• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction of the Month (August): An Awakening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quackerdrill

quiet, huh?
    Years
    Okay- let's just get right to it; This is a tale of how a trainer inside the Pokemon videogame gradually finds out that she is indeed inside a game. As the title suggests, this is an awakening for her and the people around her. Sound interesting? Read on; otherwise, go read... uhh, the Escapist or something. That's what I'd do. (yay, obscurity! 8D )

note 1: this will NOT be updated often. I suddenly have a busy schedule and an awful internet connection as of late... not a good combo. XD

An Awakening- Chapter One

All her life she had a goal. It was one of those things that were practically required where she grew up— everybody had the same task to complete and none of them actually thought about why. It had become a ritual, capturing, battling, collecting badges, and the like. There were the occasional contest, too, and the inevitable secret organization to topple, but even those lost their sparkle after a while and seemed trivial.

She sat down on the quiet lakeside watching the Barboach make tiny ripples in the bluish-green water. A fishing pole in hand, she was prepared to show one of them the topside of a frying pan, but after two hours there was no such luck. By now she had assumed that they were all under there talking amongst themselves and organizing a resistance against her and her bait. Boycott aside, it was a very calming moment compared to the heck that was her week so far.

There is only so far a person can stray from home until they go insane, and she had hit her breaking point. Now instead of wanting that next battle or mastering that new attack her mind yearned for something more meaningful. She desired to set out and meet people. She wanted to see the beautiful scenery that was her home in Johto, nestled in the high mountains where one can touch the clouds. She missed simplicity. She missed just being. She could not help but feel like there was something odd in the world she lived in, something keeping her from living her true life.

Not that those delightful little creatures called Pokemon were part of the problem. Those creatures had served as her best friends and saviors for the last six years, and she was not about to just start ignoring them due to some misguided sense of worthlessness. Her Raichu had been by her side since she could not remember when, and she had only felt pure love for it since its capture. That warm, light brown fur and that whip-like tail brought back memories of wonderful times. But now only the creature really seemed wonderful, and she had begun to doubt that the experiences they shared were worth it in the long run.

That lake was only getting cooler as she sat there. Those Barboach were determined to never leave their posts. And there she was holding the line with a grip looser than the one on her reality. The very thought of fishing for yet another Pokemon now sounded useless, and as she watched the pole slip from her hand into the water with a minute splash, she could not help but grin. The point of the pole was now submerged and the shadowy blur sunk slowly down into a nothingness of blues and greens.

So did her understanding of the life she lived.

Small footsteps were heard on the tile as the creature steadily advanced towards its destination. It knew that if there was any time to get some food from its dish without anyone noticing, it was now. As it walked down the hall it gradually moved towards the wall to its right and began creeping alongside it, peeking around the corner when the wall ended.

The creature saw two people sitting in tall stool chairs having a heavy discussion, so it realized that its journey was in vain. Its happy expression turned angry and it snapped its whip-like tail, producing a tiny spark from its lightning bolt-shaped end.

"Did you see a flash from the hall? Either your electricity bill needs paying or that Raichu of yours is out." The speaker was a man with a thick head of black unkempt hair and a pair of glasses that obscured the sarcasm in his eyes. He was sitting across from a woman with a large white sunhat that cast shade on her pale face. Her eyes were clearly the opposite of the man's— they bore a glint of worry.

"It must be the Raichu," the woman muttered quietly. "Lily's got to stop leaving him here every time she wants to get out of the house."

The man looked confused. "It's very odd that a trainer of your daughter's caliber would ignore her Pokemon. Have you talked to her about this?"

She sighed. "No, it just never comes up, I guess. She's so easily put off by things these days that I fear saying much to her… Besides, the little guy seems fine."

The rat-like creature then dashed into the room with a trail of harmless sparks behind it and stopped in front of a clay bowl of food that read "Sam". It drove its head into the bowl and ate the food vigorously. As it emerged, its face was a depiction of complete happiness, and it exited the room with a hop in its step.

The man adjusted his glasses downward. "You need to talk to your daughter, and soon. If this is any indication, all of her Pokemon will become deranged."

