• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Akinari said:
    Since most of the people who go here are quite knowledgable of the matter, I need to ask you guys something: should I bring back the "if your fanfiction doesn't meet the standards, then it's closed" rule rather than "warning before closing your story"?
    Of course. If they're not going to heed the crticism and learn how to write properly, you might as well give up on them.

Then again, I shouldn't be saying anything.

Years
    No, it's fine. This is the purpose why I'm posting here anyway-for feedback...>>

(since Lily decided not to show up this afternoon... >/ )

Naminé

ナミネ..
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2011
    Hmm, perhaps close a story if there is given advice, yet a story does not show much particular improvement? Who knows if an author possess a weak writing skill and experience, yet is patiently waiting for a reviewer to light the way? So, Naminé guesses that she takes a slight liking of the current system~

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    It's true people rarely read the rules (who does, nowadays?) when first entering the designated forum...but still, to enforce it, I think it should be closed whilst given proper instructions/warning in the closing post.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    I'd say warn 'em first, and if they complain about it/post another really bad chapter, then lock the thread.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    Yes, most definately. The author deserves at least one shot to improve unless the story is blatantly offensive, sexual, etc. If it's a quality issue, ther'e little that'll motivate a person like a threat to close. So, give 'em a chance.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    been a while since I posted here. Just wanted you all to know that I posted this announcement on my thread earlier.

俺様の言葉だった said:
    I already made this announcement on the green forums a few days ago. Here it is for the readers here (slightly editted).

I guess I owe it to my loyal readers, after stating that I'd try to get this next chapter in earlier than last time, to provide an explanation after all this time: I'm sorry... I know I said I planned against it before, but I'm going to start from scratch again. I'm still not completely sure about certain things in this story, but I'm seeking advice from various other, more professional sources now instead of relying on reader feedback. On top of that, when I get back, I won't be doing a fanfic.... in the couple years I've been doing this, I realize one thing: I am not fit for fanfiction, a fact I've made quite apparent. The only reason I did it in the first place was because I couldn't do a manga.... I lacked confidence in my art abilities, and I feared the difficulty of correcting a mistake. This time, though, I'm gonna try, dammit! I still lack a scanner, and I still suck at drawing with a mouse, but I've been practicing on that. Look...

Fanfiction Lounge

I sketched Jukain's head off of a screenshot a couple months ago (it's the pic of him using Leaf Blade on Ukon's Dirtengu, for reference). Though I'm shakey with a mouse, I figure I did well by tracing over lines repeatedly to give it a sketch look. Later on, I also tried to do a bishoujo eye, even give it a bit of a manga shading tone.

Fanfiction Lounge

I might be able to improve greatly over time, even with a mouse. Just keep practicing, closely observing traditional manga artwork, it could end up looking great. Also, these sketches were done in MSPaint... I intend to use Photoshop to refine them better (I'm still waiting to borrow a disc). I intend to do this manga in authentic Japanese this time, too. I feel I know enough now, especially after doing some translation work, plus I intend to recruit a proofreader from Pokesho forums or some other place I'm familiar with to help me out on that (an English translation will be provided, of course).

I don't know how well this will end up working out, and god only knows how slow progress will be (drawing is usually more time-consuming, plus I'm swamped with job-searching, translation projects, college, and my other hobbies), but I hope you'll all bear with me on this. I wish to reject this fanfiction realm that I've only been forcing myself into and start anew, doing the Japanese doujinshi that I've always wanted to work on. I intend to really get things going (that, or more practice) once I get Photoshop installed. I intend to start off with a small preview of chapter 1, The Mysterious Eievui, before working a one-shot that I originally submitted in a contest on the green forums. This one-shot will act as sort of a test run before I attempt work on a long-running series.

Though I'm quitting fanfiction, I still have every intent on writing stories, and though this is a fanfic forum, I'll still post in this lounge from time to time, perhaps announce to all of you when I start work on my project. I hope you'll all continue reading, and Frostweaver, if you don't mind reviewing manga, I'd be glad to hear feedback from you again. For now, please be patient just a little while longer, I'll get back to work eventually.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    I wish you luck with your new project Yamato-san. =3 I think it'll turn out great if you continue to improve and get use to using the mouse. Of course you said that. So I'm just regurgitating your words.

Yeah.

And btw, on the last topic, I don't think you should close the fic if it doesn't do well on the first try. The author won't learn anything that way, especially if it gets no reviews. Then he will try again and the process will repeat itself.

And personally, I'd prolly get sick of writing *closed* or whatever you do to close fics Akinari. Haha. I'd prolly end it on a really smart-arse note too. Because I'm just cool like that.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    First post in the OW Fanfic Lounge! Go me! *checks date* Ehh... the place seems to be lively. XP

Anyway, I had ideas for this fic (actually, an old fic getting quite a revamp) floating around. Here's the plot for it.

Team Muyo: Sextet of Miracles said:
    Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Amy Rose, Draco Centauros, and Raichu the Mouse couldn't be more different. Sonic's never one to get snagged on regrets of the past, Tails is always picked on, Knuckles lives in a cave because he must protect a "precious treasure" passed down from his tribe there, Amy is clueless about a lot of things, Draco likes to challenge her opponents to beauty contests to prove that she's pretty, and Raichu likes to go to the mall and play video games. They have very little in common.

