• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Well, I have some plans for a new fanfiction so I have something to do here. Let me warn you right now: if you're one of those tomboys or muscleheads who like action and adventures, I suggest not checking out this fanfic when I put it up...except for Frosty who has to review it when I PM him (perhaps after the first two or three chapters), whether he's a macho man or not! *evil witch-like cackle*

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    @ Hoenn Mirror World (ch.6 - 7)

-definitely suffers "Golden Sun Syndrome." o.o; Wonder if there's a more appropriate name for those who haven't played Golden Sun... Either way, there's *huge* problems if all of your characters got identical personalities, as if it's those dreaded Jhoto episodes... huge *huge* problem ;o; Mariah and Mirror Mariah having close to identical identities is acceptible because they're the mirrors of each other anyway (Either way though, Mariah adopts to the new world too easily to be able to cope with all that is happening so quickly too), but the other two... really no excuse for them. I can't stress what a huge problem it is to end up having your whole main party being like Max in the Pokemon anime now (the filler character who do nothing and has nothing and acts like nothing)

-scriptfic relies on tone to reflect characterization... in this case all the tone of the 4 girls are identical. Ties in with the first problem... cover up the names of who is saying what line, and you honestly cannot tell who is saying what unless physical descriptions are mentioned... Cascadia got the best out of all so far being a former aqua sorceress, which was interesting until readers realize that this trait didn't seem to make her different from the other girls...

-Mirror Elders are all basically helpless people of this world whose best Pokemon shall be mutated to an evil form every episode o.o; With such predictability, you will soon get a "filler episode" feeling as you will pretty much safely predict what those chapters will be like... try to find the shards, meet the mirror elder of that place, then meet the mirror elder (Wattson is a bit better with a battle in this stage), mirror elder's Pokemon transformed to an "evil" form then Mariah's party beat up the evil mutant, and the evil mutant transform back to its original form... >>;

-have to watch out for consistancy... for example, Magneton's evil form title... sometimes it's in caps, but sometimes not...

-the fanfic seems to have a very strong tendency to say that "things happen because it happened." Scenes such as teaching Secret Power just seemed to happen... readers don't know when it happened, nor do they know how it happened... it just happened... o.o; really not the most interesting way to explain something that happened. Another example is how the narrator suddenly throws the fact at us that Archie got a hold of Cascadia, and technically we have no idea who this Archie is too (always assume that your reader is ignorant of anything about plot, except what a Pokemon is, how the Pokemon world function and what is Pokemon battling). However, the dream sequence is a good start to finally kick in some differences among the characters.

-there are some cases where the sentence is really unnecessarily long... O.o; so watch out for diction and syntax

-Magneton probably wins best character so far in this fanfic =p It actually has a tone of voice of its own.

Good Points
    -start of characterization
    -original concepts
    -not much grammar mistakes
    -increased readability since last review

Focuses to Improve On
    -*TONE*
    -further characterization (can never use too little of that)
    -diction and syntax

Grammar Basics: 9/10
    Characterization: 10/20
    Coherence/Readability: 10/10
    Tone/Structure: 7/20
    Diction: 12/20
    Effort/Originality: 17/20
    Lit. Device bonus: +0

Total: 65

Probably too late to edit the later chapters of HMW, but hopefully these changes can be applied to the version of HMW that's being rewritten right now ^^

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    *waves arms like crazy* NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

This can't be happening! I can't be getting a 65! 71, I can cope with (to an extent). 65 is abmysal...

How can I, someone who managed to win Best Author at PE2K how-many-times in a row, get a score that low?

Sorry for going ballistic, but I was expecting at least a 75.

Wait till everyone at PE2K hears about this...

rubyrulez

Back in Action...again...
    Years
    Nekomajo Asunya said:
    *waves arms like crazy* NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

This can't be happening! I can't be getting a 65! 71, I can cope with (to an extent). 65 is abmysal...

How can I, someone who managed to win Best Author at PE2K how-many-times in a row, get a score that low?

Sorry for going ballistic, but I was expecting at least a 75.

Wait till everyone at PE2K hears about this...

