• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Early Fossil NPC on Fire Red

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Hi! I've been working on a binary Fire Red hack mostly for personal use. Very new at this, mostly using tools with a tiny lil bit of hex editing.

I wanted to put the Fossil Revival NPC earlier on in the game - I was thinking on the Pewter Museum since it mantains flavor. Would this be as simple as going on a-map and switching the script offset from one of the museum scientists
    with the one from the Fossil NPC on Cinnabar?

If not, how else would I go about this?

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2023
    Don't know what the "binary hack" means but if you want to have the fossil revival scientist from Cinnabar in Pewter's museum, then you could simply just create a new NPC inside the museum and assign the script offset from Cinnabar's scientist to the newly created person event in Pewter, or you could just replace an existing scientist's script offset in the museum with the script from Cinnabar. You can always create a backup before doing any changes in case something goes wrong.

I would personally keep one of the scientist's scripts inside Pewter's museum as he can revive Aerodactyl from Old Amber, and would create a new person event with assigned script from Cinnabar (revives Omanyte and Kabuto).

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Alright! Nice to know it is as simple as I thought it'd be.

I would personally keep one of the scientist's scripts inside Pewter's museum as he can revive Aerodactyl from Old Amber, and would create a new person event with assigned script from Cinnabar (revives Omanyte and Kabuto).

I'm thinking of making the old amber guy the fossil revival NPC, and moving Old Amber to a later part of the game just so you don't get it that early. Early Aerodactyl sounds nuts, especially taking into account I have re-usable TMs on the hack and some other perks.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Okay, I've run into an issue.
    Copying and pasting the script offset works fine; but after I give away the fossil, exit and come back, he refuses to hand me my pokemon. I'm guessing this has to do with maybe a flag or some sort of check that activates on the Lab's warp tile? Maybe?

I've been trying my best to understand/translate the script with sierra's guide, but in case I don't get there or if someone has run into the same problem, I'd appreciate some help.
    An alternate solution would be to outright eliminate the waiting time, and get the NPC to give me the fossil instantly with no waiting time. I'm assuming I'd only have to direct the corresponding scripts to the end part?

Years
    • Seen today
    @jujuca

You should check which variables and flags are set/cleared in the script.

Iirc the variable in the script of the researcher in Cinnabar Island's Lab is set to a different value once you enter Cinnabar Islands' (outside) map. So you probably need to check that level script and implement it into the level script of Pewter City.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    @jujuca

You should check which variables and flags are set/cleared in the script.

Iirc the variable in the script of the researcher in Cinnabar Island's Lab is set to a different value once you enter Cinnabar Islands' (outside) map. So you probably need to check that level script and implement it into the level script of Pewter City.

I'm assuming I can't just copy+paste the 'extra contents' of Cinnabar's level script to Pewter with 0 consequences right? Heh

Early Fossil NPC on Fire Red

This is the Fossil NPC's script. As soon as it starts i'm immediately confused because i don't know what 'LASTRESULT' is, and it isn't covered on sierra's guide. I've spent the last half hour just looking at this script and the Cinnabar level script, to try and find what connects them, but to no avail.

Thank you for the extremely helpful reply! Unfortunately I think I might be way over my head on this one.

EDIT: uh, my screenshot is not showing up for me for some reason. Not sure if it's a problem on my end or if i did something wrong.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Sorry for double-posting again, but I wanted to leave this for posterity in case someone else needs this info on the future.

Turns out the variable on the Fossil NPC changes on exiting the Lab itself, and not entering Cinnabar! All I had to do was copy the script offset from the level script on the Lab and it all worked out. Thanks again!

Back