One day while the six were having their own separate vacations, however, a shower of shooting stars brings a very unlikely visitor into their lives: Calumon, a refugee from the Zodiac Kingdom that has traveled ten years from the future where all is devastation. To make matters worse, Maid Valentine has unwittingly unleash Chirubi, a malevolent force that's causing strange things to happen in the lands of Solisticia (where Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are from) and Quinoxa (where Amy, Draco, and Raichu are from). The six must seek the twevle Light Prisms to unite their new and startling powers with Calumon's Angel Stone and gain the strength needed to confront Chirubi. Together, they are the Sextet of Miracles, Team Muyo.

The plot isn't 100% in stone, but I'm considering keeping it as is.

I don't plan for the story to be too serious, so if you're looking for an epic fic, you're WAY out of luck. I'm more or less going back to my pre-Hoenn Mirror World roots.

In case you want more info...

https://lil-ida.livejournal.com/94920.html
    https://lil-ida.livejournal.com/95086.html#cutid2

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2008
    Hey ya'll. Im the writer of Extermination. Ill probably start a new thread for it when season 2 premieres in the fall since the old one wont probably be around. Ive been thinking about writing a new series in its place for the summer called Nightmare Academy. "Its about a group of 8th graders who find themselves trapped in their school, and except for them everyone else is gone. It quickly becomes clear that a great evil is in the works."
    Thats just a summry of the plot but its a 14 episode horror/thriller. Im not sure but do you think I should post it?

Naminé

ナミネ..
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2011
    So, since his last attempt is sadly not rewarded with what he deserves, guess that Naminé will give Mr. Crystal Walrein a small help in advertisement by posting in the lounge itself. Newly posted is a series of a new, rarely chosen prose for a few Pokemon fanfictions. Mr. Crystal Walrein have uniquely and specifically chose to do a couple of newspaper articles in order to uncover the truth about a few legendary Pokemon. She has read the stories already, and they possess quite a few unique details and theories in tiself which is worth paying attention to.

So, if there is some time, why not take a shot at reading his brilliant work?

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    I got bored and read almost the entire fanfic lounge from the beginning.

*neglecting fics to judge at SPPf* >>;

You guys used the "^_^" or the "^^;" face a lot. Why were you all so happy? And sweaty?

Uh. This isn't fanficcy related at all na? Um. I updated "Who Shot Brendan Birch" if anyone cares. But you probably don't.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Breezy said:
    You guys used the "^_^" or the "^^;" face a lot. Why were you all so happy? And sweaty?

Because we're high on ecstacy at a dance club. =D *thumbs up*

Seriously, though, I'm right now working on another fic (And yes, you may scold me for not having Midsummer Knights done.), but I'm a bit uneasy about the prologue. Let's put it this way. The idea I have in mind, put in brief, focuses on sixteen fancreated Pokemon (or, more precisely, "Pokemon") with canon characters and Pokemon (Ash, Pikachu, et cetera) as the other half of the cast. In addition, the legendaries are mentioned now and then to the point where they take the entire prologue for themselves and make brief appearances thereafter. Is it a logical thing to fear that both in combination with each other might be a turn-off for some writers? If so, what's your advice on how to limit both where it's not much of a big deal?

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2014
    *neglecting fics to judge at SPPf* >>;

*SMACKS* BAD BREEZY! REVIEW LAUGHINGSTOCK! You're the most dedicated judge anyway XD And that's kinda sad...

Well, I felt like coming back here, this fanfiction lounge was always fun. Unlike Breezy, I refuse to read every single post that was posted since I last came here though... This place is certainly a lot more active since the last time I came here.

Well, I also think it's easier (and funner) to review bad fics for the same reason everyone else said: the bad things are easier to find. I haven't reviewed bad fics in a loooong time though because I hate working my butt off and then being completely ignored which usually happened back when I reviewed bad fics. I kind of pity bad fic reviewers at times when I see their posts not even read through. I feel the same way with Breezy on good fics, I hate to give only praise, but I'm not quite a good enough author to pick up on some of the hidden flaws... Running commentaries tend to be the easiest to do

I also believe it should be close and give second chances later for bad fics. Best to be harsh to make them learn. I say this from experience, of course. I wrote a terrible fic and posted it and next day i got like 11 reviews saying how bad it was and I was happy and then listened. Then when I posted a mediocre fic I got no reviews whatsoever o.o I was like, wth...do people only like crap...which goes back into the previous discussion...

Well thanks for reading this whoever did.

-Icky, out

katiekitten

Is currently: Very happy
    Years
    I'm not a good writer, but I am improving. I think the trick is to practise and practise, and listen to the reviewers. They normally have good advice. :)

Bay

Years
    Hi, this is the first time me here in the fanfic lounge!

Well, I believed that authors should be given time to improve. Take me for example. At first I was having trouble writing my story but as time goes by I kept getting better and better at my writing. If the author doesn't improve his or her writing, then yeah close it.

How to be a good writer? Like katiekitten said, keep pratice writing and also listen to the reviewers. That's how I improved my writing skills.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    Yep, and you're getting better every day. o.0 It's surprising how fast one can improve, and I still owe you those Heart of the Sea reviews, Bay. XDXD... Sorry for not being..erm incredibly fast about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back