• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

favorite 3DS games

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
Years
  • Ok, so tomorrow I am buying a 3DS. The touchscreen for my ds has been broken for a while and I want to play pokemon white (and then move on to the next games after).
    What games other than pokemon do you guys recommend?

Also, how good is the console, compared to the other consoles? Can you switch between a normal screen and the 3D screen?

Any other opinions on it?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    The 3DS is an interesting beast. It's software and controls are great but the hardware has some difficulties to overcome. I got my 3DS on release day and the raised edges around the bottom screen have left a nice rectangular scratch-indent-mark thing on the top, and the hinge is somewhat loose, letting the top part almost flop around when it's open. This may have been fixed in later iterations or in the 3DS XL, and for the record I totally love using it in spite of that.

As far as games, I have Kingdom Hearts 3D (effectively a full-blown KH game), Kid Icarus Uprising (not for everybody but if you like it, you'll love it), Mario Kart 7 (my favorite Mario Kart to date) and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (only Gen V pokes, with some exceptions :< but still pretty good). Some of the offerings on their online store are good as well. Pushmo and Dillon have good reputations and I really enjoy Sakura Samurai.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Awesome system. I'm having tons of fun with it.

Is this limited to 3DS games? Because if so, Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon is the best game in the system in my opinion. Some technical issues here and there but the game is remarkable. It's huge fun filled with content in one package. The charm in this game is great and the animation is unmatched. I recommend anyone with a 3DS to get it, it's that good.

Other must haves include 3D Land and Kid Icarus Uprising. I'd be wary of the latter, since the controls might be for you, but if you stick with it you'll love it. Paper Mario Sticker Star is great fun as well and I'd recommend giving it a try. There's also the usual Mario Kart, Mario Tennis and NSMB if you're into those, but you already know what to expect of them. I also really liked MGS 3DS despite the frame rate issues.

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
    Years
  • Ah, the 3DS is remarkable! I do hope that you'll enjoy using it. <3 It does hold it's ground compared to other consoles like the Wii U and PS3, imo.

Anyways, as for 3DS games, I'd say my favourites include Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time, which is, of course, a port of the original Ocarina of Time for the N64, however, the 3Ds made it have better graphics, but the gameplay is still the same! I'd also reccomend Fire Emblem Awakening. That game is crazy fun if your a Fire Emblem fan, or if you are just getting into the series.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • If I haven't already said it enough, Virtue's Last Reward is one I'd recommend, it easily places first in my favorite games on the 3DS (and of the eighth generation, so far). The game lasted me about 40 hours, but that can vary from person to person depending on how you deal with the puzzles. The story for the game is unparalleled, so I definitely recommend buying it.

Fire Emblem: Awakening comes in a close second, and its up there with Genealogy of the Holy War as my favorite Fire Emblem titles. It's a game that's as long as you make it out to be, and there's a lot of replay value (though not in the conventional sense), as well as a good story and a surprisingly strong cast of characters. I'd definitely recommend it, even if you don't like strategy games.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is also a great and very unique title, and I think of the three games I've listed so far it has the most overall appeal. It has clever dialog, plenty of references, and fun gameplay. But as Spinosaurus said, the controls can be a little painful, but once you get past that you'll have a lot of fun.

If you're looking for eShop titles, I'd recommend Harmoknight, a Rhythm game made by the creators of pokemon, that is pretty short but has more to offer upon completion.

Crimson Shroud, a Guild 01 titles, is an RPG in the style of D&D, and as complex as it is, it features a lot of decision making with immediate pros and cons. It's certainly an interesting title that makes a lot of interesting choices in its development, and its certainly worth looking into if you like Turn-Based or Tabletop RPGs.

Liberation Maiden is another Guild 01 title worth looking into. It's a Shooter much in the style of an Action Game. It's missions offer variety, and the missions often have side-missions, making each more varied than the last.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    Ive had mine for less than 2 months, so ive only played around 3 games or so. Best out of those has been Super mario 3d land, with fire emblem being a close second.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I only own 2 3DS titles at the moment, so my options are pretty limited. ;) Hopefully I'll have Soul Hackers by the end of the week to change that.

