• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Elite Four Format

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    I really prefer the old ladder system. I felt like I was actually doing something. The current system is nice, but the feeling of accomplishment isn't as strong.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
    I was happy with the change. That was one of the reasons why I bought White and White 2. It is a much fairer contest with all the Pokemon having a range of only three different levels rather than having to progress the one by one with Pokemon at such an unnecessarily wide range. Otherwise your Pokemon would only need to focus on the final E4 trainer, whereas with the change you could focus on all trainers.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    In B/W, it made sense to reduce the rosters to 4 each because there were essentially two champions (N and Ghetsis) to make up for it. Then B2/W2 and X/Y retained the format for whatever reason.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I prefer the old method. I think its much easier for you to be able to choose who you battle now, and that's a pro in a small way, but I think battling the Elite Four the old method was a lot more challenging and a lot more fun. The Elite Four are the top four trainers in the region, and while it's idealistic to think they're all of the same level, they shouldn't be. One is tougher than the other. The old way demonstrated that with slight level increases of their Pokémon as you advanced toward the Champion.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
    I like both methods.

The ladder did give a definite sense of progression, and seeing as it was tougher, you could track your progress every time you failed.
    "Oh, I got to the third member, last time I failed at the first one."

However, now it is better for strategy in my view, but it may also be slightly easier. I was suprised by only 4 Pokemon each. However, I feel since X and Y have made it a lot easier to be a higher level come the E4, this also adds to the feeling of it being too easy. It might not be specifically the E4 layout's fault.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
    I have a few schools of thought; the new way, although ideal for strategic reasons, is not necessarily better than the old No-Choice 1-after-the-other type situation. The Elites are NOT going to hand over an easy match, and will have at least 3 pokemon w/ deadly skills. (Dragonite has Hyper Beam, prove me wrong :P)

I'm sayin, having first choice is seemingly better, the 4 Elites programmed into each game will ALWAYS have their staple element. (Lorelei-Ice, Will-Psychic, etc) If you lose, adventure some more in the given region and rebuild a strong team, but be aware of the elements of the Elites and refix your party accordingly. Say, if Bruno's Machamp is giving you too much trouble, raise a Psychic or Flying type or two to help out.

It only matters only in each given situation. You can only speak for yourself and decide your grand team. P.S. Miltank at level 55+ is a godsend.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    I prefer the ladder format....each step you take is in a stronger difficulity. Now that they are equales, they are not the elite 4 anymore...they are the elite trainers. The umber "4" is meant for saying it's a ladder. You know you have 4 opponents, every one stronger than the other. When they changed it, they also made it easier and fewer pokemon for each trainer. These are NOT the elite 4.....

Back