The woman held back a laugh as she rolled her eyes. "Not deranged, just lonely, I think. It's just like a man who leaves his wife for a few years and the wife's mind slowly deteriorates… not that I would know anything about that sort of situation…" Her voice progressively became quieter.

"That again? You know that by bringing that up you unleashed a can of Wurmple the size of who knows what. I know it's tough to move on, but—"

The woman looked at him sternly. Her brown eyes were like whirlpools which sucked out all the logic in his head piece by piece. He may have known her desire to forget about what had happened with her and her husband, but the fact that she brought it up so often drove him crazy. It is human nature to want to find closure to situations, but he knew that this situation closing was as likely as a door with a broken handle.

All he could do then was sit there and ride the whirlpool in hopes of a safe return.

The path home was wide and dusty, lined with dirt about as old as the town itself. Lily walked down it drearily with her hands in her pockets. Her mind was far away from the lake where she had left her fishing pole as well as her former state of confidence.

The sky above her had turned a dark orange since she had last seen it in the reflection of the water. The sun was making its last imprint on the current day. Lily's dark brown hair was lit with the same shade of orange and was a stark contrast to her shady face.

It wasn't that the day hadn't been beautiful; the sunset attested to that. It was that she was sick of her mind developing new ways to make herself upset. She had always been a girl that knew the world around her and drew her confidence and resolve from this awareness. She was a proud person due to this and sixteen years of practice had grown a hard shell around her otherwise frail body. But her mind was ready to crack right through it.

She stopped in the middle of the trail to take in the sunset, as she thought that maybe a clear mind was gained through relaxation once in a while. But what had been a sunset a few minutes beforehand had simply become a horizon of reds with a sun missing.

So much for a clear mind.

The noise of footsteps then rung through her head as someone slowly approached her from behind. A faint cloud of dust from the trail swept up around her as well.

"You're crazy to be out here all alone without a Pokemon, Lily," the figure said.

She turned around to see a young teenage boy in a baseball cap, looking at her with a crooked smile as if he was keeping himself from laughing. Her expression softened; of all the people she could have possibly seen at the moment, he was the most welcome. They approached each other and engaged in a warm hug, the boy's cap rising over Lily's shoulder. As they released each other she finally let out a smile, the first for the entire day.

"I have no need for a Pokemon right now, with my mental state," she said.

"Are you still in that phase where you think there's no reason for anything anymore? There was a time when that was cute, but that was a while ago." The boy now put his hands in his pockets and looked at the sky.

"I actually don't think it's a phase anymore… I'm seriously beginning to doubt about pretty much everything and it isn't going away. Battles? Needless distractions. Badges? Conspiracy to get all of us trainers out of our houses. I used to get mad at people when they acted like idiotic cynics but now I'm one of them."

"All the years I've known you to be so proud of what you do, and here you are denying the reasons why… I came out here because I'm concerned, Lily. I was worried that you were just going to keep going out every night to God knows where and ignoring your Pokemon, me- heck, everybody!"

Lily looked down at the ground. She knew he was right.

"Have you seen your mother?" The boy continued. "Poor Miss Reed is taking it harder than I am back at your house. I mean, she's already torn up about-"

"Is it my fault I can't control my feelings?" She interrupted with a much harsher tone. "You're blaming me for something that is completely out of my control. Look—look at this scrape down here."

Lily gestured towards a scab on her leg, underneath a hole ripped in her black jeans.

"Where did you get that nasty thing from?" The boy asked looking at it carefully.

"I got it when I fell down… while I was trying to do something." She once again trailed off.

"What could you have been doing that caused such an awful scrape? Or do I want to know?"

"It was the strangest thing, too. Have you ever tried to hop up a small ledge? Like a really short step?"

"I guess I haven't. Doesn't seem too tough though," he said confusedly.

"For some reason, I physically wasn't able to hop up. There was some sort of force stopping me from getting up there and it makes no sense! That's why I'm so confused right now, there was no reason why I- I just couldn't…"

Lily stood extremely still and her eyes welled up with tears. The boy watched as circles of water formed on the red dirt below her. At first he could not understand how she could have gone so quickly from delighted to see him to depressed again, but there was now a bigger problem on his hands. She was right; it was something she could not control and could not be explained. He now had to figure out whether she was right or just in need of some attention. Either one, he had to be there for her.

