• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Gymleader -Revived-

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Dark Weezing said:
    Flannery has novelty with her exposition of her family and Norman is interesting because of the familal connection to your character. But in terms of sheer personality, the Hoenn GLs are quite boring aren't they? They seem to rely on their designs and expositions to get their acknowledgements and that's...almost pathetic actually.

I was saying Flannery's desing is stupid, not her history. Norman is pretty nice, but just for being your father doesn't makes him really "in the story". If he actually did more than just battling you, making Wally stick to you, and being at your house to give you the Ticket. In the Gameboy, I judge the Gym Leaders by design. Pok?mon may be a RPG, but, admit, it has no story like the others RPGs. Unless you want to count Team Rocket/Aqua/Magma as the storyline, it's still not to be compared with others.

Yoru Ryu

Nutricious information
    Years
    Hey, i just saw one of my Dolls up their as an avvie... hell, they get around :P

Ah, the Topic.

MORTY: And not just because he looks Stoned. I don't usually go for Blonds...

BLAINE: In the Anime they guy just had STYLE. C'mon, a battle over a volcano! How good is that. And he had a shiny head too, ha. And any hippy style sure get's my vote.

CLAIR: 'specially in G/S/C she was hillarious! Making you find a "Sacred" Dragon's Fang then letting you keep it after throwing a tantrum o_o Lance and that Elder Len guy have a lot on their hands there...

WALLACE: He's so "beautiful" as he says XD And he was awful hard to beat in R/S. Friggin' Milotic Recover *grumble*

SABRINA: l337 Psycic an' all that.

TATE&LIZA: Friggin' adorable even if their Pokemon are walkovers ??

Infusco

Darkness Within
    Years
    kohei said:
    Jasmine. I like how her personality (in the game and not the anime) clashes with her gigantic Steelix.
    I like any character where her weapon/Pokemon/attack juxtoposes with her personality.

Then where is Sabrina!? :D Needless to say, my favourite gym leader is Sabrina, definetly. She can turn people into dolls, so there ya go.

Years
    Deviruchi said:
    I was saying Flannery's desing is stupid, not her history. Norman is pretty nice, but just for being your father doesn't makes him really "in the story". If he actually did more than just battling you, making Wally stick to you, and being at your house to give you the Ticket. In the Gameboy, I judge the Gym Leaders by design. Pok?mon may be a RPG, but, admit, it has no story like the others RPGs. Unless you want to count Team Rocket/Aqua/Magma as the storyline, it's still not to be compared with others.

I agree with your views on design, that's another reason why the Johto GLs succeed, Faulker's asian design, Bugsy's femboy looks, Clair's fashion statement, are quite distinctive. With the exception of Wallace and his...uh...flamboyant style and Tate and Liza and their weird twin scheme, no one in Hoenn has that unique style of Johto or Kanto's revolutionary designs.

I complained about Flannery because beyond her history, there isn't much to her story, she's just there. Wallace on the other hand has more but that's mostly because the anime screwed him over. Part of the game is caring about the GLs and I don't with the Hoenn ones. They're so squeaky clean perfect.

Chinks in the armor makes the character viable. Not overt like say Sabrina with her family angst in the anime (or Giovanni's for that matter) but enough to make a difference for your empathy.

I agree with you about the lack of story. Nintendo would rather have you skipping along, collecting badges than do side arcs with the story and other characters' characterization. Although I do view Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua as a subplot and a very nice one (One of the main reasons I keep buying the games really) but there needs to be more than them, I agree.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Dark Weezing said:
    I agree with your views on design, that's another reason why the Johto GLs succeed, Faulker's asian design, Bugsy's femboy looks, Clair's fashion statement, are quite distinctive. With the exception of Wallace and his...uh...flamboyant style and Tate and Liza and their weird twin scheme, no one in Hoenn has that unique style of Johto or Kanto's revolutionary designs.

I complained about Flannery because beyond her history, there isn't much to her story, she's just there. Wallace on the other hand has more but that's mostly because the anime screwed him over. Part of the game is caring about the GLs and I don't with the Hoenn ones. They're so squeaky clean perfect.

Chinks in the armor makes the character viable. Not overt like say Sabrina with her family angst in the anime (or Giovanni's for that matter) but enough to make a difference for your empathy.

