• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dunsparce?

Ruyu

Gliscor's Biggest Fan
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2014
    I think this pokemon might be a little under utilized. I am putting off starting my Pokemon Y game for one reason and one reason only, to get peoples comments on this almost never used pokemon (or so I was told it's almost never used). I was looking at the moveset on serebii for dunsparce and was amazed! I can see putting as much in HP/ATK as possible (though I never ev train, I like training as I go and don't like staying in one spot for to long) with the moveset like this: Poison Jab, Earthquake, Rock Slide and Wild Charge! Grass and Fairy Types would hate Poison Jab; Fire, Electric, Poison, Steel and Rock would hate Earthquake; Fire, Ice, Flying and Bug would hate Rock Slide; and Water and Flying would hate Wild Charge.

Now that's a lot of coverage on one pokemon!

What do you guys think? Let me know ASAP!

Ciao!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Lack of STAB hurts on your Dunsparce, you know. And the best way to use Dunsparce in a competitive field is a para-flinch set, which is done better by Jirachi and Togekiss.

Ruyu

Gliscor's Biggest Fan
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2014
    I didn't mean in a Player vs Player battle. I'm talking about in a Playthrough through the game, would he work nice or would I have better options?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I didn't mean in a Player vs Player battle. I'm talking about in a Playthrough through the game, would he work nice or would I have better options?

For playthrough it doesn't really matter. You could use anything you want and do okay. People have done well without even using evolved pokemon. You can get a level advantage as well.

Of course there are better options if you look at stats, despite its sets... but hey, playthrough is where you can use w/e you want.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2015
    With that kind of coverage, I think that sounds great for just game play through :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Also, don't forget it can leaner Glare (100% paralyze of opponents) so that's a good starting point, as well as make sure it has the ability Serene Grace which doubles the chance of moves with an additional effect activating. (so Poison Jab would have a 60% chance of poisoning your opponent, Earthquake has no additional effect and hits your team mates in double and triple battles unless they're flying type or have levitate or telepathy abilities, so I personally would ignore that (Just because a move is powerful doesn't make it viable to put on every pokemon) Rock Slide wouldn't be that great because Dunsparce is slow so the added benefit of a Flinch wouldn't help. Wild Charge while powerful, has no additional effect, so basically, try to use (in my opinion ) moves that have additional effects to really utilize that Serene Grace Ability.

I would suggest keeping Poison Jab (for the 60% chance of poisoning) maybe consider Ancient Power (it's only got a power to 60, however it now has a 20% chance of raising all your stats, Glare of course for the paralyze benefit, especially against opponents who can't be poisoned, Maybe Roost for HP recovery, Flail for Stab (plus, let's be honest, it's gonna lose HP so you might as well try to make use of that) or maybe Facade if you get afflicted with a status ailment (doubles from 70 to 140 when afflicted with status, plus 50% bonus for STAB makes it 210) There's lots of ways you can go, don't just always slap on the most powerful type moves you can, sometimes sacrificing a little power benefits in a host of other ways.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Also, don't forget it can leaner Glare (100% paralyze of opponents) so that's a good starting point, as well as make sure it has the ability Serene Grace which doubles the chance of moves with an additional effect activating. (so Poison Jab would have a 60% chance of poisoning your opponent, Earthquake has no additional effect and hits your team mates in double and triple battles unless they're flying type or have levitate or telepathy abilities, so I personally would ignore that (Just because a move is powerful doesn't make it viable to put on every pokemon) Rock Slide wouldn't be that great because Dunsparce is slow so the added benefit of a Flinch wouldn't help. Wild Charge while powerful, has no additional effect, so basically, try to use (in my opinion ) moves that have additional effects to really utilize that Serene Grace Ability.

I would suggest keeping Poison Jab (for the 60% chance of poisoning) maybe consider Ancient Power (it's only got a power to 60, however it now has a 20% chance of raising all your stats, Glare of course for the paralyze benefit, especially against opponents who can't be poisoned, Maybe Roost for HP recovery, Flail for Stab (plus, let's be honest, it's gonna lose HP so you might as well try to make use of that) or maybe Facade if you get afflicted with a status ailment (doubles from 70 to 140 when afflicted with status, plus 50% bonus for STAB makes it 210) There's lots of ways you can go, don't just always slap on the most powerful type moves you can, sometimes sacrificing a little power benefits in a host of other ways.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2015
    Kecleon is also a hardly used pokemon. A lot of the normal types are not used much, as well as some bug, BeeDrill, Beautifly. It's funny you are doing this because I've gone back to White version 2 to replay and I'm trying to use pokemon I would never use and I've kept some of them from evolving. So far I'm using around 11 pokemon: Psyduck (keeping it from evolving), Oshawott (keeping it from evolving), Sandshrew (keeping it from evolving), Lillipup (keeping it from evolving), Liepard, Raticate, Growlithe, Sunkern, Darumaka, Leavanny, and Cottonee. Out of all of these the only one I have used on a constant basis before is Oshawott, the rest I have never really used before. I'll probably add a few more but those are the only ones I'm playing with right now. Good Luck in your game!

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's in love with Dunsparce {<3} It's so adorable, and is actually pretty good in battle too (the paraflinch set is actually very good in a playthrough, I smashed the Elite Four pretty much just with Dunsparce). Very underrated. (Also it's 4'11", the same size as a Salamence, wtf.)

Rock Slide wouldn't be that great because Dunsparce is slow so the added benefit of a Flinch wouldn't help.

Half of the point of Glare is so that it can outspeed stuff.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Kecleon is also a hardly used pokemon. A lot of the normal types are not used much, as well as some bug, BeeDrill, Beautifly. It's funny you are doing this because I've gone back to White version 2 to replay and I'm trying to use pokemon I would never use and I've kept some of them from evolving. So far I'm using around 11 pokemon: Psyduck (keeping it from evolving), Oshawott (keeping it from evolving), Sandshrew (keeping it from evolving), Lillipup (keeping it from evolving), Liepard, Raticate, Growlithe, Sunkern, Darumaka, Leavanny, and Cottonee. Out of all of these the only one I have used on a constant basis before is Oshawott, the rest I have never really used before. I'll probably add a few more but those are the only ones I'm playing with right now. Good Luck in your game!

I thought Kecelon was kind of interesting but never used it much because it's advantage only comes after getting hit with a type, and then it's random types, however, now with the Friend Safari, Kecelon can now have Protean so it makes it WAY more useful now, although I kind of feel bad for not using it the way it was originally designed (with colour change)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Dunsparse's stats aren't that great, so regardless of what you do, it will still be pretty tough to utilize it. :P I'm moving your thread to Battle Center, by the way; it'd fit better there.

Moved.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2014
    It's still no spinda though. That one's just...urgh, so bad. Dunsparce at least has both a niche competitive set, a good move selection for in game runs and nice abilities. I leveled one to 69 when X/Y released just hoping it might've evolved into Zygarde. Was terribly sad when it didn't =(

Back