• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Devolpment Newsletter

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Time to be blunt and realistic..this kinda sucks.

First of all, the reviewing is completely biased. You're saying they're all great games when, in reality, they're not. They're mediocre at best. Secondly, the "reviews" are way too short and aren't even reviews, you're just briefly explaining what the game is. Thirdly, the grammar is poor. It's not very readable, using correct grammar is pretty important in a newsletter. Fourthly, it looks ugly. Why make something like this in MSPaint? Avatar's layout was waaay better and it's just stubborn-ness on your part to not use his. Fifthly, it doesn't need to be stickied. A stickied thread should be an important thread that people need to see, this isn't one of them. Next, the threads are right in front of everyone anyway, and they usually contain a lot more info and screenshots. Lastly, you spelt "Game Development" wrong multiple times.

If you really, really want to make this work then take my advice. Put together a small team, and I emphasise the word "small". Get someone who has been around for a while and knows what a good game is and is capable of giving a negative but completely honest review of a game. I think Avatar would be a great choice, providing he's willing to do it.
    Also, most game magazines have a small section where they list the "Good Points" and "Bad Points" of the game they're reviewing. That'd be a good little addition.
    Make it bigger. Everything is squashed together and looks nasty. You have the whole page width in front of you, use it. It's 511 pixels wide, it could easily be 800-900 pixels wide without stretching the screen at all. This will provide space for more writing, and you will actually be able to provide opinions on the game instead of just a brief analysis of it.
    Don't refuse help when it's being offered to you, you need it.
    Please unsticky it, it's not a thread worth stickying. Take it from an ex-mod.
    Make sure it's proof read before posting it. Make it so it's actually enjoyable to read otherwise it's just annoying.

Sorry for the rant but I'm completely bored with squat to do. Don't take offense to this, I'm merely giving you my honest opinion.

Years
    I was not going to post here again, but seeing as you threatened to report me if I "took over your thread", you've forced me to do so. What the? Why would I have a reason to take over this thread?
    Geez, you try to lend a helping hand and you get a threatened with a report, some thanks.
    Not only do you not have much ground in your report, but you also pissed me off, good job.

After reading Dawson's post, I can't really say anything than that I totally agree with most of his points. I could gather over 10+ people that would disagree with you on almost all points in this Newsletter.
    Seeing as you're not really critical in this newsletter, I'd like to ask you, what is the point in you making these than?

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
    ye, I agree with Dawson and Avatar, I don't have anything against you but I don't see why not taking other people ideas, Avatar wasn't "taking over your thread" buthe was trying to give you help.... and now with your attitude I bet he isn't willing to help anymore, as for me I would write some of the reviews but I don't want to be accused of "taking over your reviews" so I'll just keep going to every thread and checking stuff out like I always do. Oh, and you missed one game that had the right to be the best of the best and go on this newsletter as the number one pokemon game which is "Pokemon: Call of Latios" and another thing you should have in mind is that you cannot just write a rating based on your opinion and the star rating in each thread as most of the time is the game author himself that votes 5 for his own game ¬_¬
    I think for the rating you should make some kind of poll where everyone votes so that we can have a proper rating but as I don't want to "take over" anything that is yours I'll be outta here :P

Budgie_boy

A bold new journey awaits
    Years
    Now, now people, less disaggreements more of the focus on the games and reviews!

HE DID SAY HE WAS SORRY, and I do understand that you guys have excellent points to discuss, maybe you should get 3people to review some of the games that are up here!

Squirrel_

Ending It All
    Years
    Alright. Why did i make this? To have a way for people to check what is in. Why should i put crappy games in here? To give it a bad review? No.

As for everyone else if you dont like my idea dont post. Dawson and Avatar why dont you make your own thread and get people to come there. Go ahead avatar get 10 people. I should get a mod to close this because ONLY budgie boy said anything good about this thread AFTER avatar's layout.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2006
    Dont! This thread has a lot of potential. Really. I would love to help you in any way squirrel. If you form a group I'll help you. I think this could be one of the greatest things to hit pokecommunity, and doesn't deserve to be closed.

You did start this thread and as long as you arent breakin any rules you can continue it. Who cares what others have to say. You do w.e. you want. I liked the first issue alot.

Years
    Squirrel said:
    Alright. Why did i make this? To have a way for people to check what is in. Why should i put crappy games in here? To give it a bad review? No.
    You have to be critical if you're going to make a newsletter, in which case you're not. Ever read an official Gamer mag?

Squirrel said:
    Go ahead avatar get 10 people. I should get a mod to close this because ONLY budgie boy said anything good about this thread AFTER avatar's layout.
    And that gives you a reason to threaten me with a report? The end does not justify the means.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2006
    Avatar. No offense, but what you are saying isnt helping at all. This was started by him and he has a right to do what he wants. This isn't an offical newsletter, it just gives us an overview of games around here that arent getting the attention they should. This isn't even the first week and already people are hassling him. He will make the next issue better, but you cant expect everything the way you want it.

Years
    dan48 said:
    Avatar. No offense, but what you are saying isnt helping at all. This was started by him and he has a right to do what he wants. This isn't an offical newsletter, it just gives us an overview of games around here that arent getting the attention they should. This isn't even the first week and already people are hassling him. He will make the next issue better, but you cant expect everything the way you want it.
    Did you even read my posts at all? I wasn't planning on posting here after I posted my design, till I got a PM where I was threatened to be reported by Squirrel, that I do not tolerate.

Cursed

Godking Ragnarok CXVII
    Years
    Demonic Budha said:
    Why must they have this "your message is too short thing?
    I asked Claire last month, and she said that it's because they want people to put effort into their posts.

pepsi.max

[ game designer ]
    Years
    i hate the short post thing. but back on track.

can u plz feature Pokemon Erba in it. i am going to post some more information on it soon!

Back