• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Informer's "Sacred Cow BBQ" insults Pokemon

joacen

Starter Pokemon: Oshawott
Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    I was looking through the Nov. 2010 issue of Game Informer, and I came across a section called "Sacred Cow Barbecue" (I have only recently subscribed to Game Informer). This section basically bashes popular video game franchises, choosing ones that the GI staff thinks are "headed for the garbage dump of history."

And in this section was Pokemon! The GI writers claim that "Nintendo has been releasing the same game over and over again for well over a decade." In the most basic sense, this is true. But, the article continues to say "it's no wonder that the traditional, turn-based RPG is dying a slow death, given how millions of children now grow up thinking that 'RPG' means an 'incredibly boring slog interspersed with painfully simple battles between mutant stuffed animals........' it's basically a dumbed down version of Rock, Paper, Scissors, but with worse graphics."

I find this completely outrageous. I kind of agree with GI when they say that Pokemon has been the same game for the past 10 years. Basically, that's true, but not only with Pokemon, also Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Call of Duty, and many other popular game franchises. Also, Pokemon has always been adding new and exciting features to its games. If it was the same old game every time, no one would buy it anymore.

Among the other games the GI writers think are destined for doom: World of Warcraft, Resident Evil 4, and God of War.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hi, GI. I'm Nintendo. I making a lot of money from this franchise that's "heading into the garbage dump of history." What are you doing? You're a bunch of 40 year old twits sitting on your greasy couches at home typing up bad reviews to make your living when you secretly have a DS and a copy of HeartGold under your fat ass. So boys (cause I imagine none of you can get girls), have a nice day playing your copy of Halo, which totally isn't the same game over and over again.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
  • Maybe they were using that thing...how is called?...ah, irony.
    I haven't read the article but I think that their aim was to say to gamefreak to renovate a bit their franchaise that has a lot of "old things".
    I don't totally agree on the story, because in B/W I see a lot of improvement:
    Spoiler:

however I would love to see in the next gen a new battle system that really changes the rules (something like FF XII vs FF VII-X), instead of renovating only the pokedex. And also sub-quest. Or new way of training pokemon. (and a lot more)
    And BTW, I wonder what they have said of sonic...

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013

It had to be posted. If Pokemon is a sinking ship, why the heck are they still producing toys, or developing spin-offs and sequels? What of Bulbapedia and Serebii? They're big sites, and they're still up and running. So long as it continues to be profitable, it will go on, basically.

Heh, Google says people are raging over the inclusion of God of War as well. Seems they didn't choose too well.
    Nearest I can tell, they're just finding bad things to say about whatever game they pull out of a hat, nothing personal.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It's Game Informer. This sort of crap is to be expected of them. Really, I don't take anything that magazine says seriously.

B/W might not be my cup of tea (yet) but there is no denying that the Pokemon franchise isn't going away anytime soon.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    The only thing that came through my mind when I read that was "Apparently these guys have never played a single Zelda game before".
    GameInformer doesn't have the best writers, but this is just awful.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • When I saw the article in my issue of GameInformer, a started laughing. Seriously, I did. Those guys can bash Pokemon all they want, it's still running strong. So let's all watch Pokemon grow and gain truckloads of money while these guys are sitting in their mom's basement, giggling over COD and Halo (Both of which are essentially "The same game over and over again")

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • So I went to Wikipedia to check these guys out. Apparently they're main audience are people who are aged 18-34. Really at that age in modern society if you have time to buy and read this crap then you're probably one of the people applying for a job to write this crap.

Really I don't mind them trying to say Pokemon is dying and it's bad sine I know some people don't like the same concept in every game. But when you mess with RPG games in general then you've gone too far. RPG games will never die, why do you think people still play and buy the first Final Fantasy every time it gets re-released even though practically nothing has changed not even the graphics or the battle system. Turn based RPG games like Final Fantasy and Pokemon are still just as strong as they were 10 years ago.

Years
  • Hi, GI. I'm Nintendo. I making a lot of money from this franchise that's "heading into the garbage dump of history." What are you doing? You're a bunch of 40 year old twits sitting on your greasy couches at home typing up bad reviews to make your living when you secretly have a DS and a copy of HeartGold under your fat ass. So boys (cause I imagine none of you can get girls), have a nice day playing your copy of Halo, which totally isn't the same game over and over again.
    Hehe, I was just about to type up something similar to this.

