• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolve Sooner or Later?

Years
  • I have always wondered, is it better to evolve your Pokemon right when they can? Or to wait until later? I know some Pokemon are best to evolve right away to get specific moves, but what about stats? An example would be Turtwig, he loses a lot of Speed when he evolves into Grotle, so would it be better to evolve later and raise the Speed to a certain point and then evolve? Or does it not work that way?

Last edited:

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
  • It really depends on the pokemon. Some can only learn certain moves at lower stages so if you want the move, you should delay evolution. And as for stats, evolution usually doesnt' hinder stat grwoth (Grotle actually has 5 more points in base speed than Turtwig). But it's your choice regardless, so just do what you think is right.

xLilith

is here. Sheesh.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2009
    I agree with Kokuo. I mean, you could get an Eevee and evolve it in to an Umbreon, but whatever level it is you evolve it, it will still have the regular base stat for that level.

BeatTheSpecialStage

is gay for Ritchie
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2009
    Later for most pokemon. Most pokemon learn better moves earlier in their earlier forms. Then again, some pokemon learn moves only by evolution, so if you're looking for a perfect moveset, you've got to consider that. Kokuo may have already mentioned this, but I didn't read it. Sorry.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • I evolve Pokemon, via level up, as soon as I can... simply because I've never been given a reason not to.
    When it comes to Stone evolutions, I calculate which level would be best for the Pokemon.
    Happiness evolutions... I let those happen on their own.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2009
    Psh, it's a trick question, you should never evolve! After all, they are always cuter when they are smaller. D:

But cha, it is based on the moveset you want. As far as I'm concerned, theres no reason to evolve later in terms of stats. Some pokes can learn certain moves faster than they would at a high evolution.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2009
    its best to just evolve in my opinion because any way its going to loose all the stats if it has to

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I normally stop my pokemon in the stage that I think looks coolest, whether it's stronger or not. Although I am happier with most of my pokemon because of that, it did cause a bit of a problem...

I really screwed up with my Staravia without realizing it... I got so used to not letting my Pokemon evolve that, even though I wanted to evolve to Staraptor right away to learn Close Combat, I accidentally cancelled the evolution without thinking about it. So now there's no way for me to ever learn that move, and Staraptor will never be the pokemon it was meant to be.

ISa56

-Soul Silver? HECK YES!
    Years
  • It depends. Certain Pokemon do have higher stats when they evolve, but they also require more experence points to level up and they also may not learn moves that they would have in earlier stages. So....it's your choice!

TeirusuFX

-ω-
    Years
  • In the beginning, I always evolve the Pokemon as soon as I can

But after I beat the Elite Four and gotten used to it, I use it as training grounds to get better moves off the older evolutions

LoaferBoyzX

Ozzy

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2010
    Yup Yup yup.

Some pokemon dont learn moves, So they have to learn them from eggs, or from the previous evolution, Such as togekiss (it doesnt learn any moves)

So I suggest looking up the pokemon and look at all the evolutions stats/Skills

It can help alot :D

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

Batmans Playtoy

To the Batmobile!
    Years
  • In the beginning, I always evolve the Pokemon as soon as I can

But after I beat the Elite Four and gotten used to it, I use it as training grounds to get better moves off the older evolutions

LoaferBoyzX

This is what I usually do.
    If your lucky enough to have eggs with say the starters then you don't really have to worry because you pretty much have an unlimited supply of them.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Well, I prefer later, especially for starters, in ShinyGold, I started with a Totodile, beat the E4 with a Totodile, and am going strong with a Totodile, and their usually cuter and sometimes cooler and have better move capabilities when their not evolved(I'm looking at you Piplup).

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I always leave evolution until the Pokémon learns its strongest move/the moves I want it to learn. For example on Gold, if I leave Cyndaquil as it is until Lv 46 then learn it Flamethrower and let it evolve into Quilava, I can have a Lv 47 Typhlosion with that move instead of a Lv 47 Typhlosion that's only just learnt Swift and has to wait another 13 levels until it learns Flamethrower which would be the case if i'd evolved Cyndaquil and Quilava straight away. It's just a personal preference of mine that i've always done since the RBY days but I can see the pros and cons of both evolving sooner and evolving later.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
  • I've always thought it was more fun to wait. They learn moves sooner, and get stronger so that when you do evolve them, they're extra EV'd.

Back