• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen First game

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    This is my first Pokemon game. I had gotten to the second gym then restarted. I was wandering if it is better to evolve the Pokemon when they reach the right level or hold off. I had a Fennekin and a few others and the gym stomped my butt. I'm aware of Ev Iv and Natures. What is the best nature for froakie. I've seen modest for special attack but water shuriken is physical >.< So confusing. I can't even decide who I want on my team. All replies appreciated

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    This is my first Pokemon game. I had gotten to the second gym then restarted. I was wandering if it is better to evolve the Pokemon when they reach the right level or hold off. I had a Fennekin and a few others and the gym stomped my butt. I'm aware of Ev Iv and Natures. What is the best nature for froakie. I've seen modest for special attack but water shuriken is physical >.< So confusing. I can't even decide who I want on my team. All replies appreciated
    Imo, you're looking way into things for a first run of the game, or in your case, any game. I chose Froakie without looking for natures and was able to do fine.

But if you are looking to adhere to competitive aspects I'd go for one of the natures raising Special Attack and lowering one of the defenses (i.e. mild or rash), or a neutral nature, because if you want to use Water Shuriken, or in my case, Night Slash, you're going to need that Atk stat to support a mixed attacker.

As for your team, balance it out. Find Pokemon that cover all of your weaknesses.

All just my opinion though. And with exp. share, as long as you level up you should be fine.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2013
    If this is your first game and your first run through then I wouldnt worry at all about IV and natures till you complete the game, there will be plenty of time for that later. As for EVs, super training does make that a lot easier (even if it is still somewhat repetetive) just pick the two stats you want to specialize in and max them out as early as possible. With Froakie then spec attack and speed are an ok way to go as you are likely to teach it surf later in the game.

As for what to pick the game gives you two starter pokemon who will be solid right the way through the game regardless of which you choose and then you get gifted some more strong options later. When you get the exp share just leave it on and it makes it super easy to add new members to your team. Try not to have two pokemon of the same type but other than that a big part of the fun is just picking what you like the look of.

Hope this helps!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Thanks for the replies, I probably am looking to far into it haha. A friend at work has both versions and we were talking about it today and he was like "I have the Mega Ring" I looked at him like I was going to cut him and was like "I can't even get passed the second damn gym leader!" I think what it was is I wasn't evolving my pokemon when they tried to. I was looking online to find the move pools for each one that I planned on using to find out when to evolve them. He said if you leave the exp share on all the time it pretty much makes the game to easy almost as you don't even really have to try leveling haha. When I settle down for the night to play I'm goin to soft reset for a good nature for my starter and just go from there. Still unsure of who I want in my party tho so :/ If I go Froakie I'll have water/dark then torchic for fire/fighting then bulbasaur for grass and then I can snag a Pikachu for elec that'll give me 3 slots for whatever I guess.

That's another thing, should I bother delaying their evolutions or just let them go and then when I finish everything and start doing the online competitive worry about breeding new natures ev's etc...

Edit: As for surf I'm saving that for the special Lapras you get so I can see the special animation :3 (kinda read through the Kalos Guidebook XD Oooops)

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    I always leave IV and EV for post-game; I rather be enjoying the main plot than fret about those things.
    I'd love to take things slow with the storyline, and I love to breed and hatch eggs post-games, giving me times to train them faster (Since you will have access to the whole region.).

And no, holding off evolution doesn't means much imo, unless you meant Pokemon like Pikachu/ Nidorina whom will not learn any new moves after they evolve - You should just look at Serebii for more informations on moves learned via. levelling up.

ALL Laprases will have the special Surf animation.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    The evolution thing I meant with like for example Froakie. They learn moves faster then their later evolutions. But is it better to evolve them or will they benefit more?

I looked on Serebii before but they didn't have the moves up at the time :/

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Serebii should have the moves up now, at least for the new Pokemon.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    Sometimes evolutions get different moves than early forms so you should check their moves before evolving, if you're worried that much. Generally though, if you don't care that your pokemon is really weak as long as you get the move early, don't evolve it. If it being really weak is cramping your style, evolve it.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    If this is your first game, then just have fun with it and put the technical stuff aside for now. If you've got other questions though, then please don't be afraid to use our Quick Q&A.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back