• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen EV training

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I find Ev training tiring and boring im sorry to say but i just cant get into it. I mean you have to fight the same Pokemon over and over again what is the point it also feels like a cheat. How do you guys get the patience to do it and is there an easy way?

Rake

- The Relentless Oblivion -
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2009
    I've never actually tried to EV train, but I know it seems too hard...
    bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values <-- There are many ways to make it less painful.

Years
    Pretty much that is what EV training is :/. However, it'll be worth it in the end since a Pokemon will bring out its full potential in a stat. Also, it's not a "cheat". It's simply exploiting the games mechanics in your favor. If you find it tedious, there are ways to speed it up.

The vitamins, HP Up, Protein, etc, give 10 EVs in the stat they say they boost. However, each can only be used 10 times in a stat, so you can get up to 100 free EVs in a stat by using them.

The Macho Brace when held by a Pokemon doubles the EVs they gain. KOing a Bidoof while holding it would yield 2 HP EVs instead of the usual 1 HP EV.

The "Power" items sold at the Battle Frontier/Tower give 4 EVs in the stat they say they boost in addition to the EVs you normally gain. For example, KOing a Bidoof while holding a Power Bracer (attack) would yield 1 HP EV (Bidoof's) and 4 attack. KOing a Machop while holding it would yield 5 EVs in attack.

There is also the Pokerus which also doubles your EVs. However, it is very difficult to contract at first, even more so than shinies. On the other hand, it can be used with the items above to speed up EV training further. Holding a Macho Brace, having Pokerus, and KOing a Bidoof would yield 4 HP EVs. KOing a Machop while holding a Power Bracer would yield 10 attack EVs.

My personal prefered method is to use the vitamins first and then combine the Pokerus and Power items. That way, I would only have to KO about 15 Pokemon and EV training would only take about 30 minutes. Does this help?

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Pretty much that is what EV training is :/. However, it'll be worth it in the end since a Pokemon will bring out its full potential in a stat. Also, it's not a "cheat". It's simply exploiting the games mechanics in your favor. If you find it tedious, there are ways to speed it up.

The vitamins, HP Up, Protein, etc, give 10 EVs in the stat they say they boost. However, each can only be used 10 times in a stat, so you can get up to 100 free EVs in a stat by using them.

The Macho Brace when held by a Pokemon doubles the EVs they gain. KOing a Bidoof while holding it would yield 2 HP EVs instead of the usual 1 HP EV.

The "Power" items sold at the Battle Frontier/Tower give 4 EVs in the stat they say they boost in addition to the EVs you normally gain. For example, KOing a Bidoof while holding a Power Bracer (attack) would yield 1 HP EV (Bidoof's) and 4 attack. KOing a Machop while holding it would yield 5 EVs in attack.

There is also the Pokerus which also doubles your EVs. However, it is very difficult to contract at first, even more so than shinies. On the other hand, it can be used with the items above to speed up EV training further. Holding a Macho Brace, having Pokerus, and KOing a Bidoof would yield 4 HP EVs. KOing a Machop while holding a Power Bracer would yield 10 attack EVs.

My personal prefered method is to use the vitamins first and then combine the Pokerus and Power items. That way, I would only have to KO about 15 Pokemon and EV training would only take about 30 minutes. Does this help?

One important thing to add to this, Exp. Share shares EVs, as well. So you can have the Pokémon needing EVs holding that and standing back in your party and have your lead Pokémon holding the Macho Brace/Power items and KOing everything. It speeds the process up quite a bit.

EV training is also a great time to practice chaining with the PokéRadar. I chain Kricketunes for attack EVs.

Luther Olathes

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2009
    Only thing I can add is to keep a notebook with you and mark down the EVs as you gain them. That way you can keep and accurate track of how many EVs that pokemon has gained.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Only thing I can add is to keep a notebook with you and mark down the EVs as you gain them. That way you can keep and accurate track of how many EVs that pokemon has gained.

You can also use the Counter application on your Pokétch.

If you're training one type of EV at a time, that is.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    WOW thanks, also this is not related but were is good spot with grass pokemon so i can try to evolve my ponyta i cant seem to find one

Luther Olathes

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2009
    Near the pokemon mansion is another place. Roselia and Starvias, lv 18 at max, though.

Luther Olathes

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2009
    The mansion is south of Hearthorme City.

IV breeding is a pain in the arse. Boxes of useless pokemon dumped right into the ranch. Though, sometimes you get luck. Pratically all the Sneasels by the same parent had perfect speed. It was everything else that was hard to get ahold of.

Back