• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Failmon- Dragonite's Gathering

dragonite149

I am not male
Years
  • As the title says, my fail fakemon reside here! I know nothing about Magic- The Gathering, I just wanted a cool, unique title.

Notice: Don't critique Meeruption flame, I'm changing it.

Meeruption, a Fire Type evolution

???->Meeruption

Hydrafant, a Water Type evolution

???->Hydrafant

Spirikid, a Ghost/Dark Type pre-evolution of Spiritomb

Spirikid->???->Spiritomb

Flowevil, a Grass Type

Flowevil

Notes
    I know that Spirikid and Flowevil are pillow-shaded, and that's the way they're meant to be. The light is supposed to come from above and in-front of them. And they are facing forward because the opponent is straight in front of them, not at a diagonal to them.

Also, I know that Hydrafant and Meerution are facing the wrong way. They're supposed to face that way. They will not have backsprites, because they will just be flipped if they are on your side. Also, the player is at the left of the battlefield, and the pokemon is on the right.

If you can suggest a better name for any Fakemon here tell me. If it's better, I'll rename them.

And when I make more Fakemon, I'll put them here!

Attachments

• Failmon- Dragonite's Gathering
      Meeruption.png
      840 bytes · Views: 167
      Hydrafant.png
      1.1 KB · Views: 168
      Spirikid.png
      567 bytes · Views: 167
      Flowevil.png
      1 KB · Views: 167
    Last edited:
    Years

Meeruption
    Okay, to begin with, the sprite is not correctly oriented, and is facing the left, whereas official Pokémon sprites generally face the bottom-left, or their bodies are poised in such an angle. This sprite is almost completely profile, which is not desirable when striving to emulate the Pokémon art style.

The shading, unfortunately, does not give the effect of a third dimension and definitely requires to be more curved. The lightsource of Pokémon sprites is always the top-left, and yet your sprites do not seem to emulate this effectively...at all.

The use of selective outlining, or selout, is not good at all. There is lacking black outline where black should be, and it is just all over the place. The flame is very cartoony, is symmetrical, has an outline (which is not canon according to all Pokémon sprites with fire:
    .) The ears and arms have certainly been copied-and-pasted, and lack any form of effective shading to give the illusion of a third dimension.

The shape of the body is lacking, and I think you should certainly reference some real-life examples of meerkats to get a clearer idea of the anatomy that they have. The lines are very jagged in places, and the tail looks very rigid. The mouth makes no sense, and I'm pretty certain that meerkats have teeth. The nose's outline makes no sense, and the eye is very generic.

The design seems very uninspired, the shape gives off the feeling of a ghost type more than a fire type and the spriting is just not good, unfortunately.

Hydrafant
    I'm afraid Hydrafant (I assume you were combining hydro and elephant, in which case I think you should name it Hydrofant, or perhaps even Hydrophant. Anyway, back to the pixel art-related critisism...) is no improvement to Meeruption. It still needs rounded shading, the tail is still rigid and doesn't comply to real elephants' anatomical structure, the ears do not emulate any kind of real-life elephants' ears, nor African or Indian, or any other type of elephant, and shouldn't seamlessly flow into each other like they do.

The outlines are very jagged and rigid in some places, the trunk's "base," for want of a better word, does not flow properly, and the colour scheme requires more contrast, as the blue and green aren't very interesting or easy to differentiate, really. The tail is really jagged.

Spirikid

Probably your best sprite, however still lacking in many areas, which is quite overwhelming, considering how small it is. In fact, it is too small, by any standards of Pokémon sprites.

The flowy part at the top of the sprite could certainly flow into the main part of the body a lot better, and there are quite a few issues with the keystone base - for one, it is not curved at [our] the left, and the bottom would not rest on the ground properly - the center of the keystone should be the lowest part of the body, not the left (or right, for that matter).

The shading is pretty much non-existent on the "gas" part of the sprite, and, if I'm not mistaken, the green parts are supposed to be circles, not curved oblongs, though I suppose it's your concept (which, by the way, just seems to be an over-shrinked Spiritomb with a little flowy thing on it's "head" :/).

As for Flowevil, I'm not even going to critisise it - it's just a rushed, flip-rotated, pillow shaded bunch of badly-coloured, jagged circles with a generic face and no real features of a flower - the petals don't even follow the way most would, and the sprite lacks any form of stem, etc..

Last edited:

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
  • @Spherical Ice
    Thanks for the CnC, but did you read the notes at all? I'm not trying to make offical looking sprites, I'm spriting for fun. But I might as well try to make them look offical though. Even though I suck at making things face the bottom left. I'll delete Flowevil and replace it with something better, as well as redoing all the other sprites. Also, I'll make Meeruption a Ghost Type, and rename it Phanmeer.
    *Goes to edit*

Also, I'll start spriting 4th Gen style.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013

Take a look at the sprites of the Charmander/Chimchar families to see how a small flame is usually represented in sprites - for one you shouldn't outline a flame. On the subject of outlines, I don't know if you were going for basic anti-aliasing or if you just missed spots of black next to dark red lines. The palette itself can do with fixing up - the brightest red shade is much too saturated when put next to the other two shades.

Here you've barely done any noticeable outline colouring at all - even on the areas which are lit. On the lines you have coloured, you've given a strange choice of dark crimson? The toes are all the same colour, even on the feet that are standing in shadow.

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years

Take a look at the sprites of the Charmander/Chimchar families to see how a small flame is usually represented in sprites - for one you shouldn't outline a flame. On the subject of outlines, I don't know if you were going for basic anti-aliasing or if you just missed spots of black next to dark red lines. The palette itself can do with fixing up - the brightest red shade is much too saturated when put next to the other two shades.

Here you've barely done any noticeable outline colouring at all - even on the areas which are lit. On the lines you have coloured, you've given a strange choice of dark crimson? The toes are all the same colour, even on the feet that are standing in shadow.
    Again, thanks for the CnC. After I change Meeruption into Phanmeer, I'll change Hydrofant and add some shading. I'll also change Phanmeer's pallette (The only reason it sucks is cos I made it myself. I'll take the pallette from other 'mon next time)

(I'm sticking with Hydrofant; who says names have to be spelled right? *Glances at Seel*)

Back