• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

everything ill need?

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    Ok iv just signed up after looking for awhile for a community of this kind (this is basicly exactly what i was looking for)

now that im here and signed up i'v decided to learn abit about coding my own pokemon game and everything like that so im quickly asking for a list of everything i will need.

im not sure what starter kit is best to and use if there is anything else i need could someone just post the things i need please.

while i wait ill be reading up on some basic's

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    The only complete starter kit is poccil's Pokémon Essentials, for RPG Maker XP.

Alternatively, you could try ROM hacking (editing an existing game); it's more limited than using something like RPG Maker, but you can use things missing from the starter kit such as contests and battle animations (as well as being able to play the game on a GBA or DS, if you have a flashcart).

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    is there a begginers tutorial? i can't even figure out how to make my own maps, i can't use the defaults in the starter kit that would be a total failure.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Try searching on Google for RPG Maker XP tutorials. Mapping in the starter kit is exactly the same as normal RMXP mapping, just with different tiles; same for eventing (except that you'll have to use script commands for Pokémon-related things).

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    hmm i think my starter might be missing something, i have a "editor" with a "visualeditor" option but it's basicly useless. whats the good starters link?

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • The only complete starter kit is poccil's Pokémon Essentials, for RPG Maker XP.

Alternatively, you could try ROM hacking (editing an existing game); it's more limited than using something like RPG Maker, but you can use things missing from the starter kit such as contests and battle animations (as well as being able to play the game on a GBA or DS, if you have a flashcart).

There is also PSP for RMXP, which is actually a little more complete, and a little less buggy imo. The only problem with it is that it is in French, which is not really a problem unless you cannot understand French.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    ok so i can't speak french or understand it as much as i'd like too. that video although correct the guy making it and talking in it is one of those "stuck up" computer programmers who jump around the issue's but never tackle them properly.

so ok, my main questions i need answearing. (since i got my first point across terribly ill number them)

1. Where is the map editor/maker? (this is not my region map maker, i want to know how to make "rooms" that my player can move around in and the gameplay can take place in)

2. Where is all general coding done? (im using picco's starter kit, and yet i can't find out where to do really anything, i'v added new traininers but idk how to actually add them to the rooms or make encounters. there really should be a basic tutorial stickied out there)

thats all i really need to know atm.

although im also starting to wonder why we don't have a online version out there... almost anyone could host one since the game size is so small, it wouldn't be like trying to host a RSPS or a AQWPS since those games are actually big and reasonably complex, as these pokemon games are small and although complex they wouldn't take much to host effectivly.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    ok so i can't speak french or understand it as much as i'd like too. that video although correct the guy making it and talking in it is one of those "stuck up" computer programmers who jump around the issue's but never tackle them properly.

so ok, my main questions i need answearing. (since i got my first point across terribly ill number them)

1. Where is the map editor/maker? (this is not my region map maker, i want to know how to make "rooms" that my player can move around in and the gameplay can take place in)

2. Where is all general coding done? (im using picco's starter kit, and yet i can't find out where to do really anything, i'v added new traininers but idk how to actually add them to the rooms or make encounters. there really should be a basic tutorial stickied out there)

thats all i really need to know atm.

although im also starting to wonder why we don't have a online version out there... almost anyone could host one since the game size is so small, it wouldn't be like trying to host a RSPS or a AQWPS since those games are actually big and reasonably complex, as these pokemon games are small and although complex they wouldn't take much to host effectivly.
    I want to ask you, are you using an actual language or a program like RPG Maker or Game Maker... Before you answer, what do you want to get out of making a game? Do you want "real world" experience and may be grow up to be a game programmer or other similar jobs? or just as a "hobby" and just doing it for the lulz?