I agree with you about the lack of story. Nintendo would rather have you skipping along, collecting badges than do side arcs with the story and other characters' characterization. Although I do view Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua as a subplot and a very nice one (One of the main reasons I keep buying the games really) but there needs to be more than them, I agree.

Bugsy deisgn owns, that's true. I have nothing imuch to say about the first paragraph, but I do agree that some Hoenn one's desing is screwed [For example, Wattson is a fatty grandpa, and Brawly is just clich?d.]

Flannery just lost her grandpa and now is the GL. Oh, wow. At least the Mang? emphasys on the Gym Leaders MUCH more than the Game and the Anime. You can see the intense battle of GLs vs Aqua/Magma at the Hoenn Series, and GLs vs E4 in the Kanto ones.

The Sabrina episodes were one of the best of the 1st Season. They had some intersting story at least, not just "Save the guy in need and battle Team Rocket".

Now, forgetting the GB Games for a while, Pok?mon Colosseum's Snagem and Cipher were way better plots than Magma/Aqua/Rocket. I mean, let's look what they had at Colosseum: No Gym Leaders. So they could emphasys more in the story. Even that the main plot for the game is battling the Gym Leaders and the E4, I completely agree there should be more subplots, other then battling a random Team. Thinking of it, at FR/LG Sevii Islands, Team Rocket had a great appaerance. I mean, all Sevii Quests, other then very very sub ones, the main thing you had to do was to discover the Rocket Passwords and fight them, while trying to get the Ruby and the Sapphire. If they could make things like that [I.E.: You are fighting a GL, then a Rocket guy enters in the Gym and steal the badges. Then before having to fight the Gym Leader, you'd had to go on a quest with, hmm, the same size of the FR/LG Sevii, to get the badge back. Why can't Nintendo see we want a better plot, and better sidequests?

Years
    Deviruchi said:
    Flannery just lost her grandpa and now is the GL. Oh, wow. At least the Mang? emphasys on the Gym Leaders MUCH more than the Game and the Anime. You can see the intense battle of GLs vs Aqua/Magma at the Hoenn Series, and GLs vs E4 in the Kanto ones.

The Sabrina episodes were one of the best of the 1st Season. They had some intersting story at least, not just "Save the guy in need and battle Team Rocket".

Now, forgetting the GB Games for a while, Pok?mon Colosseum's Snagem and Cipher were way better plots than Magma/Aqua/Rocket. I mean, let's look what they had at Colosseum: No Gym Leaders. So they could emphasys more in the story. Even that the main plot for the game is battling the Gym Leaders and the E4, I completely agree there should be more subplots, other then battling a random Team. Thinking of it, at FR/LG Sevii Islands, Team Rocket had a great appaerance. I mean, all Sevii Quests, other then very very sub ones, the main thing you had to do was to discover the Rocket Passwords and fight them, while trying to get the Ruby and the Sapphire. If they could make things like that [I.E.: You are fighting a GL, then a Rocket guy enters in the Gym and steal the badges. Then before having to fight the Gym Leader, you'd had to go on a quest with, hmm, the same size of the FR/LG Sevii, to get the badge back. Why can't Nintendo see we want a better plot, and better sidequests?

I agree they definitely had some fun in Special from what I saw. I guess to compensate for their overall blandness in the other formats.

Sabrina was amusing to see and we watched as they didn't make the GL a good guy (unlike Johto's GLs) but a tragically flawed little girl in a teenager's body with super powers. That gives the anime more credence but also hollow as we don't see that type of characterization much, and undermines the conversion process.

I won't get to FR/LG's subplot of the Islands as I don't have the games but it was a nice touch and continuition of the subplot of the Rockets. As for the other groups, it was hard to show much concern for them, although Magma addresses a real world problem and Cipher has more screen time devoted to them. But the issue with Nintendo, could be more laziness, as they're established. What made R/B and G/S was they had to give their top effort to impress and prove lightning strikes twice whereas R/S/E was more "been there, done that", and phone in the game really. And they could take a cue from the anime with separate tasks or twists in the plot but they won't.

Because it's a cookie cutter archetype the traditional RPG is in and too lazy and comfortable to change, that's why.

But it's funny to point its foibles. ;)

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
    My favorites are Falkner and Blaine. Falkner because of bird pokemon and Blaine because of the battle with Charizard and he pwns.

Back