Those 40 year-olds are "mature" gamers, so they only play "mature" games and bash on "immature" ones.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I kind of agree with GI when they say that Pokemon has been the same game for the past 10 years. Also, Pokemon has always been adding new and exciting features to its games. If it was the same old game every time, no one would buy it anymore.
    If they would actually do some "research" instead of talking out their asses then they would see the series over the years has evolved so to speak with different features and other aspects in the game like natures, evs, Double Battles, Triple Battles. Creating areas like Battle Frontier that add repeat playability after the general story is complete. Of course Pokemon for the most part has stayed the same for the last 10 years, why would they deviate from a product that is selling just fine. If they are actually implying that the Pokemon Franchise is dying that is laughable considering the Japanese Version of Black and White garnered at least 1.5 Million pre-orders alone.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • Don't you guys understand that this is all a joke? I used to be a subscriber and I saw them pull off this kind of publicity stunt all the time. The way I can tell that Sacred Cow BBQ's are over the top parodies is by looking at the reviews. Months later, the games that they just bashed usually end up getting their newest installments praised in a new review or get an entire Classic GI devoted to them.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    I was looking through the Nov. 2010 issue of Game Informer, and I came across a section called "Sacred Cow Barbecue" (I have only recently subscribed to Game Informer). This section basically bashes popular video game franchises, choosing ones that the GI staff thinks are "headed for the garbage dump of history."

And in this section was Pokemon! The GI writers claim that "Nintendo has been releasing the same game over and over again for well over a decade." In the most basic sense, this is true. But, the article continues to say "it's no wonder that the traditional, turn-based RPG is dying a slow death, given how millions of children now grow up thinking that 'RPG' means an 'incredibly boring slog interspersed with painfully simple battles between mutant stuffed animals........' it's basically a dumbed down version of Rock, Paper, Scissors, but with worse graphics."

I find this completely outrageous. I kind of agree with GI when they say that Pokemon has been the same game for the past 10 years. Basically, that's true, but not only with Pokemon, also Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Call of Duty, and many other popular game franchises. Also, Pokemon has always been adding new and exciting features to its games. If it was the same old game every time, no one would buy it anymore.

Among the other games the GI writers think are destined for doom: World of Warcraft, Resident Evil 4, and God of War.

And we are supposed to care why?

Some people don't like Pokemon. We should know this by now...

gregory_turner420

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • these people are just ignorant dumb nuts who can't make a game so they bash every one elses hard work. almost all games and there sequels are the same thing with new features or different story line so that would kinda put every game ever made into that category

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • Now listen hear GI, yall are a big bunch of freakin fartheads thinkin pokemon is going into the "garbage dump of history".

Case settled, GI needs to get sued and they are fags!

PS: They can sit on it and twirl for all i care

PSS: I agree Sydian!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Now listen hear GI, yall are a big bunch of freakin fartheads thinkin pokemon is going into the "garbage dump of history".

Case settled, GI needs to get sued and they are fags!

PS: They can sit on it and twirl for all i care

PSS: I agree Sydian!

Hey, calm down now. They did do something wrong when they defamed a popular series in an article that defames popular series, but calling them fartheads is pretty cold-hearted.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yeah Reshiram Man, calling them fags can be taken offensively since that is a derogitory term for homosexual males. Try to you know like...not say that, please. Fartheads is acceptable...I guess, lol.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
  • These authors think they're cool and edgy by bashing popular franchises. But they're really just another band of conformists.

A black sheep is still a sheep.:bandit:

pichuspark

looooooooooooooool :3
    Years
  • Ah, sarcasm *sighs*

Either way! This is why I don't want to suscribe to GI (jk). But that's kind of dumb. How much do these guys wanna bet that these kids don't even KNOW what genre Pokemon belongs in? But then again, it's money, dear girls/boys. Really, if you get paid like what? 500-1,000 dollars just to thrash a game like Pokemon for the lulz, wouldn't you do it?

Then again, Nintendo gets paid the big bucks. Like Sydian said, these twits can bash Pokemon as well as other games in their stupid little section dedicated to games that are going to the garbage dump, but they'll just get bombarded with hate mail, death threats, unsucription notices, etc.

(And besides, these games will probably get remembered and mayhaps honored :P)

Back