• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen e-Reader?

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2023
    I'm just learning of the existence of the e-Reader and I was wondering what experiences you've had with the e-Reader and how it improved your R/S/E/FR/LG experience?

Sirfetch’d

I never used it or really had any idea as to what it was. I consider it the forgotten feature of the 3rd generation simply because no one really seemed to care about it.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Benefits including: having more trainers to battle or even more Pokemon to catch(Fr, Lg, Em exclusive).

runandtell

don't f***le with the shuckle
    Years
  • the E-Reader is one of the worst features ever in any nintendo console. similar to the N64 DD it suffered from many bugs and was pretty much unusable

the only thing i ever attempted to use mine for was that this was the method you used to obtain an eon ticket and go to the southern isle to catch latios/latias

if one is available on ebay etc. dont buy it. it may be rare, but its also a piece of junk

it takes many attempts to make the system work at all! if you are going for latias and latios just buy another game

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2023
    Benefits including: having more trainers to battle or even more Pokemon to catch(Fr, Lg, Em exclusive).
    I know that you could add Pokemon to the Altering Cave in FireRed/LeafGreen, but only the Japanese versions would work for that for some reason.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Bulbapedia said:
    Though it was popular in Japan, with e-Cards released until the end of the Game Boy Advance's lifespan, the e-Reader proved to be unpopular in North America, leading to its discontinuation in 2004.[S-HIGHLIGHT] e-Reader functionality, included in the Japanese versions of Pokémon FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald, was removed from the English and other translations[/S-HIGHLIGHT], as the compatible cards were never planned to be released.
    In other words the compatibility of e-Reader for non-Japanese versions, exists for Ruby and Sapphire only. :(
    Sorry I should have quoted that earlier.

Years
  • I think this just speaks to the kind of pokemon community the device was appealing to at the time. I mean now something like WFC connection is easy given the prevalence of wifi in homes around the world but earlier we were just a bunch of kids who liked pokemon haha e-reader just didn't take off!

Pokémon Trainer 188

OMG OMG, I am the Biggest E-reader fan EVER, I have all the Cards for the American sides and almost all the Japanese Cards, the E-reader is amazing and I wish it came out in the UK and they made more Cards! :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2023
    OMG OMG, I am the Biggest E-reader fan EVER, I have all the Cards for the American sides and almost all the Japanese Cards, the E-reader is amazing and I wish it came out in the UK and they made more Cards! :D

I've been specifically wanting the a Japanese Shuckle card for my Japanese FireRed. Any pointers on where to get one?

Reactions: Sun

Pokémon Trainer 188

Try E-bay and as it's Japanese put "Shuckle e" as the E-reader in Japan is has e on the end of their Cards

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2023
    Try E-bay and as it's Japanese put "Shuckle e" as the E-reader in Japan is has e on the end of their Cards
    Would an English e-Reader card like this work on a Japanese game? Also, is my English e-Reader even compatible with the Japanese games?

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • @ topic: The E-Reader was one of the best legit game-enhancers back in the day. I got the Nintendo Power S.S. Aqua ticket E-Reader card, which let you unlock Southern Island in the Ruby/Sapphire games so you could obtain the missing Lati@s and the Soul Dew. That alone made this worthwhile, but there were also a lot of minigames you could play using the E-Reader itself as well as utilize the RSE version of the "Battle Club/Test." The minigames were a lot of fun. I spent hours playing the E-reader Rapidash & Ho-oh racing game (I could never make it to the end, though).

Pokémon Trainer 188

Would an English e-Reader card like this work on a Japanese game? Also, is my English e-Reader even compatible with the Japanese games?

Nope, You can not Cross with Japanese Games, And that Shuckle Card does not go with a R/S Game it's a Stand alone Card.

Btw You can use American Cards on a European Game tho :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2023
    Nope, You can not Cross with Japanese Games, And that Shuckle Card does not go with a R/S Game it's a Stand alone Card.

Btw You can use American Cards on a European Game tho :)
    So where would I go about obtaining the cards to activate Pokemon in the Altering Cave of FireRed/LeafGreen (J)?

Pokémon Trainer 188

There is no such Card, It's was a Event where you would Download it with a Wireless Adapter and these Event are no longer Available.

If you would like to see a R/S Battle e Card in use I have a Video.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2023
    There is no such Card, It's was a Event where you would Download it with a Wireless Adapter and these Event are no longer Available.

If you would like to see a R/S Battle e Card in use I have a Video.
    I see. I googled how to get Pokemon in the Altering Cave and lots of people said that you could use an e-Card of one of the compatible Pokemon to activate them in the Japanese version of FR/LG only. Silly rumors, I guess.

I would love to see a video, though.

Pokémon Trainer 188

I have all the FR/LG Cards and there only so you can Battle Trainers in Trainer Tower, It's like that Rumor I saw saying you can get all the Tickets to visit the Islands on E-Cards. ^_^

Also Here is the Video, Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK0RZH4j2WQ

Pinta77

I never had an e-reader. I knew about it though. Unless you're a hard core gen 3 fanatic it's probably not worth the trouble. Unless you want it for your gaming collection or something.

Back