• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Elgyem's Sprite Scrapyard

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Hello, all. I am a beginner to the fine art of spriting, having only been spriting for quite a short amount of time. Anyway, I will be posting my sprites here, and I hope to improve my techniques. So, please give some feedback about my sprites in general, and specifically how I can improve.

Old Fakemon:
Spoiler:

New Fakemon:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Drimza

Open up your senses.
Years
OK, it's good to see that you improved from your old sprites, but the newer ones could use some improvement too.

ZOvZA.png

The legs are the main problem in this one. I can't tell which one is facing me because they both have a lighter color where the light is coming from. Also, I'm not sure if you meant to do this, but the front right legs is crossing over the left one making it confusing to tell which one is which. The back legs are good but could use some improvement also.

Fgq4y.png
97yCe.png

The problem I see with these is that the lighting is wild. It goes all over the place. It looks like there is a light coming from the left and right side making it look messy. Put lighting on just the left side (Usual pokemon shading) and make it darker as it moves to the right.

nzMcg.png

This is the best out of all of them. The shading is good on the body, the goo has good shading too, and the outlines are good for the most part.

Continue spriting and you will notice yourself getting better. Sorry, if I seemed a little rude in this post, it was not intended. Keep up the good work.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Your post was fine, in fact, it was exactly the kind of critique I wanted to hear.
mmwXC.png

Here's my attempted fix of the dog Fakemon I made. I attempted to fix the front legs, and I changed the head proportions a bit. In addition, I cleaned up some lines that needed editing in the back of the Fakemon. Is this any better?

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
The back legs still look awkward... and tail seems out of place.

I see what you mean with the back legs and the tail. I think I'll just re-do this sprite, I swear it looks worse to me every time I look at it. The new one will be up sometime tomorrow.

Drimza

Open up your senses.
Years
Glad you changed the dog fakemon, it looks much better. I'm looking forward to see the updated version tomorrow.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
BB0Ey.png

As you can see, I changed the back legs on this one. I also changed the tail a bit.

fA8Tu.png

I removed much of the shading on this one.

Any thoughts?

mineox100

Hey.
Years
BB0Ey.png

The tail is still out of place to me. I think it should be behind the fakemon's body.
The leg is a bit better. It's neck has no outline!

fA8Tu.png

The front leg has a bit of highlight on it, which, I think shouldn't be there.
Some parts has no outline (or it's there and I can't see it).

Drimza

Open up your senses.
Years
The dog fakemon looks much better now, so does that black shadow thing. Hoping to see some new designs soon

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Here's a new Fakemon.
scaled.php

It's a Ground/Ghost type. I'm going to re-sprite those Dark-types next. They will likely be up later this week, as I have to go back to school tomorrow.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I threw together these sprites, which are pretty much the same sprite. Any opinion on which is better and what I need to improve on?
jmZll.png
nf3YG.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
I threw together these sprites, which are pretty much the same sprite. Any opinion on which is better and what I need to improve on?
jmZll.png
nf3YG.png

Well i almost wanted to say that you have to improve the lines
to let them look more circle/ish but i've changed
my mind after i saw those 2 good sprites :)
They look really good,and my opinion is that the
2nd one looks a bit better,because i have the feeling
that the freen one looks a bit blank or something but
yeah make some more sprites and you will see your improvement
Just one think : Shade a bit the outlines and it will look really good
^ _ ^ Gl~

Years
I haven't sprited in like forever... but this is my 2 cents....
the fire/dark dog fakemon and the dark fakemon have extremely awkward poses... google pictures of a dog sitting down to compare to the first one and a dog standing to compare to the other... u can see how ur fakemons' poses dont look natural... nd ur shading is not bad, but i could use improvement, esp when shading ur pokemon as a whole, not just individual parts of them (eg. the neck in the fire/dark fakemon, it should be in shadow)

the cats legs are all different shapes and sizes (that might have been intentional tho, wasn't too sure) neway... the back legs should be higher... and the back leg to our left is placed waaay too close to the other back leg... there should be space between the two... it should actually be visible on the other side of the right front leg (our right)

neway... thats a couple of things u should work on...

start spriting using a reference, it really helps...

neways, glad to see a lot more ppl interested to sprite... keep it up!

InfernoHo-Oh

has returned
Years
They are great for a first try (:
Its good to study actual pokemon sprites while drawing to help you see how they shade.
I suggest revamping your fire/dark type pokemon, perhaps putting it on an angle to give it more life :D

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I just got back to spriting, and I decided to make a few ghost-types.
LZbZ7.png
oMl5e.png

They're based off of the mythological Djinni. Any opinions?

mineox100

Hey.
Years
They look much, much better! A few more steps up the ladder! :P
I think you still need to work on the outlines, make them more natural curves, if you know what I mean. The first one could use another eye. :P

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
They look much, much better! A few more steps up the ladder! :P
I think you still need to work on the outlines, make them more natural curves, if you know what I mean. The first one could use another eye. :P

The first one is at an angle, so the second eye isn't visible, but it could use at least part of a second eye.

Years
The purple-ish body colour needs some more contrast. It's hard to see the highlights. Your outlines are fairly decent. Keep it up. :D

@mineox
what Elgyem said. you can see it in official pokemon sprites as well.

Back