• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Father Time?

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Random title is random haha.

On to business. I was reading a few post regarding how long it takes for some people to map. So I got to thinking, "Am I just fast or is everyone else slow? What's the average time it takes to do a map + scripts?"

Since I'm in College now I don't have time to hack all the time. This means that when I do have time to hack I have to do as much as I can in the alotted time. With that said, it takes about 15 minutes to map & script a whole town including interiors and all. Meaning I typically knock out 3 or four maps a day. (This includes routes and what not). The only exception to this is caves, in which I don't have too many ideas for so it usually takes me longer to do a cave as opposed to a city.

So the question is how long does it take you to do a town? How about a city? Route & Caves?

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • hmm, scripts i am not sure,
    but for maps,haha, funny thing is my time mapping is random, if i have the mood, or nothing else to take my interest i could do them in a day maybe but if there are other things that interest me like this past few months, watching anime, reading manga, it can take me a week to finish just one map, there even a day i just map 3 trees into the map even though i left A-Map open for almost the whole day..Xd

jabberjabber8

../\..
    Years
  • I am really slow (i think) it takes me roughly half an hour to map a city (to a high quality) and i have no idea how to script... but a average size route only takes me about 10 mins...

E.C.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    hmm...yea i remember talking about this topic on the "pokemon hack" hack, i said it takes about 2 weeks for me to do 2 maps, thats because i am very indecisive, i am constantly changing maps because i think they don't look good, and i spend a lot of time doing that, i started working on my hack on january, and so far i have only made 10 maps! but some people take only a few minutes to make maps, so it just depends on the person, or how good the map is.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • It takes me about a week to do...anything really :\
    I get easily distracted, and even when I tell myself that I'm going to do something, I end up doing something else instead.

BLAZEQUAZA

ONE FIERY BEAST
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    Personally, it takes me a very short of time to make a town, the scripting however, takes me much longer.

I'd say in about an hour I can do about 2 towns, and a few routes. I'm relatively slow in my opinion, but I like to be thorough and check all my scripts.

But that's just me
    ~BLAZE

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • It usually takes me 10 - 20 minutes to map a place, and then an extra five to fix little bits and bobs. Generally, apart from major events it will take me 1.5 - 2 hours to complete a town.
    I'm slow. :3

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I'm pretty fast most of the time, although I tend to drag my maps out over large periods of time, even if they don't actually take all that long. I do put a lot of effort into my maps though, so I don't mind if they take months, if that's what it takes to make them as good as I can make them.

Examples:
    Spoiler:
    This one took less than an hour.

Spoiler:
    While this one took a few weeks. (Probably 12+ hours of mapping time.)

Gemini Pika

Sprite Master
    Years
  • Mapping for me can be quick or slow depending on the game. For G/S/C I can finish a map in about 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the map. For R/S/E & FR/LG it takes a bit longer due to more tiles and such. Scripting on the other hand takes me hours. =P

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • I'm a slow mapper, but that's because I like to constantly revise my work as I go. It can even take over an hour to map a small town if I'm really being picky about what I've made. Larger towns and routes generally take a lot longer. In addition to mapping I generally insert tiles quite a lot, so that has to be factored in as well, plus any small edits that I feel are necessary of the next few days/ weeks. It's all about revision for me :P

Scripting is easy, so I can churn out basic scripts quickly. Cutscenes or more complex scripts obviously take more time, but they're few and far between :D

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • My mapping is fast, compared to a lot of times people put up. IDK how they take so long, I look at the time and go "wut". Scripting I am also fast, but I get bored pretty fast too lol. However, I will often go back over and edit again and again to fix up little things until they're right.

Years
  • Xerofeo: takes about 2 days to map 1 town & 2 routes
    don't know how to script

Arashi: takes 1 hr. - 5 hr. to map & script 3 towns/cities & 5 routes (all scripts tested as well)
    but my scripts get fused with other scripts sometimes. So I have to start over.

Last edited:

Putin

Anspruchsvolle Narr
    Years
  • Compared to some of you guys, I'm pretty slow. But then, the average city for me can go between one and three full-size (75x75) maps stuck together, with not much, if any, open, empty space (the exception being things intentionally left open, like parks, deserted beaches and fields), while routes are typically two 30x100 maps stuck together somehow.

Attached picture is an example of a map I'm about 2/3 finished with. note that the river is a fully functioning water puzzle (such as the regi cave puzzle next to Pacifidlog), since the 54-57 behaviour bytes override 50-53 until it hits a wall or a 58 block (meaning that many of the down-blocks there don't actually do anything, since you scoot past them on a different current). This one's been two days so far; I still have to do the empty portion to the western part of the island and throw on an eastern coast (though the latter should only take a few minutes).

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Depends the size of the map really
    But normally i just mke a rubbish map and generally improve it after day by day
    so my maps are normally 4-5 days to make D:

And i generally dont know how to script (kill me now!) >.<

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • Well I've never had a good enough computer to actually do some serious hacks, just got a better one about a week ago, and I gotta say, it's nice having a nice CPU, I can pop out pretty maps at a pretty fast pace now.

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
    Years
  • About 3 hours regardless of map size. Even if it's a small map I make sure it's perfect. It's why I am/used to be the best graphical-based hacker on this community.

Back