• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Experiences Recount

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • I'm still reminded at some point when I'm getting my first ever Wi-Fi Mystery Gift event when I played Pokémon White, even though getting the Wi-Fi in my DS Lite was pretty hard. There's Liberty Pass inside of it. So I stormed to the Castelia City, where I find a captain who recognizes the Pass and allowed me to go to Liberty Garden. The problem is... the place was invaded by Team Plasma, that I managed to fight them until the end, to the point where I finally encountered Victini for the first time.

When I battled Victini for the first time, I accidentally KO'ed it to my dismay, because I didn't meant to do that. Thank goodness that I can counter it once more, so I'm up for the second round, where I tried to be careful not to take down Victini again. So, I managed to be careful enough when it comes to lowering its HP, and decided to throw several Pokéballs, but it doesn't work at all. Then I thought, since the battle is getting so long, why not throwing Timer Ball this time?

To my surprise, on a few times I throw a Timer Ball, suddenly I threw so hard that the Timer Ball only shakes once, and finally, I managed to get Victini at last, but I was wondering if the game was broken or something since I heard the loud fling noise on the last throw, until I looked it up and finding out that it's the new Critical Capture mechanic. I have no idea my Victini will be my first Critical Capture ever, and that makes it even much more special. It's been named Victi-Ace, and it's currently on the Gen VI games ever since.

Years
  • Ah yes, my 19th birthday... when I was so ecstatic with unboxing my Black Version.

5th Gen holds significance to me in many ways, with B/W being the first games of a new generation that I actively followed the news and updates to (HG/SS was the first I followed news of, but it wasn't a new generation) and seeing every screenshot made me feel hyped to see the new approach the games were taking.

To me, B/W was the game of the two that held more memories with me, because of my love of the darker plot and my current Pokemon collection on that game, but that's not to say I enjoyed B2/W2 any less. The sequels did have a ton of postgame content, probably among the best of the series.

I loved the characters and the unique Pokemon of these games, and the soundtrack always touches me. Oh, and my fave Pokemon coming from this generation as well is what makes 5th Gen my fave generation of all time, and this October will be marking my 5th anniversary of getting Black, so it's very special.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    When I got Pokemon Black for Christmas, I was so happy, I played constantly. And completed it quickly. The funny part is, is that I was able to catch Reshiram using only one Ultra ball and had only 40 hp gone.....first try too^_^

Years
  • Man, there's a lot that I could say about these games. Black version was my first Pokemon game. It was magical, I got hooked and took my dsi with me wherever I went so I could play. Me and my older sister ended up having a contest to see who could complete the Unova Pokedex first. I won by 1 day, and 1 Pokemon. WHEW! It was intense. {XD} A couple of my friends were into Pokemon too and it was the coolest thing ever to be able to trade and battle with them.

It makes me a little sad thinking about it, my sister doesn't play anymore and neither do my old friends. But what keeps me going is finding people like you guys. In highschool, not many people play Pokemon anymore. So when you find someone who does, it's a great feeling, an instant connection that the two of you can share. And that's what I love about Pokemon. That's what it's all about.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Man, there's a lot that I could say about these games. Black version was my first Pokemon game. It was magical, I got hooked and took my dsi with me wherever I went so I could play. Me and my older sister ended up having a contest to see who could complete the Unova Pokedex first. I won by 1 day, and 1 Pokemon. WHEW! It was intense. {XD} A couple of my friends were into Pokemon too and it was the coolest thing ever to be able to trade and battle with them.

It makes me a little sad thinking about it, my sister doesn't play anymore and neither do my old friends. But what keeps me going is finding people like you guys. In highschool, not many people play Pokemon anymore. So when you find someone who does, it's a great feeling, an instant connection that the two of you can share. And that's what I love about Pokemon. That's what it's all about.

yeah, most people don't play pokemon anymore.....but i'm one of those that does!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2017
    Actually, Pokemon White was my very first Pokemon game. I still have clear memories of my first run-through of White and this was when I was 14! I chose Oshawott and named him Otto. Heck, I still remember some of the pokemon that I caught. I had a Musharna named Mary Jane (don't ask), an Unfezant named Jetta, I named my Zekrom Shadow, my Kyurem's name was Snowball, a Crobat that my friend traded, and my beloved Raticate, Cricket. I trained them until they were at least level 90. (Then I leveled them up to 100 with rare candies I obtainted thanks to my Action Replay. I have a lot of regrets) It took me a whole month to defeat the Elite 4, but 30 minutes to defeat N and Ghetsis. I didn't like the fact that you could only catch previous-gen pokemon in the post-game.