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    righto now i have RPG Maker VX, RPG Maker Standard and RPG MakerXR (which currently doesn't work cose i did something) i simply atm, want to make my own version of a pokemon game as my curiosity raving "pokemon games" is peeked. I'v considered being a professional games programmer but i can't decide on a language to focus on, i constantly hear people ***** about Java when really it makes perfect sense to me, when i created the Delta source for RSPS it took me no time to create a unique and idiot proof source. although im not feeling the Java vibe atm so im here, atm i guess u could say im seeking lulz and perhaps maybe releasing a game or two. once i get used to this coding and how these games work and are created i had planned to take a detailed look into the "online" versions available.

i still require answear's to my questions as we continue to "jump around" my questions at hand with no straight answears

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    righto now i have RPG Maker VX, RPG Maker Standard and RPG MakerXR (which currently doesn't work cose i did something) i simply atm, want to make my own version of a pokemon game as my curiosity raving "pokemon games" is peeked. I'v considered being a professional games programmer but i can't decide on a language to focus on, i constantly hear people ***** about Java when really it makes perfect sense to me, when i created the Delta source for RSPS it took me no time to create a unique and idiot proof source. although im not feeling the Java vibe atm so im here, atm i guess u could say im seeking lulz and perhaps maybe releasing a game or two. once i get used to this coding and how these games work and are created i had planned to take a detailed look into the "online" versions available.

i still require answear's to my questions as we continue to "jump around" my questions at hand with no straight answears
    I will say this, you will not get much of actual programming experience from RPG Maker, so will do you no good if you are serious about programming, but if you are into designing, RPG Maker is a good choice, you focus on the actual storyline and other stuff than programming. If you want serious programming experience, I suggest picking up C++ and not think about game programming for a long time until you can write code in you dreams. Or if you want a easier "noob" friendly route, pick up on DarkBasic, its a very high level programming language focused on making games. Then you can move on to C++. The map editor thing is part of RPG Maker, its literally an All in One thing for RPG game making (hence the name).

Also once you learn how to program in C++ other languages are a breeze since a lot of languages are based off of C/C++. Once you know how to program, you can pick up on any language in less than a week

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    alright so, as for picco's starter kit, where is the RPG maker in that set? i'v heard it comes with a RPG maker styled editor designed more for pokemon game design. i really need a tutorial on the basic's of adding new rooms (maps) and all that sort of stuff.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    alright so, as for picco's starter kit, where is the RPG maker in that set? i'v heard it comes with a RPG maker styled editor designed more for pokemon game design. i really need a tutorial on the basic's of adding new rooms (maps) and all that sort of stuff.
    That, I can not help you with, I have not used RPG Maker before, and I will have no plans on ever doing so, but I can assume it comes with a read me or a manual?

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    im not sure, it came with nothing useful and without proper tutorials it seems hopeless for someone to come in and learn from trying with this sort of game creation.

Sources are needed in this community, something basic to start off with and then tutorials on changing basic's so players can all start with the same base and then change it to their will.

Years
  • Without RPG Maker XP you can not edit the maps. You will need to open the file called Game.rxproj with RMXP. From there you will see the tutorial maps with npc's for everyday situations in a pokemon game. If you have problems from there with mapping, just hit up youtube, there are thousands of videos on there. Search for "RMXP Mapping" brings up nearly 400 videos itself.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    Damian that is the kind of answear i was looking for, let me try this

except installing my RPG XP seems to encounter a problem i keep getting the message "failed to obtain a trail serial number from the ntitles server" how can i fix this?

this occurs when i open RPG Maker XP

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    thanks again damien, u should really write some "begginer guides" you knew how to answear my questions with good resources and easy to understand explanation lol

ok so once i'v created maps, where do i go to add them into the sequence of gameplay and how i can edit pokemon encounters and trainers'

Edit- ok i'v figured out basic events, i still don't know how to set random encounters in grass tho.

also how do i get my maps to merge when i play? say test map 1 and 2 i want them to link instead of having to use a door or event

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    yeah i'v figured out the "teleport" event but i want my tiles to "merge" like one continuous map

i also need to know how to set up my long grass so that pokemon appear

Last edited:
    Back