• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Rival

Favourite Rival

• Total voters

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
  • I'd probably go for Silver, since he actually character development throughout the (post-)game and most of them don't have (much of) that.

Years
  • I'll go for cheren, I liked the way he was far ahead of us before starting journey (he knew everything from types to pokedex)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Probably Silver and Wally are my two favourites.

Wally is unique in the first four generations in that he doesn't look down on you, but rather up to you, which is a nice change. Could have done with him appearing a bit more in Emerald but hey, at least he fully evolves his first pokémon, and May / Brendan is possibly the worst of the smug rivals as someone who is never demonstrably good at any aspect of pokémon.

Silver has the most actual character (in HeartGold / SoulSilver at least) as well as pretty solid taste in pokémon, a good design and great battle music too.

I feel like Blue is the weakest of the first 4 generations where you only really had one rival - he just seems too stuck up like yeah, you're good at catching pokémon because your grandad does but you keep getting your ass handed to you on a Charizard-toasted platter by Red and never once learn any humility? Barry's better than him in that sense because he does have a little bit of growth (it also makes sense that the son of a Frontier Brain would become one of the most powerful trainers ever, by levels at least).

I stopped playing at Gen V and I definitely think they have the worst rivals.

Years
  • I always answer this question the same way, I just love Blue as a rival. He's the perfect 'jerk' character and the fact that he's always one step ahead of you, even in becoming the champion creates a great rivalry. Also, he's one of the only rivals that seems like a rival in a way, Silver too but he's just an outright criminal.

Guest123123

Wally. I like his backstory. I wish he appeared more though. If I were making RSE or ORAS I'd have Wally be battled more than Brendan/May. Brendan/May was more about helping Professor Birch with research, whereas Wally was trying to improve his condition and do things he originally wasn't sure he could do. Wally just seems to be more fitting for a main rival than Brendan/May.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Blue will always be my favorite. He was the best because he was a total jerk. It was fun hating him, and the fact that despite you always could beat him, he was always somehow one step ahead of you.

Most of the rivals now are either your best friend, or want to be better than you, but not because they are jerks. I will say Silver comes as my second favorite, but he wasn't your rival because he was just a plain jerk. He had sinister goals that you followed him into and sabotaged.
    I guess Blue is an attractive rival to me mostly because he provides the satisfaction of beating up your childhood bully.

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
  • Was there really a question. Blue is the only real rival in the game. You two hate each other and Blue has that Jerk attitude that most people have in rivals. Most rivals today are your BFFs battling for the hell of it. In Red and Blue they weren't battling for the hell of it. They battled to prove themselves, to show the other whos dominant, to see their rival finally admit that the other was better and think this wasn't a new guy who you picked to be your rival lie in gold and silver but a man you knew since you were a baby. This conflict has went on for years and it your job to end it.

Not to mention he was champion for 5 minutes.

Back