• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen E4- Too big a jump before getting all 16 badges?

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    I totally agree.
    After beating the E4 for the first time, I breezed through all of the Kanto gyms, but when I went back to the E4 it took many hours of training to beat them :/

Years
  • It does seem like too big a leap (not so bad as from Blue to Red anyway, but large enough to be noteworthy). But it seems that going through the Gym's rematches first (all 16 of them) shortly after beating Blue, and THEN facing the E4 rematch, creates a rather smoother curve.

Sadly the jump from the E4 rematch and Red is a gap that's a little more annoying to breach.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I beat them with no problem the second time. It just took a little longer, and had to use some full restores thats about it. I'm glad they increased a lot, it's easier to level up my lvl 90s.

But I had a harder time defeating the Elite than I did Red. Red was a wimpy loser. I KO'd all of his Pokemon one hit. They didn't even do any damage on me at all. I was like..huh....I just used my lvl 92 Typhlosion Raikou, and Feraligatr

JADEN213

The Pokemon Trader and Give-r.
    Years
  • The thing i did in the old games such as silver and gold, i just used feraligator to beat the whole game well not entirely just the Jhoto part.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I agree w/ MrsNorrington, glad that they increased because it's easier to level up pokemon now, but at the same time pissed because I had to do some extra training (boring). Really the big jump should have been expected since the first encounter they were sort of weak. If it weren't for Lance's high pokemon then the levels would have been around the same as the 2nd time in the league in DPPt and FrLG.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2010
    I honestly went in Mt. Silver thinking I'd see Red send out his Lvl 81 Pikachu and then late 70's for the rest... then this guy sends out a Lvl 88 Pikachu... -_- Not to mention my main attacker at the time was Lvl 86 Lugia and the son of a ***** proceeded to send out Lapras and Blastoise -_-

That was one hard battle, and the thing is I battled him before I even faced the Elite Four for the Second time -_-

I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I honestly went in Mt. Silver thinking I'd see Red send out his Lvl 81 Pikachu and then late 70's for the rest... then this guy sends out a Lvl 88 Pikachu... -_- Not to mention my main attacker at the time was Lvl 86 Lugia and the son of a ***** proceeded to send out Lapras and Blastoise -_-

That was one hard battle, and the thing is I battled him before I even faced the Elite Four for the Second time -_-

I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

Lolz, it wasn't challenging enough for me at all. =(

Years
  • I reckon so, had to grind so much at Mt. Silver which just takes ages. If they made the leader rematch system and little better or actually had more happen in Kanto as you played through it (another rocket take over or something) it would have been better.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2014
    i reckon its a challenge which is good so you have to ACTUALLY try to beat the E4 and Red to go on in the game

pokemoneg

Self Proclaimed Mudkip Lover
    Years
  • Yay, Team Rocket!

I reckon so, had to grind so much at Mt. Silver which just takes ages. If they made the leader rematch system and little better or actually had more happen in Kanto as you played through it (another rocket take over or something) it would have been better.
    Yep, yep. I was a little surprised that there wasn't another Rocket takeover. Kinda disappointing. TT3TT
    I really wanted to battle more Team Rocket, there wasn't enough of them in the game.
    the levels are absurd. I had to transfer my TRU Arceus into my SS from Platinum, just to sweep Red. And the Elite Four.
    That seemed a little unnecessary.
    There isn't enough rematches, not to mention the VS Seeker isn't even in the game!
    Though I do like the Maps "!" mark to show where the rematch is, having the VS Seeker would be better.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2014
    I think that was the main flaw the lack of VS seeker but then again it makes it more tactical that spamming vs seeker near trainers

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Blue---->Lance: 15 levels (60-75)
    Lance---->Red: 13 levels (75-88; 9 levels (75-84) if you exclude Pikachu)

Game Freak's idea of making these battles a "challenge" is to hope that impatient players will try to face them with their Pokemon sorely underleveled. It didn't work on their part because I took the time to grind. I've never been one to bring a knife to a gun battle, so to speak. Match Red with Pokemon within 4-5 levels and type match him, and he's cake. I OHKO'd or 2HKO'd his entire team with mine at level 84.

What's really stupid though, is how tedious it is to get through Mt. Silver (Rock Climb... WHY?!?!?!) to get to Red. I've only battled him once just because it's not worth my time going through that blasted mountain just to battle a kid with a defective voice box and his ugly little rodent.

To grind easier, I just abused the DS time settings and the Gym Leader rematches so it wasn't that tedious. All told, I still prefer the leveling system in Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    currently I'm trying to beat red with pokémon underleveld by 10 and i also used a Ho-ho level 60 against him,it did some damage to snorlax altough its tough 10-20 levels underleveld is NOT fun.
    The problem is my mewto,lugia,ho-ho,typlhosion,Starmie team is not designed for water pokémon.

Last edited:

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • E4 took me alot of training. Which is good, seems they focused on having lots of gameplay time. I grew a bond between pokemon while doing this. With my slowking :)

Its a better challenge aswell,

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well it helps considering how you've gotta deal with Red next... this thread should be about Reds levels being too high instead XD!!

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2022
    Red was too Easy for me :disappoin. I could finish him with my Level 95 Swampert/Rayquaza and my Level 70 Venasaur (Yes really). Lapras was OHKO'd with Frenzy Plant. His Pikachu didn't get a chance to attack my Rayquaza and His Starters were easily beaten by Rayquaza, Swampert, and Luxray.

Way too Easy...

Gamefreak Failed

Back