• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Energy Cards

Tyros

Professor Walnut: Shiny Expert
    Years
    So, I'm getting into the Pokemon TCG again after playing for maybe three years when it first started, and not touching it for over six years after that. I've been looking around online at deck lists and I noticed immediately that some things have changed since I've played. Makes sense, of course. Most of it, I understand, but something I can't really quite get is this:

I've noticed that it's a pretty common trend to use an incredibly low amount of energy in decks. Where 20 and above was acceptable back in my days of playing, it seems like the common number is 12 and lower today. What I want to know is how does this work? What is the reason for it? Are there just staple cards that let you grab the energy you need without any problem now? How do you guarantee that you're going to draw those staple cards that let you grab the energies?

I'm a little lost on this, so thanks for any and all answers.

- Tyros

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    There's tons of cards nowadays to fetch your Energy cards out of the discard pile, search your deck for them, and transfer them to benched Pokemon, etc. Not to mention that with more powerful cards now, battles don't last as long as they used to. However, I might be corrected on that. I haven't played in a while, and I don't know the new rules like the back of my hand as I do the old rules.

It's not a big deal, though. I still go with older rules and I do perfectly fine with them. So if you want to have 20 Energy cards, go right ahead. Ain't no shame in it. Besides, I know I'm frustrated when I can't even use those Supporter cards that let me use discarded Energies because there are none in the discard pile to retrieve. Smarter move to go with the older 20, or get in between the two (15-17 Energies).

Darokkian Magmortar

Pokemon TCG Lover <3
    Years
    Decks now attack with 1 energy, becouse speed is the most important factor atm.
    Example decks are: Kingdra, Charizard, Shuppet, Gyarados, Jumpluff etc.
    Also almost every deck runs roseanne research, and ALL the SP variants runs 4 Cyrus Conspiracy.

Years
    The staple cards that fetch energy from your deck, particularly Roseanne's Research, are roughly $3 apiece, since just about every deck could use one. Some Pokemon powers are designed to get energy attached to your Pokemon quickly, too. Most people run 3 or 4 Roseanne's Research in a deck, it's that good, since it also fetches Basic Pokemon for you.

Back