• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

E3 2010 - Discussion

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I think the biggest surprise that I saw there, which might have been in the works for awhile now (but I saw it for the first time there) is Power Gig Rise of the SixString. And it's insane just how busy it was there. It was easily one of the most popular, if not the most popular and most visited exhibit (besides maybe FFXIV).

It's sort of a Rock Band-like game, with a big twist in that it incorporates a guitar controller that's more like a real six string guitar (like a more realistic guitar - no multi-colored buttons). I didn't get a chance to play it, because of how busy the booth was (it was worse than a feeding line in a third-world country; I was lucky just to see it), but I will say that it looks like this could be a sleeper hit for people that might really be thinking of starting their own band or group, especially if this game can serve as a learning tool for teaching people how to play the guitar or any of the instruments.

That said, from what I've seen, this one probably isn't for casual Guitar Hero and Rock Band fan. I can definitely see this game having a huge learning curve, especially with the controller having so many sensors for each potential string pull. Even the guy at the booth said that it'll take practice to master it, even for hardcore Rock Band enthusiasts. And that's just the guitar. I didn't get a chance to see any of the other instruments (I don't know if they were actually on the floor or not, but I was more interested in the guitar anyway).

But personally, I think it's really cool that they're taking a chance on something that looks to be closer to a legitimate tool for learning an instrument. So I do give them props for that. Hopefully the finished product is as good as it looks (though I didn't see anything that looked unfinished there, even if I was only able to spend about twenty minutes there). And if you think you're a hardcore Rock Band or Guitar Hero nut, well, brace yourself. Because if this IS as good as it looks, then it's going to separate the truly hardcore enthusiasts from the wannabes.

Now, I tried to see as much as I could. And believe me, it's impossible to see everything. I'll probably go more in depth on a few of the games I saw, because I do have alot to say about some of them. I just don't have alot of time right now, so it'll probably be in a few days. It's seriously an endurance just to be there, because you're constantly running around all over the place trying to see as much stuff as you can. So as you can imagine, I'm still recovering from the ordeal.

I did however get a chance to see Final Fantasy XIV, and this one I WILL comment on, because there isn't a whole lot to say about it. I didn't play it, but I did get a chance to watch someone play it, which is more than a majority of people were able to do. Main reason is because the demos for it were booked up the *** from day 1. Pretty much, they were already booked almost immediately after they opened their doors (according to the floor manager). So it was almost impossible to even get in. But I did manage to at least see people playing it and the exhibit was pretty large

But I'll let you in on a secret here. Even if you didn't see it and want to see it, you're not missing much. I know it was just an early playable tech demo, but nothing was happening in the game. It was just a bunch of people running around an open field and staring at shiny lights, rocks and trees for twenty minutes. I'm not kidding. No combat, no spell casting, not even a town. Just a bunch of elves and wizards running around doing nothing.

There isn't even enough for me to give any kind of pre-review of the game. What you just read is all that I saw in the game.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011

No its not a new concept. Nintendo's experimented with it for years, from the Famicom, to the Virtual Boy, to almost on the GameCube.

The 3DS will be affordable and not require glasses. The PS3 requires a major financial investment... a 3D TV and stupidly expensive glasses for each player (or just people in the room, my mom often just watches me play - I don't think she wants to look at blurryness)

3D glasses come free with Bravia, and Sony will no doubt offer them for cheap for PS3 owners. Define "affordable" because there is no way the 3DS will cost under $200, it'll more likely be around $250, and around £200 (the DSi XL is like £140-150), making it nearly as expensive as a PS3 in England.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Alright. A little update. Apparently, Rock Band 3 is using the same sixstring guitar and drums as well. But as I said, this is going to have a real learning curve to it. So it likely won't be for everyone.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    3D glasses come free with Bravia, and Sony will no doubt offer them for cheap for PS3 owners. Define "affordable" because there is no way the 3DS will cost under $200, it'll more likely be around $250, and around £200 (the DSi XL is like £140-150), making it nearly as expensive as a PS3 in England.

So, let's say the 3DS costs £200. For a PS3 and the 3D TV required to get the 3D experience, you'd be paying over ten times that. AS a handheld, the 3DS is inherently cheaper as it functions independantly without requiring any other investment. And the vast majority do not have 3D TVs at the moment, meaning that PS3 owners wanting to enjoy the 3D experience will have to invest in the 3D TV. And if they want to use that 3D TV for any 3D-ness apart from the PS3, they'll have to pay for Sky.

Don't get me wrong, 3D gaming is awesome and the PS3 will obviously have some advantages - most obvious being graphics. But when it comes to cost, the 3DS is offering MUCH cheaper 3D gaming than the PS3.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    So far, Im liking the 3DS but I just wanna get my hands on one first. As far as games go, Kirby, DK Country Returns, and Metroid Other M are all im waiting for. The new Kid Icarus is a dream come true and I hope they start reviving more dead franchises (I would like a new Chrono game please!)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Well...

Even if it is $250, try buying a PS3 and a 3D TV for $250. Not going to happen.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011

Well...

Even if it is $250, try buying a PS3 and a 3D TV for $250. Not going to happen.

I'm not trying to say 3D with the PS3 is cheaper, I was just saying the 3DS will hardly be cheap itself.

Masquerainisthajam

Self-Proclaimed Gym Leader
    Years
    I may have never gone to E3, even though I would love to, but I still have my reservations about the Nintendo 3DS. Not because of the games, mind you, but the fact that there is 3D without the glasses. 3D to the naked eye. And we could even take pictures in 3D! I need to see it to believe it. Call me a skeptic, a doubter or a cynic, but I want to see the 3DS in action myself.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I don't doubt that it displays in 3D. I'm not really uneasy about it. Just, curious.

Since we can't really see what it look like from screenshots. We don't see 3D. But I'm confident it looks fantastic based on all the positive feedback from developers and people who got to check it out n the show floor

Back