subforum or this one. We can roll dice through an online dicechecking thingy...

http://invisiblecastle.com/

This is the net's best, most usable gaming resource site. We provide tools to assist gamers to roll dice and prove that they got the rolls they said they did. Our roller is fast and flexible, with lots of options to suit most games.

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • Sound's like a good idea, I hope to join you if you don't mind my newbie demeanor.
    So I've scrapped the bard and I've started making my Catfolk Rouge...
    Managed to get some decent attribute rolls...

I'm scanning all the DnD Books I have so that I can read them on my PSP on the go... There are a lot of books I must say... if you don't have one I could see if I have it.

Cirrus

Years
  • I have access to most/all books, and I know quite a bit of good stuff about classes and builds by heart. As for campaigning on PC, I wonder if there are enough players... If there were, I'd be interested in running a game, but I'm not sure.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • I have access to most/all books, and I know quite a bit of good stuff about classes and builds by heart. As for campaigning on PC, I wonder if there are enough players... If there were, I'd be interested in running a game, but I'm not sure.

I'm sure we could find more if we looked around.
    If we must we can just go to a dedicated DnD forum...

Though if you di decide to go to another site I'd appreciate a point in that direction in a PM or something, so far you're the only person I've run into willing to go on a campaign.

Kobold Asylum

It's Trolling Time
    Years
  • I've wanted to run an online campaign, but most people who end up interested are noobs. That means I have to supply a torrent with the PDFs. Then they back out because that is a lot of books. I usually play 2nd Edition. In 2nd Edition Bards and Thieves are very broken. I tried 4th edition once, far less saving throws than I could hope for considering I chose a feat that relied on saves. 2nd was chock full of saves. 3rd is a tad little too video game like for a table top in my opinion. I have yet to play first Ed.

Kobold Asylum

It's Trolling Time
    Years
  • It was. But, 3rd was video gamey too. I have great plans for a Lovecraft DnD campaign and a zombie apocalypse DnD campaign. I will also continue work on the source book called "Big Eyes, Blue Hair, and Tentacles" Let me know if you want to pre-order a copy of the PDF. It's 100% free.

Back