Don't worry about it too much, I got a 47 on mine, yet there are a lot of others that like it. This one review doesn't reflect the opinions of the masses...

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Yeah... but...

When you have a handful of fans, make lots of banners, draw some character pics, make a website about it, and other stuff like that, you'd want to commit suicide too if you got a score that low.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    Lol, different authors have different opinions. I know how you feel ('course I've never had a frosty review since, to be honest, he scares me XP) on thinking you're great a great author and then well, having it somewhat shatter down. 'Course, I always knew my fics were crappy but . . . meh.

Besides that though, I always thought the purpose of a review was to point out what you need to work on, and not the score ('course it makes things fun lol).

LaTeR dAyZ!

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Reactions are pretty random, huh?

lol. Whenever I get a 'frosty review,' I just anticipate it and hold my breath, but know it's something good at the end. =D

Besides, reviews are supposed to help you. ^^ You can always try again. 65 isn't *that* bad. I've seen worse. 8)

*runs*

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
    Oh, man, I'm nervous about Frosty reviewing "Mud". It's easily my most respected Fic. I'm wigging out that Frosty won't like it, but I still have to know what a great reviewer like Frosty thinks of it...

*wrings hands in anticipation* ... *wonders if anyone actually wrings their hands in real life*

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    I appreciate the constructive criticism (even though I get next to none). It's the score I'm rather sickened of.

If I get anything lower than a 70, then something's wrong.

I knew I should've gotten rid of HMW when I had the chance.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    Nekomajo Asunya said:
    Breezy said:
    Lol, different authors have different opinions.
    I'm perfectly aware of that.

What I don't understand is that why do I get high praise at PE2K, yet I get left in the dust here...
    Like I said, different authors/reviewers have different opinions and different set of standards. Some might be lighter while some are harsher.

Don't take low scores negatively. If you get a low score, I'd figured that you want to improve yourself instead of complain about it.

'Course, that's just me.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    Nekomajo Asunya said:
    I'll just take off HMW tomorrow to prevent wasting Frosty's or anyone else's time.
    Take it off if you want to improve it so your score will be better but don't take it off if you're discouraged. :rambo:

Random smilie, I know. Don't ask. But then again, if you're discouraged but want to improve your fic . . .

Meh. x_X *suffers from confuzzlement*

Last edited:

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    He was just being a reviewer. Taking your fic off won't solve anything- try and improve and then see the score you'll get. Take pride in your work. =)

For example...

I still have this fic that I'm really proud of, but frosty gave it a 75 or so. Although he gave it a surprising score, I still consider it one of my best ones for some reason. XD

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Well, there's a problem with that.

HMW1 is finished, and I'm currently doing the sequel. If he reviewed it over the summer, it'd help. However, since I'm already at chapter 10 (which will probably be the last chapter as well since I'd be giving up on it and fan fiction writing in general), I don't think that any constructive criticism would help. So, there's either two options for me: keep on going, or just call the whole thing off (which would probably made everyone's day here).

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
    For crying out loud, don't give up on writing because of one review!

Ask yourself a simple question. Why do you write? If the answer is to impress everyone who reads it, you shouldn't have started in the first place.

But, if your answer is that you love writing, which I think you do, then why would you let another person stop you? You're writing for yourself, because you enjoy it. Why stop?

Besides, nobody's perfect. Not even Frosty or Lily. Everyone has to be a bad writer at some point. Then they move up to mediocre, OK, good, great, fantastic, or even publishable! We all have to start at the bottom and work our way up. It's unavoidable! Don't get discouraged because you're not in the "fantastic" or "publishable" level yet.

