• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GameFreak Wants Sun & Moon To Be The Definitive Pokemon Experience

Years
    The "it all comes together" quote in the Direct reveal has me intrigued, that's for sure. They could be talking about game features, storylines, anything. It'll be interesting to see what they mean by that. As for character customization, I do hope they go past skin tones and hair color, I think it would be a little bit of a letdown if they didn't. But remember though, we didn't get enough game footage to prove or disprove the feature of changing clothes and hairstyle length, and IIRC the first trailer for XY didn't reveal a whole lot about that feature either.

It is definitely interesting they're not showing much, because when we had trailers that showcased a new feature we never had much of it shown in its first appearance, and only got more info later, around close to the release.

ZangooseClaw

Pokemon Philosopher
    Years
    Creating a definitive experience is only going to harm future installments, because they'll always try to be compared to Sun and Moon and bash it for not being like it. Just ask the Zelda fanbase with the post-OoT games.

This is what I'm worried about as well. Do I want the ultimate Pokemon experience with every great feature from recent games plus a few new ones crammed into one game? YES! Do I want this to be the final playable and enjoyable Pokemon main-series, while the developer scratch their heads trying to re-invent the wheel? NO!

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    If you look at this in this sense, Gamefreak probably wants this game to probably be the best due to it being the 20th year of Pokémon right? They don't want to bring out an average new Gen 7 similar to Gen 6 on this important year, they want it to be wonderful. At the same time, they'd could've of picked any year to have all this hype for Pokémon right? What if it could be the last gen? I know it's kinda of a long shot from Pokémon being this huge successful franchise, but think about it. When will Pokémon stop? When they have over 10,000+ Pokémon? The more generations they put out, the more editing they have to do to the improving more complicated graphics, the more the work, the less passion for the actual game. Plus, the phrase "it all comes together", maybe it means "all coming together in the end." I don't know, like I said, it's a long shot.

Last edited:

Pretty Wing

きれいなハネ
    Years
    Nothing stopping them from bringing back dexnav though, the REAL best feature.

Ah yes, it'd be a real shame to leave the DexNav as an ORAS exclusive. It worked so well as a feature and made catching Pokémon a lot more exciting. Even more so when we'll have no idea as to who's going to show up on a said route during one's first playthrough of SM!

Character customisation is 90% confirmed at this point, yes? In regards to following Pokémon, I'd also totally settle for it being a starter-exclusive feature. It'd press fans to actually use them during playthrough (I often do not, unless they're cute enough, tis my aesthetic); whilst saving space and appeasing the fans who want the feature to return so desperately. Overall I'm not particular fussed though.

Pokémon Amie and Super Training must stay, also. I'm hoping!

Years
    Character customisation is 90% confirmed at this point, yes? In regards to following Pokémon, I'd also totally settle for it being a starter-exclusive feature. It'd press fans to actually use them during playthrough (I often do not, unless they're cute enough, tis my aesthetic); whilst saving space and appeasing the fans who want the feature to return so desperately. Overall I'm not particular fussed though.

Pokémon Amie and Super Training must stay, also. I'm hoping!

The only thing we seem to know about customization at this stage is skin and hair colours, notably with the fact both gender protagonists now get a black-skinned option alongside the three returning skins from X/Y.

Years
    Like what was mentioned above, we'll need to wait for more evidence of different clothing before we can come to a conclusion on if customization of clothes will be back.

Pretty Wing

きれいなハネ
    Years
    The only thing we seem to know about customization at this stage is skin and hair colours, notably with the fact both gender protagonists now get a black-skinned option alongside the three returning skins from X/Y.

Ah I see! Ultimately that would be okay with me, should we not be able to customise. I'm just super happy GF is pushing equal representation. One of my Nigerian friends always used to lament about it when I introduced her to B/W; so it is a very important feature. (Imo more so than clothing customisation.)

Female protag's hat has to go, though.

Years
    Ah I see! Ultimately that would be okay with me, should we not be able to customise. I'm just super happy GF is pushing equal representation. One of my Nigerian friends always used to lament about it when I introduced her to B/W; so it is a very important feature. (Imo more so than clothing customisation.)

Female protag's hat has to go, though.

I do admit XY was mainly a testing ground as to what was to come, and SM felt like the finished product. It is really great seeing how since breaking from the Japan-based regions trend we have been seeing people of colour appearing in Pokemon and to now have it apply to the protagonist shows just how inclusive the franchise has been getting, such as Sun & Moon now including Chinese languages, coming very soon after a recent lifting of the console ban in China.

Back