• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Fire types necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Say you choose totodile for your starter, Can you build an effective team without a fire type or are they somewhat more necassary?

If they are i was just thinking of trading for a cyndaquil since i can't really think of any good one's i'd want to use early on in the game. If not though, any suggestions for a good replacement?

Team i have in mind as of this moment is:

Totodile

Oddish

Mareep

Bronzor

Swinub

Furret (HM slave)

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Depending which game you get there are other Fire types available. I wouldn't necessarily say they are a necessity. If you have a few strong pokemon it really shouldn't matter.

Vulpix - SS
    Growlithe - HG

Those two should suffice for a Fire type. Those two version exclusives aren't bad as replacements.

Then there are these.

Ponyta
    Rapidash
    Magmar
    Flareon
    Slugma
    Magcargo
    Houdour
    Houndoom

These are also available in either game pre-national dex. So not choosing Cyndaquil is far from not having a capable Fire type.

Years
    Well I will say its much easier to beat Jasmine if you have a fire type. Ive chosen a Magmar to start training, just for something different.

Years
    you can get a slugma egg at violet city

will show you how

I've never tried using a slugma in pokemon before..idk why but i think i'll give that a go this time around! Thank you for the link and the info!
    :D

Depending which game you get there are other Fire types available. I wouldn't necessarily say they are a necessity. If you have a few strong pokemon it really shouldn't matter.

Vulpix - SS
    Growlithe - HG

Those two should suffice for a Fire type. Those two version exclusives aren't bad as replacements.

Then there are these.

Ponyta
    Rapidash
    Magmar
    Flareon
    Slugma
    Magcargo
    Houdour
    Houndoom

These are also available in either game pre-national dex. So not choosing Cyndaquil is far from not having a capable Fire type.

I'm actually playing soul silver. I've used vulpix quite a few times though i'm leaning towards something different. I wasn't aware i was able to obtain a slugma pre-national dex and i'm thinking of giving that a try. I don't gen restart my game and i enjoy building new teams after beating it but i had to send my ds off for repair and just got it back so i think a restart isn't all that bad so a new team is def. in order.
    :)

Thank you for the advice!

Well I will say its much easier to beat Jasmine if you have a fire type. Ive chosen a Magmar to start training, just for something different.

I didn't think about that actually..honestly i was only thinking about gyms before kanto for some reason. Good thing you brought that up lol. I've decided to go for a Slugma just for a change since i've never used it before..though i've only used magmar way back in the old blue and red games so i should make a team with him on it now sometime. That's the one thing i love about soul silver and heart gold, more access to the older pokes
    :D

Last edited:
    Years
    Well if it came down to a choice between Magmar and what would eventually be Magcargo.
    You would pick Magmar everytime.
    Magcargo has below par stats and movepool and really is one of the worst fire types you can find.
    Id get it just for dex completion. Pick something stronger for your in game team though.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Well, you don't really need a fire type. The coverage they give is "meh" at best and is completely made up for by having Oddish, so no, you don't need one.

If you do choose to use one, do not, whatever you do, get Magcargo. It is positively the worst fire-type in the game.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Yeah, fire types are not needed. In fact no type is 'needed' - some just happen to help more than others at different stages of the game. If you want one vulpix/growlithe line (depending on your game) are both decent, as is Magmar.

Hence going to close - anything you use will generally do fine as long as you train your Pokemon enough. If you want more team advice, make a thread in the In-game Team Help section (and include stuff like movesets perhaps as info like that is easier to give advice about).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back