As for Black 2, I remember being jealous of everyone who had it before me because my parents made me wait until my birthday to get it (mainly for financial reasons). When I finally got it, I fell in love with it immediately. I thought the plot was more interesting and I really liked that they added previous-gen pokemon. I remember playing Black 2 for 6 hours straight on a school night.

I missed out on a lot of Wifi features. I could only use it at my friend's house since I STILL had my DS Lite. I've only been in the Dream World twice and I couldn't do much in there anyway because they had a time limit. The GTS was an utter nightmare. :/ When I finally got my 3DS, the Wifi was already in the process of shutting down.

I've restarted both Black 2 and White several times and I get a kick out of both of them. I'm currently replaying White for nostalgic reasons.

(I'm sorry about my poor typing skills. My grammer skills are destroyed.)

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • Pokemon Black version was the first game I ever actually bought myself, and as such it meant a whole lot more to me than the others. I remember playing the dream world and how unique that experience was compared to everything else we had had prior. I remember decorating my little dream house with dolls of all my favourite pokemon, and growing berries, and finding special pokemon in the dream zones... Good times.

Years
  • Although Gen V wasn't my favourite generation I do have some great memories from the games. Black 2 was the first game where I started my tradition of beating a new pokemon game in one sitting. I also remember getting quite frustrated with Latios in Black 2 as well as I had to reset the game 3 times before I eventually caught it.

Years
  • Oh man oh man where do I begin talking about generation V. So much happened, so much hype around getting it. Getting a box with game art along with the game itself. Although my memories of playing this game were certainly fewer and far between, I think I enjoyed battling in this game far more than any of the others. By this time I had no life, and was practically an expert on Pokemon. Knew every Pokemon's type, learnset, when and how it evolves If you had a question I could likely answer it immediately. I also planned on filling information in on bulbapedia about the new Pokemon since there wasn't a whole lot of information about them before the games release. But I didn't end up doing it since I was too busy playing the game.

With my purchase of white, I bought pokemon black for my best friend (his first pokemon game since I let him borrow leafgreen) so that we could play and trade. It didn't happen very often since we lived about 3 hours away and money was tight for both families. But regardless, it ended up being one incredibly exhilarating experience.
    Just knowing all type matchups and all pokemons types made me feel powerful, but after managing to never faint once throughout my entire journey? It was as if I was the most powerful trainer in the world, I even got the maximum score in the battle test.

It was all thanks to the team I put together using all my knowledge and wit. As for the battle test and second battle with the elite four, I transferred a few pokemon from my ds games and had completed over half of the pokedex. As well as making it possible to form my ultimate team. The lineup was Gallade, (One I used in my first platinum playthough) Togekiss, Ferrothorn, Hydriegon, Golurk, and Crobat (from a playthough of leafgreen) I was even able to beat my best friend at the game who is very good at strategy games. I even managed to beat other experts with some very close calls.

I was unstoppable in my mind. But then I learned of evs and ivs. At was at this point I was angry. I had never before been so angry at a game, learning that some pokemon were just straight up better than others naturally (i.e hydriegon>marowak) fueled with rage and early teen hormones, I was determined to fix the "problem" with my team. Despite sentimental value for gallade and crobat, they would have to go. Their stats were not at their maximum potential, they would be replaced. Determined to max their stats to their full potential, I bought an action replay and got a code online to max any pokemons ivs and evs. It was all I could think about, Working had breeding over and over until they had favorable natures, grinding nonstop until they were at lv 100 so that nobody could ever beat me. And, Nobody ever did. Because I cheated. The endeavor took so long that before eventually giving the game to my younger sister to play, my final playtime was 979:56 hours.

After black 2 and white 2 came out I bought black 2, while my friend got white 2. I put all my pokemon from the old game to the new one after beating the elite four and I realized that I had in one fell swoop, sucked out all the fun of pokemon, because I was driven by my desire to win, even to the point of cheating. After I'd done it all in black 2, completed the pokedex, basically cheating the game left and right after a legitimate completion of the pokedex out of boredom, I had finally felt burnt out. Done. There was nothing left for me in this world. It was time to move on to other things. And almost as fast as I entered the world of pokemon, I left quietly. Destroying my DS as a final goodbye. It would be until the release of pokemon omega ruby, that I finally got back into the world of pokemon. With a naive outlook as well. It was time to invest myself into the world of pokemon.

This particular story is somewhat sad for me, but don't get me wrong I still think that pokemon white, black, and their sequels are some of the best pokemon games ever made, even if they have a few flaws. Tales of triumph aside, these were the most memorable moments for me, in gen V.

Back