• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

G1NM: Crystal Part 1- This All Seems Familiar [Entry #1]

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    250px-Crystal_EN_boxart.png

Hey, JaDe here! And welcome to the kickoff of Genwunner No More!

As the name of this blog implies, I have largely stuck to RBY/FRLG. This isn't to say that I haven't played any other generations, I've actually owned all of the games from the first 3 generations, but I have consistently gone back to replay Gen I.

But not anymore. I will be playing through the generations one by one starting with Gen II. This will be a blog of my journey through the games beyond the Gen 1 and their remakes. So without further ado, Let's Play Pokémon Crystal!

The journey begins with the typical 'naming of the character,' but this time with the exciting bonus of choosing our gender. Why, I'm a boy, thank you for asking, bodiless voice floating through the darkness.
    qzFM8k0.png

Once I set my clock and mom gives me a lecture on how to use a backpack, I am on my way to Professor Elm's lab. Don't pay any attention to the kid staring through the lab's side window; I'm sure he's not up to anything nefarious. Besides, I need to see what super special mission Professor Elm has for me. Oh how exciting, I get to be an errand boy for him… After using the mystical powers of asking-my-girlfriend-which-starter-to-choose, Totodile will be my first companion. His name is Kansas (because of Toto, from Wizard of Oz... Get it?)
    DI6B8Iy.png

After navigating through Route 29 and beating some tiny rodents and birds, I arrive in Cherrygrove City. I take the world's most obvious tour of what buildings/roads are used for, and get a free map out of it. (I preferred having Gary's sister just give me one to spite him.)
    GHqbp9d.png

Without any Pokéballs (seriously, what kind of Pokémart doesn't keep them stocked) I continue training Kansas on Route 30 until we reach Mr. Pokémon's house. The mysterious item he has is an egg. Seriously, what kind of researchers are these people that they've never seen an egg before?! While there, Professor Oak is so impressed by my skills of walking one town over that he knows I will be a great trainer and entrusts me with a Pokédex.
    5n6el3f.png

The moment I step out the door, Professor Elm calls me and mumbles incoherently before hanging up. I rush back through Cherrygrove City but that red-headed kid stops me for a battle before I can get back onto Route 29. What a fool, his Chikorita is still level 5, it's like he's never played a Pokémon game before. With Kansas at level 9, he doesn't even take down a quarter of his health. Who's the wimp now?
    lCOmqhp.png
    hV0N9hq.png
    q7bpt1g.png

I get back to the lab and the police are there. It turns out that the red-head actually was up to something nefarious... Sorry, that was my bad. At least I get to name him; and what better name is there than the nasty little ankle biter that he is: 'RatDog'.
    RUFwQfK.png
    bsvtgTZ.png

I drop off the egg and as I'm leaving I receive some Pokéballs from the lab assistant, finally. I go tell my mom that she won't be touching a penny of my cash. Now it's time to build up my team, and how lucky that I can skip this game's catching tutorial! The first Pokémon I encounter on Route 29 is a Hoothoot, and she is as good as caught. Using the mystical powers of asking-my-girlfriend-what-to-name-it, Feathers is now officially the second member of the party. I heal up in Cherrygrove City and head to Route 30 for the second time. Not far into the grass a wild Spinarak appears. Feathers is able to get its health low enough for me to catch it and I don't miss the opportunity. But what should I name him?
    BbOetd5.png
    nZHCYCE.png

This is the point where I will be ending G1NM: Crystal Part 1. Thank you so much for reading! If you have a suggestion for what Spinarak's name should be, tell me down in the comments. Thanks again and I'll see you soon.​

Back