Lily looked up, a tear slowly approaching the corner of her mouth. "Can you… walk me home?" Her voice was quiet, but clear.

He nodded and moved towards her cowering body. He wrapped his arm around her and kissed her cold cheek.

"I know you're real, Tom… you're real…"

"Paranoia. That's all this is, dear… you're just tired of training and it's worn ya out."

As much as Lily wanted to just accept this answer and end her current confusion about the world around her, it was not enough to calm the storm in her mind. As she sat slouched over in her green cloth couch facing her mother's kind stare, she continued to pet her Raichu—it had been demanding her attention ever since she had came into the house.

"I really doubt this is just me being paranoid, mom," Lily said angrily, "there is absolutely no reason why that ledge was so darn hard to get up!"

"A ledge?" Her mother looked at Lily quizzically. "Is that what started this whole thing? Lily…"

"What?" she stated sharply.

"Lily, you should have known better. It is common knowledge that those things are impossible to get up. You gotta go down them, see. What was the reason you wanted to get up there?"

She attempted to visualize the situation in her head. "Well, I was looking at it thinking if this little ledge is shorter than the grass I walk through every day, then I can hop right over it, right? But no, of course not—apparently what makes sense to Lily doesn't have to make sense to Mother Nature…"

Her mother was jotting down answers to a crossword puzzle at the time she was listening, and after Lily had stopped talking she looked up worriedly.

"Okay…. I guess paranoia isn't going to cut it, then." They both laughed, but the moment was short; Lily saw the clock and somehow knew that it was getting late. Somehow- right then something hit her that hadn't before.

"Mom… why does the clock on the wall always read twelve from far away but not when you look at it up close?"

Her mother stood up and put down her crosswords. She shot a tired glance at her daughter and then walked over to give her a hug. Her face somewhere in her mother's warm shoulder, Lily smiled.

As they separated her mother looked at her kindly. "You are definitely your father's child… always too curious for your own good. Just…"

She paused. Lily sat attentively on the couch and with much better posture than before.

"…just don't drive yourself crazy."

Her mother walked out of the room and switched off the light. Though Lily was left in the darkness, there was a new source of light in the room.

end o chap. Reply and complain as you please. ^-^

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ......Interesting...but are Tom & Lily supposed to be Gold & Crystal (known as Jimmy & Marina in Pokemon Chronicles)?

Quackerdrill

quiet, huh?
    Years
    Ichapokemr said:
    ......Interesting...but are Tom & Lily supposed to be Gold & Crystal (known as Jimmy & Marina in Pokemon Chronicles)?
    Uhh, that wasn't the intention, no. As far as I know, they're just characters for this fic and nothing else... Is there some kind of similarity?

*thinks*

Oh yeah, thanks HUGE for reading. I almost forgot where I was. XD

Ria

Minx Extraordinaire
    Years
    Why on EARTH didn't I read this before o.O' Eh...typical. I never notice the awesome fics until they get stickied. Oooh, I'm so ashamed...er...again.

Anyhoo, that was just plain awesome! :D I mean, the very idea of this fic is so dead cool I just can't find words! I really, really like it a lot ^^ I mean, I like lots of stuff but I like this more than almost everything else I like a lot ^^

I *think* o.O'

...¬¬

Must use less words in future. ¬¬

The bottom line is: love the fic! ^.^'

Quackerdrill

quiet, huh?
    Years
    Sheesh, I don't check for a while and everything explodes... why am I having deja vu?

Let's just say I'm feeling extremely guilty right now. I post Pressure and now Awakening and I don't expect any reviews, then all of the sudden it's FF of the Month? I'm a tad bit blown away by the sheer concept. Maybe I should come here more often... ANYHOO. Ahem. Thanks for the stickifying- it's an honor. Huge honor. ^_^

Akinari: You're completely right- I didn't expect this! Thanks a bunch.

Ria: Awesome? Really? I'm glad you liked it! Yeah, it's definitely an idea that I really thought would be interesting... I'm glad you thought I pulled it off well. yay!

