• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: 'Facebook Chat' style chat?

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
  • I like the idea, however, I imagine that it might add a considerable amount to the server load, and on a server that is already crazy busy, I don't think its a good idea.

A friend has a small website with a similar chat and his site is so slow now.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • @Abnegation
    I GOT BANNED FROM JAVACHAT CUZ LUKE DIDNT WANT ME THERE

No, pretty sure he banned you from there for a legit reason.

Yep. Tried this too, and I must say, it's SO SLOOOW, and very unatractive... Sorry you guys, but I really do not like it!

Have to agree with this, actually. I'm unable to use the Javachat because it's slow and gives me a lag, even did this with my old, faster connection.

I have to be honest, a feature like that would put a big damper on my PC experience. It's a great addition to sites like Facebook where the emphasis is on keeping in touch with friends, and though PC is pretty similar in that regard, it's still a forum. It's primarily for sharing opinions and receiving feedback, not for real-time chatting. That's where clients like AIM, MSN, etc. come into play, and if I'm not mistaken many members already keep in touch with their PC friends via those clients.

Besides, PC already has quite a few modes of communication, all of which I'm perfectly content with. An ever-present chatbar would definitely not be worth the troubles it would come with. That being said, my computer (and I'm sure many others) would hate it like poison and probably slow considerably. So... that's a no from me.

I have to agree with this. In my book, PC > Facebook. I constantly get annoyed with FB because I can't navigate it to save my life and it's easier to bug people on FB with the IM system. That's another story though, but I'm gonna have to stamp a no on the Facebook style PC. If you want Facebook, go to Facebook.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Yep. Tried this too, and I must say, it's SO SLOOOW, and very unatractive... Sorry you guys, but I really do not like it!

1) More the reason to encourage people to join, to make it more quick, this is also why you should just keep a tab open.

2) For all those who think it's ugly can either download mIRC, or use www.Mibbit.com, it's just that, having this chat on the screen really would put pressure on the server. I'll discuss it with Steve if he doesn't pop in here, but I think that would be our main issue.

Besides, we have so many resources and alternatives; I don't see why we need more, but personal preference is just over powering my opinion possibly.

In fact, my main concern would be that people could easily distribute ROM links and the like through the chat, as well as other rule bypassing. I feel that it could lead to people insulting others in an un-moderated chat (contacts or not), and we need to be able to moderate all aspects of the board or else complaints could come piling in.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • For all intents and purposes, PC is a social networking site. XD There IS a chat, there's picture comments, there's profile comments, there's friend lists, and a huge forum to chat on. Not to mention that you can also extremely customize your profiles, change the site's theme, etc. >__> PC is in no way just a forum, not anymore at least.
    I agree that it is in no way "just" a forum. It has a lot of nice features that promote self-expression and socializing, which is something I really appreciate about this place and one reason why I choose to spend my time here rather than other forums. But IMO I think we have to remember that it is still a forum at heart , and even if it could support something like this it was probably never meant to. Of course, I could be wrong; one thing I've learned about this place is that it tends to defy expectations, something I've really grown to love about it.

But anyway. Since it seems like it's becoming a popular suggestion, my only request is that if a chatbar IS installed, that it can be toggled on and off for those of us who wouldn't use it/couldn't handle it on every single page.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019

No. That's a stupid idea :(

That's were you're wrong. It might actually be a bit more convenient. The IRC server isn't exactly a PC server thing, I think. The problem would be the difficulty of coding it and the load time too. But maybe it can be pulled off.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Have to agree with this, actually. I'm unable to use the Javachat because it's slow and gives me a lag, even did this with my old, faster connection.

That sounds more like it could be a problem with using the Java applet in a web browser as opposed to a dedicated IRC client.

That's were you're wrong. It might actually be a bit more convenient. The IRC server isn't exactly a PC server thing, I think. The problem would be the difficulty of coding it and the load time too. But maybe it can be pulled off.

I feel that it would require a lot of work and cause some potential processing overhead issues as opposed to simply keeping a separate tab open to check on occasionaly.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Sereously, all they need to do is to improve the VM system...

There's nothing wrong with the VM system. It's kind enough to tell you when someone says something, wanting it to appear in a popup is ridiculous for such a minor part of the forum.

Seriously, some of you should just add PC people on Facebook or MSN or whatever. It's a forum and it's got too much extra stuff as it is.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • That's were you're wrong. It might actually be a bit more convenient. The IRC server isn't exactly a PC server thing, I think. The problem would be the difficulty of coding it and the load time too. But maybe it can be pulled off.
    ..YOU CAN BE WRONG FOR HAVING ANOTHER OPINION?

Oh my god, this is like..the first time I tasted chocolate!

This is a horrible idea. Facebook chat angers me. That's just because I don't like the way it works or looks. So..depending on OPINIONS people might like the idea. :)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • As for my opinion, I would say... if anything like a Facebook chat thing on the Main Page was inplemented, I'm sure it probably would cause some downtime to PC's server, like what was stated earlier. Even if it was for just embedding it to the index of the forum. If there's too much stuff to process... it can cause downtime.

So I reckon, that it should be left as it is today. But it was a good suggestion, but PC already has an IRC which covers it. Oh to be honest... there's also a dead xat chat called "PokeCommunity". If anyone is not familiar with xat, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know about it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I don't know why anyone wants anything like Facebook chat here on PC. Do none of you use it? It's the most horrible and unreliable form of chat I've ever used. That should be enough of a reason to not implement such a thing.

If you need more, there's the fact that there are plenty of other alternatives. VM and PM are there, and if there is someone you always always always want to talk to you could use WLM, Google Talk, AIM etc., or for a group chat thing, use the IRC/Javachat that has been brought up so many times.

I will particularly promote the Javachat, because it has been a bit sad lately, so more people would be great. That said, there is a certain etiquette to the place, but as long as you aren't annoying, we all should get along fine.

Word of warning though: as I said, it's been quite sad lately, so it'll probably be pretty quiet when you join. Patience is a virtue my friends, so just say hi and someone might say hi back, but you're welcome to talk to me - just mention my name in the channel (I'm usually under Ray, though sometimes Amachi). Just don't spam.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Facebook chat is horrible. I mean, the concept is good, but it's executed about as well as communism in China. It lags when my internet has no problem and it's going to kill PC's rather weak server.

Back