FE13 (Awakening) - Good ole' strategy game fun. Though the more I played it, the more I became a bit disappointed with certain aspects. Not gonna list them because unless you've some of the other titles in the series, you'll have no clue what I'm talking about. :] Either way, it's still a very good game. Any fans of RPGs in general should give the game a try.

Mario Kart 7 - What can be said about this? I mean the formula is the still the same, and still works. A lot more customization this time for yours carts (though I wish they hadn't got of rid of bikes) and a new glider mechanic, which is pretty much a mixed bag for me. Online is the best part for me, adding a lot of community features and races options makes for a ton of replay value.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Thanks guys! I got a nice red 3DS XL yesterday along with LoZ Ocarina of Time, since I never got to play the original. So far I'm enjoying it. I'm also enjoying my 2 year old copy of pokemon white that I have barely been able to play with my lack of a properly working DS.

I can't say I really like the 3D feature, it hurts my eyes, but I'm sure I can get used to it and the fact that I can turn it off makes it not even a problem.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • Two games you might be interested in are:

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - This latest entry to the Monster Hunter series has plenty of replay value, alone or with friends. Unfortunately the 3DS version lacks online play unlike its Wii U counterpart, but you can still play locally though wireless communication. If you like RPGs, I recommend trying this out and if you don't know what any of the monster hunter games are like, a quick youtube search for gameplay can give you an good idea.

Fire Emblem Awakening - This is in my opinion the best strategy game on the 3DS. It is more polished than the other fire emblem games and the difficulty spikes skyward as you unlock higher settings. As far as replay goes, you have many choices on what type of characters you want such as having magic users or swift swordsman. With the option of reclassing, you are able to try out multiple combinations to create powerful characters with various abilities. You can even recruit previous characters from older Fire Emblem titles to use freely during fights.

-brooke

not gonna raichu a love song
    Years
  • I'd have to go with Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. This is mainly because I am a die-hard KH fan, and am pretty much obsessed with anything from the franchise. Next, though, I'd have to go with Mario Kart 7.

I'm sure Pokemon X or Y will be on this list when it comes out, mainly because I'm excited for the new format of Pokemon gaming.

ilovedeino15

I used to be bctincher15
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2013
    Definitely X & Y when they come out and
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    Mario Kart 7
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (released today)
    Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

I got Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and I like it. And I've had a lot of fun with the rest.

Years
  • I've still only scratched the surface of 3DS games, but I find that I really enjoy Mario Kart 7, much for the same reasons that Icebloom said. It's also nice to see that there are a bunch of old tracks from previous games as well, so if you've played any of the previous incarnations of the game, there's sure to be something that you'll recognize.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I only have a very small library of 3DS games right now. And I haven't played them all yet.

But, I really enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2013
    I'm in the same boat

I know I can always trust Pokemon & Mario though

I'm thinking about buying that drawn to life game, and drawing my character as inappropriate things for the lulz

AniRain

Goddess of Storms
    Years
  • I was originally quite against buying a 3DS - partially because I loved my little Game Chip that I had (Specifically CycloDS) then I realised that DS games were soon going to go out of 'business' shall we say? So I bought one Dec '12. I will admit - It was probably a really good choice. I had to stick with Demos and old DS games for a while but I soon bought a few games.
    My current Favourites are:
    Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward.
    Fire Emblem: Awakening (The demo at the moment - need to find a place to buy it since everywhere sold out :'()
    Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.
    I think it's a good buy :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • No 3DS should be complete without a copy of Mario Kart 7. It's such a joy to play, has really good use of the 3D screen. Honestly, it's worth buying a 3DS for, in my opinion. It's the only game I would play on it, had I not managed to lose the charger a few months ago... :/

Back