• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fakemon Art *suggestions wanted*

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    Me and my fiance are making our own fakemon just because we can and I figured I'd show the drawings here. These are my drawings and he's going to hopefully sprite them. Also, most of them do not have names or even colors so if you guys want to suggest anything go right ahead. I'm open to any suggestions at this point. :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks! My fiance thinks the kangaroo is ridiculous looking but I like him. My favorite is the shrimp pokemon. He's adorable!
    Any suggestions on names though?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Overall they're alright, but you seem to be using reference too much. The porcupine looks almost like typholsion, for example. The dragon is like charmander, the albatross like articuno, etc. The only non-generic or original ones I sorta see are the kangaroo and the koala..

I'd say.. don't reference pokemon. Try being more creative. Then post some more here and you'll probably see a lot of improvement with design. Give it a shot. I'm sure you can do some stuff that'll blow everyone out of the water!

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    The only reason why I'm using reference pokemon is so the spriting is easier. I would definitely be using different design for most of them if it wasn't for the planned spriting.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • The only reason why I'm using reference pokemon is so the spriting is easier. I would definitely be using different design for most of them if it wasn't for the planned spriting.

Egh.. to be a good spriter means you need to know the foundations of form and lighting. If you're just going to be ripping off a design then what's the point in asking for suggestions or trying to improve your art skills? You should challenge yourself and try to make sprites from scratch.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I asked for suggestions on color and names mostly, not suggestions on my art style. I have a completely different art style compared to this so even trying to copy Sugimori was a big step. Plus I hate to draw animals and would much rather draw humans.
    As for spriting, that's something my fiance hasn't done in several years and needs some warm-ups. These are warm-ups until we get into the groove of things. Or at least when we have free time.

Years
  • colors is the fire tiger a pure fire pokemon or does he/she have a second type? Same with the kangaroo is it pure grass?

Also if suggestions on fakemon designs maybe a new eevee type like a rabbit or squirrel maybe monkey or something. I looks forward to seeing more and your style improving :D

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Fire Tiger looked awesome. :D

Gotta agree with Kura, though. Make a more different approach on your style and don't just use Pokemon for reference. Kraine's design here, for example, doesn't give a crap about following Pokemon's style.

However, this is just a suggestion. It is up to you to either use your own style or Pokemon-esque style. :D

Also, for coloring, just follow the type. For example, a pure Fire-type Pokemon would have colors around the zone of red and orange, et cetera.

InappropriateGoat

The Goldfish Lord
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2011
    I like! I've been thinking of doing some fakemon :P
    A suggestion would be a Goat Pokémon. I love goats xDD Plus, there isn't one yet D: Maybe water type? Or electric? Not sure on typing :P Just a suggestion ^^

Dark: Random Guy

Professional Coin Flipper
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2011
    I have to admit i liked these. Of course the points mentioned above i did also notice too. Still, i can handle making fakemon with you if you'd like help with more creative ones. (i can help both design and sprite-wise since they are both specialties of mine)

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I would LOVE ideas. I have a break coming up in school so once finals are over then I can draw some more. The shrimp Pokemon is more of my style, I must admit. I absolutely adore cute things and hence draw them. Most of these are way out of my comfort style (hence why I'm seeing proportion issues and weird eyes >.<)

Working on redraws for kiwi evo chain, porcupine, koala, starters and fire tiger pre-evo. I'm glad someone likes the koala, I absolutely despise him and I like the idea of my ant Pokemon but it looks off for some reason...

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I would greatly suggest looking more at the animals than at Pokemon. For example, the albatross Pokemon looks nothing like an albatross, and that's a bad thing when that comment's coming from such an avid bird lover such as myself.

Here's a picture of an albatross so you can compare:
    Spoiler:

For more ideas? Dude, just pick up a field guide at a library. Especially a bird field guide - there's so many really fascinating creatures you'll find that you probably wouldn't even know about otherwise...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    My problem is that I'm so BUSY all the time. =___= Between work and moving and taking care of my daughter and school, I feel like all creativity just gets sucked right out of me.
    And I used to work at a zoo so you would think I would have plenty of ideas, right? I have a goat pokemon idea I'm working on now. And a secretary bird Pokemon would be AMAZING (for me anyways)
    I also like ideas coming from other people so I know what people would like to see.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2010
    nice bro

pretty good, i like what you did there, i think these could be real n stuff

Years
  • The shrimp and hermit Pokemon are so cute! (This coming from someone who normally hates shrimps...) I also really like Lycanine. It reminds me of a Growlithe crossed with a Bulbasaur, haha... very cute. It'd be cool to see them in colour.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • My problem is that I'm so BUSY all the time. =___= Between work and moving and taking care of my daughter and school, I feel like all creativity just gets sucked right out of me.
    And I used to work at a zoo so you would think I would have plenty of ideas, right? I have a goat pokemon idea I'm working on now. And a secretary bird Pokemon would be AMAZING (for me anyways)
    I also like ideas coming from other people so I know what people would like to see.
    No wonder your albatross is off. You can't get those at zoos lol

A secretary bird Pokemon is long overdue. Please, do draw when you have the time :3

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    Yeah, tell me about it. I'm struggling on Legendary ideas because I want birds for my legendaries but my fiance wants psychic legendaries and it's just a constant struggle.
    I'm not too proud of the starters but I'm glad someone like Lycanine. Oracowl is my favorite. Scildra is getting a complete re-draw. Wings are too pointy, too lizardy and just plain old not cute enough for me. Lycanine is getting a touch up on proportions but like I said, I have finals to work on and I'm moving at the end of this month so, it might be a while but the re-drawn sketches are looking better.
    Especially that albatross. Doesn't have a mohawk and a lot sleeker. And I've decided not to re-draw the fire tiger evo line because it has grown on me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2012
    heres a sugestion for a fakemon...

an evolution for sudowoodo, so it finaly has a new form and not a useless baby version.

Back