Sorry if I went off a bit, I just don't think you're being fair to yourself.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    Nekomajo, will you stop being such a p*ssy!?! You know what your problem is? You give up too ****ing easily the second things start to look bad for you. I tell you what I think is wrong with the first few chapters of HMW a while ago, and you're about to give up on fanfic writing altogether, and now you're repeating the same thing here. We try to help, but you're only making it go in vain. Listen, when you get knocked down, you're not meant to just sit there and cry about it. You're supposed to get back up, then try and get stronger, and hopefully one day, you won't be knocked down again so easily. You've just come to the realization that Pokemon Elite 2000 has extremely low expectations compared to the likes of fic forums like this, and right now, you're just b****ing about it. Just stop, research how you can write a fiction that can match public standards, and just try again. The great authors on this forum don't fall so easily. In fact, I gladly welcome any criticism, even the extremely harsh kind, so long as it can help me. For now, leave your fic up. If more people can view it, perhaps they can see where you've gone wrong, and they too can help you to write something better like a revision or something. Just don't give up so easily, alright?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    First of all, no sympathy or pity from me to someone who will falter at a few words that aren't even intended to pierce the heart like a sword.

So what if your fanfic got banners and custom sprites that go with the story? True that a few pictures can be interesting and make your story more unique among the others, but does that mean that a story is automatically praise-worthy because of their existance? If that is the case, why do I write? Let's get a painter, and paint a brilliant picture to go with a "ink on paper" story... so now am I the best writer online?

A good fanfic isn't defined by the pretty fonts or the colorful pictures. Or should I say... just any piece of writing, and not just a fanfic? A good piece of writing can free our souls to reach a new realm, perhaps even beyond the restrictions of reality. It can move our hearts to behave a certain way while we read the text, or perhaps it is even powerful enough to enlighten us about what is life itself? A writer reveals to the world what he or she believes as "life" in a writing. Be it about Pokemon, or Digimon, Yugioh or whatever the topic is, a good writing can shine light on what the author believes in.

How can a piece of writing do such wonders? Through every single element in the story itself! The way characters react to the plot may show different aspects of the human nature itself. Setting comes it to assist in our understanding on the plot. Tone and diction can move our mind to think in a certain way. Authors can manipulate tone and diction in order to lead the readers into where the author is trying to take them. Metaphors, smilie and other writing elements further helps our learning. At the same time, all of this contributes to a sense of "reality," telling us that the world that we're reading about is actually our own. What must we realize according to the author? What can we learn from the author's hidden message in the story underneath the characters, setting, plot and all?

A writer writes to tell the world what he or she believes in. A reader reads in order to find out what other people in the world believes in.

It is a difficult task to accomplish such a grand task. How can writers do all of this at once? That is why we have reviewers, on a relative scale, more experienced writers/readers (or both of these roles) who can assist the writers in conveying their ideas. Reviewers tell them how somethings should be done in order for the writers to convey their ideas in a more clear manner.

*That* should be why we write; why we read and why we review/comment on fanfics. If your motif is to score the 80+, I'm sorry but you'll *never* reach that goal. Only if you do have your heart set on this goal can you ever truly reach a "good mark." If you are upset about where your writing level is at right now, then by all means try your best to outdo yourself next time! Ask people for help on where to improve. Ask fellow writers on ways to improve yourself. Read other people's work to see what is in their writing that is missing in your own. Perhaps you'll even want to be partners with someone else, so you can proofread one another's work! There is all kinds of ways to learn togehter on how to write, and even how to read. Focus on your own learning, and the marks will follow along with it.

Did I mention how our Emotional Quotas make up 83% of our success and our abilities, while IQ only makes up 7% of it? Proves that our attitude and behavior are certainly a lot more important than out gifts and talents.

Long post from Frosty... but then writing long long stuff that sounds technical yet makes no sense is part of my tone =p

EDIT: and while we're at it...

SHAMELESS ADVERTISEMENT!

-new Complete Fanfic Analysis is coming to our way... We have an analysis on oneshot writing featuring the most beloved Lily's oneshot fanfic. This time, let's get another style of writing and talk about how to write a successful chaptered fanfic...

-Coming Soon!~

Last edited:

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Well, after reading that...

It makes me wanna leave even more.

Unfortunately, I can't delete my fic. Unless there is someone who desperately wants to read it (since I doubt after looking at my score), can a mod remove it? And I don't want it locked either. I want it COMPLETELY deleted. I gave everyone a chance to adapt to my writing style, but it turned out wasted.

So, goodbye.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back