• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Error when deleting all example maps and starting anew

Years
    EDIT: I made a Huge mistake, I'm sorry! I meant Map003!

Yesterday, when I saw essentials, I decided to download it right away and take the dust from my ol' RPG Maker XP. After downloading the pack, and re-installing the program, I went to the "Tutorial" section of the wiki and read the "Creating a new game" one. As written, I deleted all the maps and since I wanted to do something different I downloaded some Tilesets (I'm actually using the ones on Insurgence's graphics folder) and started to use them right away, without deleting the tileset options already set in the databse, expanding it instead.

To my surprise I was able to edit the map for the Starting Town (the one that's supposed to mimic Pallet Town), but If I try to change the Tileset In Map003 I get the following error if playtesting:
    Exception: NoMethodError
    Game_Character:206:in `screen_z'
    Sprite_Character:155:in `update_or'
    PerspectiveTilemap:429:in `shadow_update'
    Shadow:179:in `update'
    Sprite_Character:39:in `perspectivetilemap_initialize'
    PerspectiveTilemap:423:in `shadow_initialize'
    Shadow:152:in `initialize'
    Spriteset_Map:163:in `new'
    Spriteset_Map:163:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
    Spriteset_Map:162:in `each'

Or this one if running the game through the .exe: https://i.imgur.com/ZgRiJcZ.png

Both of them only happen AFTER the Oak's introduction, when the player enters the Map003. If I copy the map and make the introduction follow up to the copy(Map004) there is no error and everything is smooth, however that leaves me with an unknown problem in the Map003. ):

My main language isn't English and sometimes I may struggle to express myself, so I'm sorry in advance!

Last edited:

Seth Pegasus

Creator of Pokemon: The Conspiracy.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2021
    I suggest you check where your character is loaded on the map since it could be warping into an empty space or inside a wall causing the error.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2015
    1. Never delete the default maps. They come with many easy to use copypaste events and script to ease your life a lot.
    2. Maybe an autotile missing? Create a new map and see if you can teleport there, maybe its something essential in the map you just warped into that is missing in your new files.

Years
    I suggest you check where your character is loaded on the map since it could be warping into an empty space or inside a wall causing the error.

I tried more than one place on MAP003 to start and everytime I get the same error. If I place those starting point on MAP004, the copy (with the exact same tileset) it doesn't give me the error and I can start normally.

(This is how I'm setting them, the firs image being to place the starting point after OAK's intro and the second one the tileset Image 1, Image 2)

1. Never delete the default maps. They come with many easy to use copypaste events and script to ease your life a lot.
    2. Maybe an autotile missing? Create a new map and see if you can teleport there, maybe its something essential in the map you just warped into that is missing in your new files.

Oh, since I saw many projects posted without them, and they have MAP001 and such, and since I have a back up folder, I though It was ok to delete them ):
    MAP004 is the exact same map as 003, the only difference being the 003 and 004. I can make it work on 004, but not on 003 \:
    Before deleting all the files, and default maps, I tried adding only the tilesets and editing the MAP002, but the error persisted. It's as if the MAP002 and the tileset aren't compatible or something (i don't know if that's even possible, since every other map is..)

Last edited:

Seth Pegasus

Creator of Pokemon: The Conspiracy.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2021
    So maybe you can just bypass the problem with your maps by not using the default essentials maps. Just have your character warp to the you new map. You can delete the default maps, but do so after you finish your game. As the other poster said, there are useful event scripts like the pokemart or pokemon center that you can just copy and paste to your new map instead of typing it all yourself. I deleted some of the default maps after I was done with them and don't have problems.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2015
    Are you using the INTRO map? Selecting sex and name? That is very important in order for the game to work properly.

Years
    Are you using the INTRO map? Selecting sex and name? That is very important in order for the game to work properly.

I am, this only happens after that scene ends \:

I went with Seth's idea and the game is going without a problem. Thank you everyone for your help :)

Back