So, cookiemuffinbrownies to all yall. Ciao! New chappie soon.

*explodes*

Quackerdrill

quiet, huh?
    Years
    alright alright alright. 'Tis short, but that's expected, right? Not much happens in this chap, but it's leading up to some cool stuff coming soon. Enjoy!

An Awakening – Chapter Two

Lily was sitting calmly on the brown, leather couch with an expression as dead as the air was on her television. The glowing box in front of her, once exploding with light and noise, was now muted and grayed as the night went into the twilight hours. Lily had found herself in this situation many times before, as it was common that her overactive mind kept her from getting much rest.

She had told herself at around one in the morning that she would stop caring about the ledge incident.

She had told herself around three that she would stop worrying about what Tom would do when he sees her the next day.

And at five she at last decided to force herself to stop worrying about stopping worrying; the way she intended to resolve this was to watch some television. She found out how well that works.

Lily was about to confirm her fear of her sanity finally flying away when she thought that for a split second that there was actually something visible on her television screen, but she was correct—the interference had left and now what were tiny black dots became a commercial for some sitcom that was making it's debut.

On the screen was a lanky man in a leather jacket standing at the edge of a bar… or at least what looked like a bar in the diminutive screen. He watched adamantly as the bartender shoved a red plate topped with a pile of golden french fries and an obnoxiously huge cheeseburger. The man gave a thumbs-up sign with both of his hands as the narrator spoke about something along the lines of how brilliant such and such magazine thought the program was.

But the plate was what caught Lily's eye.

"Nope, not again," she said out loud, not really comprehending that her audience was currently just her Raichu, laying on the carpet scratching itself.

She knew it was coming—it was food this time. Something that was always portrayed in television, film, and comics as a required activity, but something that Lily never did as a—

"No, I'm not going to go there, not now." She stood up and clicked the television off with a swift press of the remote control. "God help me, one more stupid thing like this and…"

"Raaaaiiiii?"

Lily was cut off by a cry that came from below her. Her Pokemon was sitting at her feet, tugging helplessly on her gray sock. She reached down and picked it up (although very slowly; generally when a Pikachu evolves it multiplies in weight just as much as its power), bringing it in towards her with a combined expression of worry and frustration.

"Oh Sam, you'll always find something to complain about… do you want me to be quieter or something? Am I interrupting some serious debate with a dust mite or what?"

The creature looked up at Lily with saucer eyes and its mouth agape. She knew very well he probably didn't comprehend any of that, but she had always liked to hear herself speak nonetheless. But there was something very comforting about her Raichu that she often overlooked:

If there was one thing she could depend on not changing, it was her Pokemon's loving smile.

His forehead was sweaty and his eyes were blurred from overexposure to the computer screen, but he deemed it all worth the cause of cheering up the one he loved. Tom Woods was never one to give up on something that had a deeper meaning in his life. His current endeavor was writing a poem-like letter to his girlfriend Lily to help her out in a time that he thought she needed it most.

Tom had loved Lily ever since those brown eyes caught him unawares on a fishing trip one day, but her appreciation as of late was far from mutual. She openly admitted that she loved him, yes—but when one's mind is a storm, the words, like lightning, are rarely accurate. She had begun to distance herself, most likely due to her changing perception of her world. Their meeting the prior night was the first in weeks.

And Tom was feeling the difference.

His eyes darted back and forth between the screen and the keyboard, as typing was not a forte of his, and eventually words, sentences, and paragraphs formed on the white virtual paper.

His poetry was to address Lily's choice of not confiding in him during her rough days—a bit pushy sounding, but exactly what he felt about the situation. He believed he was strong and that her every wish could be fulfilled by him…

But doesn't every doting boyfriend.

The glow of his laptop was the only light in his dark room, as the hour was late and the morning approached. This coming morning, Tom believed, was to change everything about their relationship; this letter was bound to be an instant fix and the overall plan was brilliant in his eyes.

Reality was a new concept to Tom.

"Wake up, Miss Priss, I've got some vacuuming to do and I need that TV for my soap soon."

Lily awoke to the sound of her mother's voice and the sight of a Raichu's tail wagging directly in front of her eyes. Sam had nestled on her head and assumedly slept the night on it. She did not want to think about what state her hair was in at the moment.

As she rose (while a tired Pokemon simply fell and bounced off the couch), Lily dozily walked over to the kitchen table and pulled out a wooden stool to sit on. The table was of a tall, oaken variety and was currently decorated with an autumn motif; Thanksgiving had only been a few days ago and it was Lily's job to clear the table the next day.

No one can remember everything, she thought.

"You got a call on your cell phone about thirty minutes ago," her mother said as she opened the cupboard, "I'll let you take a guess who it was."

Lily put her elbows on the table and sighed. "Sheesh, that boy is going to… What did he say this time?"

"Well, he wants to give you something, by the sound of it. Something pretty urgent. Why don't you have him come over?"

Lily recalled that the last time Tom had visited the house was not quite enjoyable. He was invited to play board games with the family, but he was so distracted by the sheer presence of Lily that his concentration on any of the games was limited. It wasn't that she didn't like the attention; it was just that there is a line that can easily be crossed with relationships at such a young age. Lily loved him, but was far from being ready to give up her everyday life for him.

"Maybe. Just stack Jenga in the other room and I'll talk to him about it."

Her mother laughed as she walked by the table in hot pursuit of Sam, who had just a few seconds ago nabbed the extension cord for the vacuum in its mouth. It scurried out the room with sparks flying everywhere. She stopped at the doorway realizing that it wasn't worth running for this early in the morning.

"Why don't you take that thing for a walk? It's been driving me nuts for days when you're not here… why haven't you been taking it with you, anyways?"

"Yeah, and have it bug me instead? Its home is here, where it can eat, sleep, and… whatever else it does."

Lily's mother walked over to the refrigerator and stood in front of it. "When was the last time it had a battle? Really."

Lily had to think about this—she hadn't been involved with many other trainers for quite some time. "Fine. I'll take the little nut for a walk in a bit."

She looked down the hall and saw that Sam was laying on the floor wrapped up in the cord, presumably sleeping. If I can survive…

Her mother opened the refrigerator and looked inside, the soft, frosty mist passing by her.

"Want something to drink before you go? We've got Soda Pop, Lemonade, and Fresh Water…"

Last edited:

pokeman1033

Females and shinies rule.
    Years
    Interesting fic...

Warning: vB_Registry::include(/home/pokecomm/public_html/includes/config.php) [function.vB-Registry-include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/pokecomm/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2343

Warning: vB_Registry::include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/pokecomm/public_html/includes/config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/pokecomm/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2343

Configuration: includes/config.php does not exist. Please fill out the data in config.php.new and rename it to config.php

Wow. I had no idea you had such a way with words. :-)
    Actually, I clicked on your link and this popped up. I'm using Firefox 2 BTW.

Quackerdrill

quiet, huh?
    Years
    Warning: vB_Registry::include(/home/pokecomm/public_html/includes/config.php) [function.vB-Registry-include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/pokecomm/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2343

Warning: vB_Registry::include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/pokecomm/public_html/includes/config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/pokecomm/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 2343

Configuration: includes/config.php does not exist. Please fill out the data in config.php.new and rename it to config.php

Wow. I had no idea you had such a way with words. :-)
    Actually, I clicked on your link and this popped up. I'm using Firefox 2 BTW.
    Uhh, I suppose I should at least thank you for coming in here and posting, but I didn't need you to point out my broken link... I have changed it now, but before I had left it broken on purpose after the forum went through its change. (Or whatever that was XD) I honestly didn't think the fic had any breath left over here. I was ready to bury it.

Sorry man, but it doesn't really make me feel any better that you said nothing about the actual writing in your reply... I appreciate your help trying to make this site broken-link free, but I would have preferred you to at least aknowledge that there is a piece of writing that serves as the main thread.

Thanks for posting... I guess...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    *slow clap*

Probably because Quackerdrill hasn't signed on in over three years? Which was why this fic was buried for that long, until you decided to come along and point out the obvious?

Closed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back